Best Roadbike around $2500??

Thanx Jittering, what did you think of the Talon? I'm curious, obviously I haven't ridden enough Bikes to make an educated purchase, there are more than I thought.....

The 57 to me felt great, but then again, even though were about the same height we may have different proportions...

I'm wondering now, would I get a much better bike for $3000.00?? Is it worth spending the extra money?

Not that I could afford it, but would a $5000 bike be twice as good as a $2500 one??

A Custom build does sound really appealing!! Problem is, I don't know enough about Bikes to choose all the right components...

jitteringjr said:
Just for reference, I am 5'10" with a 32" inseam and the 55 fits me perfect. I know because I just test rode a Talon last weekend. The more important measurement though (imo) is the top tube length. On the Talon, going from a 55 to a 57 only increases top tube length by 1.5cm. Check out this link for a fit calculator: ( I prefer the Eddie fit)

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CCY?PAGE=FIT_CALCULATOR_INTRO

If you are truly a 'tweener' I would go for the smaller size and make up the difference in the stem length for better handling.

BTW, the best bike for under $2500 is mine. Here is the link:
http://www.bianchiusa.com/xl_carbon_chorus.html

I bought the frame set for $1099 and then added a full Campy Centaur groupo. Using my old handlebars, stem, and saddle, I was able to get the bike custom built for around $2500.

Although you might not find this deal, the point is keep an eye out for end of season specials on frames too. Nothing bets a custom job and for your budget, it’s possible.

Jaguar27 said:
Not that I could afford it, but would a $5000 bike be twice as good as a $2500 one??

I think that you will get an overwhelming ‘no’ to that question on these boards. Should you pay $3000? Not necessarily, but I also wouldn’t turn down the right bike, however, if it cost a few hundred more than $2500. It depends on what deals you can work out with the LBS. Offer them 15% than the listed price and see what they say. You should be able to get 5-10% off any bike not already on sale if you are persistent about it. Buying a bike is like buying a car in many ways. At least that has been my experience.

I liked the ride of the Talon, but I didn’t like the paint options. I also liked the feel of the Evoke, but that was more than I wanted to spend. If you have a Fondriest dealer close, take a look at the Domino Carbon. Fondriest is offering 04 closeouts for $600 off. So that would be $1400 for the frame and fork, and the whole bike would cost between $2500 -$3000 depending on which group you put on it. In person, it looks sharp. They didn’t have my size, but I might have bought that one if they did. Here is the link

http://www.fondriest-usa.com/frameset.php?frame=domcarb

Jaguar27 said:
A Custom build does sound really appealing!! Problem is, I don't know enough about Bikes to choose all the right components...

It is not hard to learn with the wealth of information on the web and all the good help on these boards. One thing I liked to do is a build fictitious custom bike online. For instance, I would go to wrenchscience.com and pretend I am buying a bike. I would walk through the steps and I would play with the options to see how they effect the price, weight, and what caused compatibility issues.

Its just my opinion, but I feel that before you spend $2500 on a bike, you should know enough about what your getting to be able to build it yourself. It’s different buying a $1000 bike, but for that much money, do your homework and take your time in buying it. I looked for 2 months before making my decision and learned a ton in the process.

jitteringjr said:
I think that you will get an overwhelming ‘no’ to that question on these boards. Should you pay $3000? Not necessarily, but I also wouldn’t turn down the right bike, however, if it cost a few hundred more than $2500. It depends on what deals you can work out with the LBS. Offer them 15% than the listed price and see what they say. You should be able to get 5-10% off any bike not already on sale if you are persistent about it. Buying a bike is like buying a car in many ways. At least that has been my experience.

