Best Road Shoe for $200-$300???

rohc

Apr 23, 2005
Am researching a new road shoe. I have about 200-300 bucks to play with and I use speedplay pedals.
Have tried the Sidi Genius 5 and the DMT. So far the Sidi is in front... nice fit.With the DMT a close 2nd. I like the fact that the Sidi has replaceable heel pad.
Have been told as the Sidi Genius's sole looses its stiffness.As it is not Carbon.
Anyone got any other suggestions?
Have heard the Carnac are a good shoe as well.
Have also found that you can buy Sidi shoes for about 100 bucks cheaper on-line from Probikit.com.

Ideas please?
Regards
Rohc

For my money FIT is the number 1 factor by a long shot when it comes to shoes. The claim that non-carbon shoes will lose some of their stiffness down the road just doesn't compare to wearing shoes that don't fit. I like Shimano shoes so you could try some of them for fit. Pearl Izumi's and Specialized shoes don't realy fit my feet but they may suit your feet better.

Regards, Anthony

What anthony says... FIT is the most important factor. Different brands have different fits, so find the one that is most comfortable for you.

Also, don't look at carbon sole as the only thing worth having. On some models you may get the carbon sole but the fastening system may be lower end as a result, whereas other models may have another type of sole but better straps/buckles etc.

That being said, you should be able to find some reasonable shoes in the price range mentioned.

Wilchemy said:
Also, don't look at carbon sole as the only thing worth having. On some models you may get the carbon sole but the fastening system may be lower end as a result, whereas other models may have another type of sole but better straps/buckles etc.

Yeah, I second this. I had someone recently try to talk me into buying a nice pair of Specialized shoes on sale. There were a great price and had carbon soles, but all they had for closure was 3 velcro straps. It just didn't make any sense to me to put a nice stiff (and expensive) sole on the shoes and then put on such a weenie retention system. I have a pair of Sidi Genius's that I love. Very comfortable and I have a tiny foot so I would guess I don't have too much to gain in stiffness by having a carbon sole too. Plus I got my Sidi's on sale for $35, bwaa ha ha ha.

Eden said:
Plus I got my Sidi's on sale for $35, bwaa ha ha ha.
Are you kidding? Nike thongs cost more than that!!!

Good on you for the excellent find! :)

Recently also purchased a pair of Sidi. It's so incredibly comfortable, it's heaven! Those Italian sure knows how to cobble a pair of shoes.

I have had a pair of Vittoria shoes for 5 years, they have 3 velcro straps...only recently have I had to replace the Velcro, an easy job, just bought some heavy-duty velcro from Hardware store and replaced them. But I don't have the power of Robbie McEwen so I wouldn't stress them too much :cool:

Eden said:
... but all they had for closure was 3 velcro straps. It just didn't make any sense to me to put a nice stiff (and expensive) sole on the shoes and then put on such a weenie retention system.

pfft .. check out any pic of Tom Boonen as an example and show me him wearing anything other than 3 velcro enclosures. this is a guy that pretzels the back end of his time frame in a sprint. if it doesn't make any difference to him, i can't see any of us suffering by way of 'weenie retention systems'

the best perfroming shoes i've had in the last few seasons has been a set of specialized teams. this great performance was mitigated though by the sole delaminating from the upper afer one season.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
pfft .. check out any pic of Tom Boonen as an example and show me him wearing anything other than 3 velcro enclosures. this is a guy that pretzels the back end of his time frame in a sprint. if it doesn't make any difference to him, i can't see any of us suffering by way of 'weenie retention systems'

the best perfroming shoes i've had in the last few seasons has been a set of specialized teams. this great performance was mitigated though by the sole delaminating from the upper afer one season.

--brett

I at least, find that I can fine tune the fit of my Sidi's much better than the other pair that I have that are 3 strap velcro. I can tighen them down better and tighter on my foot without making the top of my foot hurt or making my toes go numb and they are easy to adjust on the fly if necessary. Not having my foot able to move in the shoe definitely does help my performance and I'm certainly not Tom Boonen. Even Northwave (Tom's shoes) makes their carbon soled shoes with a nicer strap system. I'm sure he has his reasons for using the velcro only. I just figure if your are going to bother with going to a carbon sole you shouldn't skimp on the straps. I'd rather go with a strap system that fits me better first - then I can worry about the sole flexing or not.