Best road bike in the £500-ish range

Paul Aspinall

Guest
Hi
I'm looking to get back into cycling.

I've spent a few years weight lifting, but I am now looking to trim down a
little and take up cycling, as I did in my teens.
I've had a mountain bike, but didn't take to it at all..... they're too slow
for me.

I'm unsure whether to go for an all-out road bike, or a hybrid road bike.

One of my local stores suggested I get a Bianchi via nirone 7
(http://www.bianchi.com/en/products2007/Road_Y7B07.aspx)

One other suggested a Marin fairfax
(http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2005/html/bikes/bike_specs/specs_fairfax.html)

Obviously the two bike are slightly different formats (all-out racer, vs
commute style bike).

I'm unsure which style to buy, but would appreciate advice on which you
would recommend, or any alternatives to each style of bike.

Thanks

> Obviously the two bike are slightly different formats (all-out racer,
> vs commute style bike).
>
> I'm unsure which style to buy, but would appreciate advice on which
> you would recommend, or any alternatives to each style of bike.

Heh, no contest here. If speed is your thing the Bianchi is the best of
the two. Better spec, drop bars - and a 10 speed block at the back. A
friend got that bike and he's well happy with it (tho he did stack it on a
corner and destroy the rear derailleur 2 days after getting it).

The only advantage the marin has is that you will start out prefering it's
flat handlebar. You'll soon get used to the drop bars on the bianchi
thobut; they're just better for road use - more aero, more hand positions.

Apart from the obvious lights and lock, you might want to budget for a pair
of raceblades - they're mudguards designed to fit road bikes with narrow
clearances that prevent regular guards. They're expensive (£35) but IME
well worth the extra over the competition. If the store carries them, try
and get 'em to throw a pair in. Don't forget to ask for a free first
service as well - the gears will probably need adjusting after a week or
two (takes a fair few miles to bed in). If they're any good the shop'll
offer this anyway.

Apologies, but it seems the Bianvhi I was shown is
http://www.bianchi.com/en/products2007/Road_Y7B10.aspx

Is this still as good?

Are there others to be aware of?? (in this, or other manufacturers?)

Thanks
"Paul Aspinall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi
> I'm looking to get back into cycling.
>
> I've spent a few years weight lifting, but I am now looking to trim down a
> little and take up cycling, as I did in my teens.
> I've had a mountain bike, but didn't take to it at all..... they're too
> slow for me.
>
> I'm unsure whether to go for an all-out road bike, or a hybrid road bike.
>
> One of my local stores suggested I get a Bianchi via nirone 7
> (http://www.bianchi.com/en/products2007/Road_Y7B07.aspx)
>
> One other suggested a Marin fairfax
> (http://www.marinbikes.com/bicycles_2005/html/bikes/bike_specs/specs_fairfax.html)
>
> Obviously the two bike are slightly different formats (all-out racer, vs
> commute style bike).
>
> I'm unsure which style to buy, but would appreciate advice on which you
> would recommend, or any alternatives to each style of bike.
>
> Thanks
>

> > I'm unsure which style to buy, but would appreciate advice on which you
> > would recommend, or any alternatives to each style of bike.

Have a look at the Trek or Specialized range of road bikes. I took a
quick butchers at one of each whilst waiting for the missus to hire a
bike at the local reservoir this weekend. Both were nice and light,
had similar spec. shimano groupsets, etc. and both cost around £450 -
£500. I'd have been happy on either..

Regards,

Duncan.

in message <[email protected]>, Paul
Aspinall ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Hi
> I'm looking to get back into cycling.
>
> I've spent a few years weight lifting, but I am now looking to trim down
> a little and take up cycling, as I did in my teens.
> I've had a mountain bike, but didn't take to it at all..... they're too
> slow for me.
>
> I'm unsure whether to go for an all-out road bike, or a hybrid road bike.
>
> One of my local stores suggested I get a Bianchi via nirone 7
> (http://www.bianchi.com/en/products2007/Road_Y7B07.aspx)

Same bike with Veloce looks nice:
http://www.bianchi.com/en/products2007/Road_Y7B42.aspx

There's something deeply wrong about an Italian bike with a Shimano
groupset.

> I'm unsure which style to buy, but would appreciate advice on which you
> would recommend, or any alternatives to each style of bike.

Well, it depends what sort of riding you want to do, but if you're riding
on the road purely for liesure, an all-out racer is by far more rewarding.

;; If any council in the country has anything to say to cyclists
;; about cycle paths, it should be: "We are terribly, terribly sorry."
- Zoe Williams, The Guardian, 13th Sept 2006

in message <[email protected]>, Paul
Aspinall ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Apologies, but it seems the Bianvhi I was shown is
> http://www.bianchi.com/en/products2007/Road_Y7B10.aspx
>
> Is this still as good?

Better.

> Are there others to be aware of?? (in this, or other manufacturers?)

Specialized Allez really isn't bad. Some of the Claud Butlers (e.g. Milano,
Vicenza) are OK.

;; making jokes about dyslexia isn't big, it isn't clever and
;; it isn't furry.

On 12 Feb, 18:27, "Paul Aspinall" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I'm unsure whether to go for an all-out road bike, or a hybrid road bike.

Are you only going to use it for "training" rides or also for
commuting, shopping and going to the pub? Are you going to ride only
on tarmac or also trails and towpaths?

There's no substitute for taking a few test rides to work out what
feels best for you.