I liked the ride of the Talon, but I didn’t like the paint options. I also liked the feel of the Evoke, but that was more than I wanted to spend. If you have a Fondriest dealer close, take a look at the Domino Carbon. Fondriest is offering 04 closeouts for $600 off. So that would be $1400 for the frame and fork, and the whole bike would cost between $2500 -$3000 depending on which group you put on it. In person, it looks sharp. They didn’t have my size, but I might have bought that one if they did. Here is the link

It is not hard to learn with the wealth of information on the web and all the good help on these boards. One thing I liked to do is a build fictitious custom bike online. For instance, I would go to wrenchscience.com and pretend I am buying a bike. I would walk through the steps and I would play with the options to see how they effect the price, weight, and what caused compatibility issues.

Its just my opinion, but I feel that before you spend $2500 on a bike, you should know enough about what your getting to be able to build it yourself. It’s different buying a $1000 bike, but for that much money, do your homework and take your time in buying it. I looked for 2 months before making my decision and learned a ton in the process.
I agree with all that's said in this last response. There are a lot of good bikes to choose from in the $700-$1900 price range; above $2000, you begin venturing into "custom" territory and it becomes "how much do you want to spend" for components for factors such as strength, weight, speed, ergonomic comfort, and bling. I love the thought of being able to custom-make a bike, and it's even nicer to be financially able to have the bike of my dreams! The key is knowing what YOU want and what's good for YOU; and that's a personal decision, but it also should be an informed one. Becoming better acquainted, personally, with types of bicycles and components is the only way to do it. Spending $$$ may buy you "the best" bike, but not necessarily what is the best for you.

dhk said:
Rudy: I like the "stealth fighter" look of the tubes and finish on the Evoke. Have to swap bikes with my buddy next weekend and try the ride for myself. Curious as to why you don't like the geometry...it appears to be a standard road geometry, with a fairly long top tube.

Provo: Hard to beat that great deal on the 5200; you got a lot of bike there.

hhmm...Dan I just looked at the geometry of the Evoke again and...well.. :eek: The 54 may work for me...but I would have to put a 90mm or 100mm stem on it.
I'm just one of those guys with slightl loner legs and shorter upper body :eek:

Thanks for the reply dhk, I'm currently riding a 'dale and love it, it's a CAAD, R400...very low end but I've had some great riding out of it...the six13 looked nice..untill I saw the price tag....

dhk said:
On a test ride, the Talon felt a bit harsher than I wanted for an all-around road bike. Quick handling, racy and responsive, but I prefer something smoother for club rides and hilly Centuries. The new Evoke appeals to me more; believe it's more of the long-distance road bike. A buddy here has just gotten one of these and says it's super-smooth....suggest you test ride.

Also suggest you check out the Trek's, C'dales, and other major brands in this price range. Might as well have some fun shopping and test riding.

leslier, you're right, a Custom does sound rather appealing, however, I really wouldn't know where to start unfortunately, knowing me I'd probably mess it up...

But you're right, it seems there are a lot of bikes in my price range, probably TOO many it appears...but thanks to you and others that have replied I'm sure I'll beable to make a much more educated purchase...

Cheers then!

leslierc8853 said:
I agree with all that's said in this last response. There are a lot of good bikes to choose from in the $700-$1900 price range; above $2000, you begin venturing into "custom" territory and it becomes "how much do you want to spend" for components for factors such as strength, weight, speed, ergonomic comfort, and bling. I love the thought of being able to custom-make a bike, and it's even nicer to be financially able to have the bike of my dreams! The key is knowing what YOU want and what's good for YOU; and that's a personal decision, but it also should be an informed one. Becoming better acquainted, personally, with types of bicycles and components is the only way to do it. Spending $$$ may buy you "the best" bike, but not necessarily what is the best for you.

Jitter, thanks for taking the time to compose such a lengthy reply...I've learned a lot in the last year I've been riding, and thanks to yourself and others on this great board I'm learning every day...

That fondriest frame looks really nice!! yet another option, my list is getting longer by the day...I may need to take a week off work to test ride them all...

Thanks again for the great advice!!

jitteringjr said: