Best Lights

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Ctg, Mar 17, 2003.

  1. Ctg

    Ctg Guest

    I'm going to pick up lights this year so if you've got any opinions let's hear them. I don't want to
    spend more than $150 and It needs to have helmet mount and a nimh battery, no SLA's. I'm most
    familiar with niteriders and they're the most prevalent system around here but I've heard and read
    many complaints. Are they still hit or miss or has their product improved? What other companies make
    a decent light kit in your opinion?

    --
    Chris
    ________________

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm going to pick up lights this year so if you've got any opinions let's hear them. I don't want
    > to spend more than $150 and It needs to have
    helmet
    > mount and a nimh battery, no SLA's. I'm most familiar with niteriders and they're the most
    > prevalent system around here but I've heard and read many complaints. Are they still hit or miss
    > or has their product improved? What other companies make a decent light kit in your opinion?

    BLT's.

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  3. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    We have used Niterider Blowtorch HID, this winter, and had not had the slightest problem with them.
    Can ride any singletrack at night, lasts 4hrs, changed our lifes as we have been able to bike at
    night through the dark half of the year.

    However, they will cost you more than 150 USD.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html

    "ctg" <[email protected]> skrev i meddelandet news:[email protected]...
    > I'm going to pick up lights this year so if you've got any opinions let's hear them. I don't want
    > to spend more than $150 and It needs to have
    helmet
    > mount and a nimh battery, no SLA's. I'm most familiar with niteriders and they're the most
    > prevalent system around here but I've heard and read many complaints. Are they still hit or miss
    > or has their product improved? What other companies make a decent light kit in your opinion?
    >
    > --
    > Chris
    > ________________
    > www.chrisgroff.com

  4. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > I'm going to pick up lights this year so if you've got any opinions let's hear them. I don't want
    > to spend more than $150 and It needs to have
    helmet
    > mount and a nimh battery, no SLA's. I'm most familiar with niteriders and they're the most
    > prevalent system around here but I've heard and read many complaints. Are they still hit or miss
    > or has their product improved? What other companies make a decent light kit in your opinion?

    My Niterider has performed well.

  5. ctg wrote:

    > I'm going to pick up lights this year so if you've got any opinions let's hear them. I don't want
    > to spend more than $150

    I thought you said "best"?

    FWIW, I paid $199 for a Blowtorch HID at Interbike on an employee deal. ;^)

    If you can somehow swing it, no "normal" light compares. The HID's have to be tried to be believed!

    Barry

  6. Check out Turbo Cat's Trail Guide battery.... choice of lead acid, NiMH, NiCad batteries and
    anywhere from 5-15 watts. I have their dual beam set up and it has been trouble free for over two
    years. I contacted them for a second battery for endurance racing and they were super nice and
    offered me a bit of a discount, too. Great service, great product, you can't go wrong.

    If there is not a dealer near you they'll sell direct so give them a call. Check out
    www.turbocatusa.com for all info.

    > "ctg" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm going to pick up lights this year so if you've got any opinions
    let's
    > > hear them. I don't want to spend more than $150 and It needs to have
    > helmet
    > > mount and a nimh battery, no SLA's. I'm most familiar with niteriders
    and
    > > they're the most prevalent system around here but I've heard and read
    many
    > > complaints. Are they still hit or miss or has their product improved?
    What
    > > other companies make a decent light kit in your opinion?
    >
    > BLT's.
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  7. Per LöWdin

    Per LöWdin Guest

    > If you can somehow swing it, no "normal" light compares. The HID's have to be tried to be
    > believed!

    I can confirm that, ours changed our lives, bike anytime independent of daylight with them. Though,
    I think they may be best for singletrack as the beam is rather short: i.e., you have 10 m in front
    of the bike with light as good as if it was daytime.

    Possibly, if you are going fast 30-40 km/hrs on a road bike a halogen lamp with a long beam may be
    better. Not sure about this though as I have not tried one.

    Per http://user.tninet.se/~ipg289h/English.html