Best Approach for Sydney Harbour Bridge

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Kimon, Mar 16, 2006.

  1. Kimon

    Kimon Guest

    What is the best approach to get onto the SHB bike lane from the South?
    What about the the North?

    TIA

    K.,

    Tags:

  2. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:24:48 -0800, Kimon wrote:

    > What is the best approach to get onto the SHB bike lane from the South?
    > What about the the North?

    From the South I like either Clarence or Kent, then up on the (allowed)
    footpath to Observatory Hill.

    From the North there's a cycleway through North Sydney from just near the
    station, but I find it easier to head down toward Blues Pt until the
    next lights and go left there. That brings you out to the roundabout at
    Milsons Pt, where you go right, then left just past the station.

    The stairs are rideable in both directions if you're keen.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    If you can do a job with power tools, then that's the

  3. Owen

    Owen Guest

    Kimon wrote:
    > What is the best approach to get onto the SHB bike lane from the South?
    > What about the the North?

    As a visitor I spent a bit of time trying to find the answer to the same
    question. Here's a pdf with map

    http://oc.site.net.au/cycling/shb.pdf

    Owen

  4. Fractal

    Fractal Guest

    Nah, who needs stairs, just use the car lanes. Surprised that no one does,
    except for maybe some tourists blundering around. probably no worse than
    the rest of Sydney roads. From Kent you can pretend you are going to use the
    car lanes to go over the Bridge and go up about 200 m or so to where there
    is an exit/entry for emergency vehicles on the left and get onto the
    footpath from there. This saves a steep climb on the footpath over the
    Cahill Expressway cutting. Just look out for cars merging on your left from
    the Cahill.

    There was a recent story in the paper about a cyclist who fell off going
    down the stairs, broke just about every bone except his neck - risky. No way
    to stop once committed, and pedals can touch the steps on the central
    wheeling ramp.

    bobm

    "Random Data" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:24:48 -0800, Kimon wrote:
    >
    >> What is the best approach to get onto the SHB bike lane from the South?
    >> What about the the North?

    > From the South I like either Clarence or Kent, then up on the (allowed)
    > footpath to Observatory Hill.
    >
    > From the North there's a cycleway through North Sydney from just near the
    > station, but I find it easier to head down toward Blues Pt until the
    > next lights and go left there. That brings you out to the roundabout at
    > Milsons Pt, where you go right, then left just past the station.
    >
    > The stairs are rideable in both directions if you're keen.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    > If you can do a job with power tools, then that's the
    > right way to do it. - Joe Zeff

  5. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 07:36:56 +0000, Fractal wrote:

    > From Kent you can pretend you are going to use the car lanes to go over
    > the Bridge and go up about 200 m or so to where there is an exit/entry
    > for emergency vehicles on the left and get onto the footpath from there.
    > This saves a steep climb on the footpath over the Cahill Expressway
    > cutting. Just look out for cars merging on your left from the Cahill.

    I reckon the little pinch is a lot nicer than playing tag with the cars
    there. They're accelerating hard and I've had a few run ins with couriers
    and taxis.

    > There was a recent story in the paper about a cyclist who fell off going
    > down the stairs, broke just about every bone except his neck - risky. No
    > way to stop once committed, and pedals can touch the steps on the
    > central wheeling ramp.

    I've stopped going up and down a few times, and I've tagged pedals and
    stayed up going both ways. Hell, you can chuck stoppies going down and
    still get the back down without too much trouble. I suspect the guy who
    stacked was either going way too fast or panic braked.

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    Real children don't go hoppity-skip unless they are on drugs

  6. FlashGordon

    FlashGordon Guest

    Back in 1986 I use to ride from Rose Bay to North Sydney pool and use the
    bridge deck with the few cars there where at 5:30 - 6:00am until one foggy
    day when I almost ran up the rear of a broken down car. Did not see it's
    lights till almost on top of it. From that day on thought if I cannot see
    the car what hope has a car seeing me!

    Gordon
    "Fractal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Nah, who needs stairs, just use the car lanes. Surprised that no one
    > does, except for maybe some tourists blundering around. probably no worse
    > than the rest of Sydney roads. From Kent you can pretend you are going to
    > use the car lanes to go over the Bridge and go up about 200 m or so to
    > where there is an exit/entry for emergency vehicles on the left and get
    > onto the footpath from there. This saves a steep climb on the footpath
    > over the Cahill Expressway cutting. Just look out for cars merging on your
    > left from the Cahill.
    >
    > There was a recent story in the paper about a cyclist who fell off going
    > down the stairs, broke just about every bone except his neck - risky. No
    > way to stop once committed, and pedals can touch the steps on the central
    > wheeling ramp.
    >
    > bobm
    >
    > "Random Data" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]
    >> On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 19:24:48 -0800, Kimon wrote:
    >>
    >>> What is the best approach to get onto the SHB bike lane from the South?
    >>> What about the the North?

    >> From the South I like either Clarence or Kent, then up on the (allowed)
    >> footpath to Observatory Hill.
    >>
    >> From the North there's a cycleway through North Sydney from just near the
    >> station, but I find it easier to head down toward Blues Pt until the
    >> next lights and go left there. That brings you out to the roundabout at
    >> Milsons Pt, where you go right, then left just past the station.
    >>
    >> The stairs are rideable in both directions if you're keen.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Dave Hughes | [email protected].net
    >> If you can do a job with power tools, then that's the
    >> right way to do it. - Joe Zeff

  7. Kimon

    Kimon Guest

    Owen wrote:
    > Kimon wrote:
    > > What is the best approach to get onto the SHB bike lane from the South?
    > > What about the the North?
    > >

    > As a visitor I spent a bit of time trying to find the answer to the same
    > question. Here's a pdf with map
    >

    > http://oc.site.net.au/cycling/shb.pdf

    Awesome. Thanks, dude.

  8. In aus.bicycle on 22 Mar 2006 00:35:05 -0800
    Kimon <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Owen wrote:
    >> As a visitor I spent a bit of time trying to find the answer to the same
    >> question. Here's a pdf with map
    >>

    >> http://oc.site.net.au/cycling/shb.pdf
    >>

    > Awesome. Thanks, dude.

    Only problem is you have to get up Kent St...

    Is it less hilly if you approach it from the Argyle St end?

    Zebee

  9. geoffs

    geoffs New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2003
    You are not honestly calling Kent Street a hill? :D
    I normally go up King and turn into Clarence St. and over the wee bridge at Observatory hill.
    The only problem I've had with riding down the stairs was the time I went a tad to fast and bounced my rear wheel into the air so that on the last ramp I was balancing on the front wheel only. I only just made it and scared myself silly. These days I am either on the tandem which is easy (but not with the wife on back) or the fixie which is an old track bike and to short a wheel base for me. :)

    Cheers

    Geoff

  10. Random Data

    Random Data Guest

    On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 09:06:37 +0000, Zebee Johnstone wrote:

    > Only problem is you have to get up Kent St...

    Kent's not that hard. If you're coming from the South I reckon Clarence is
    easier, since it's flatter. It's a bit of a pinch up to Observatory Hill,
    but going around the back takes forever and you've still got the climb.

    (It's not quite as steep, but longer at the North end)

    --
    Dave Hughes | [email protected]
    "Never make any mistaeks." (Anonymous, in a mail discussion.)