Best saddle for sciatica

jsirabella

Jan 1, 2005
I have had a long bout with sciatica and finally after becoming pretty much a human pin cushion I am starting to do some exercise including trying to ride on my trainer as my L5 is not ready to test NYC streets yet.

I have heard from several folks that the Brooks saddle has helped them quite a bit. I would like to know what do you folks consider the best saddle for comfort and this condition. I need all the help I can get in trying to get back into the saddle (excuse the lame pun).

Thanks for all responses.

Regards,

-js

Have a look at as wide a range as you can - there is no one saddle that is right for everyone

Take some advice on correct fit too, the best saddle in the wrong position will be bad

Do include the SMP4Bike range in your research - I like them a lot and they are v. comfy in my experience.

What exactly do you mean by "sciatica?" The reason I ask is that the diagnosis sciatica covers a wide variety of infirmities, commonly including piriformis syndrome. Piriformis syndrome is best treated with regular stretching, massage, etc. It sounds like you've resorted to acupuncture, which some people have reported as helpful.

I'll agree that no one saddle fits all. You'll need to experiment. I'd definitely say try a Brooks saddle as a good bet. Again though, whether, say, a B-17 or a Pro, or a Swift would suit you is a matter of individual physical "architecture."

I have also found that "problems with saddles" often turn out to be related to improper bike fit.

Make sure you have overall bike fit dialed in.