Between Race Nutrition

wamara

Jun 19, 2003
Hello All,
I'm preparing for an upcoming weekend stage race...my first, and was wondering what my nutrition should be like between the races. A morning RR (27miles) followed by a late afternoon TT (8 miles), and a next morning crit (30min.). Any suggestions out there? :cool:

Originally posted by wamara
Hello All,
I'm preparing for an upcoming weekend stage race...my first, and was wondering what my nutrition should be like between the races. A morning RR (27miles) followed by a late afternoon TT (8 miles), and a next morning crit (30min.). Any suggestions out there? :cool:

Don't worry too much about the nutrition over the race, as each stage is relativly short. The main concern over a 2 day stage race is dehydration and glycogen depletion. Make sure that you...

1. Start with a hydrated and carbo loaded.
2. The RR is short so don't eat anything solid, instead take a weak carbohydrate drink to prevent some dehydration and take in some carbohydrates.
3. After every stage eat a carbohydrate snack straight away (e.g. a bagel within 20 minutes of the finish).
4. You will not need a drink for the TT or the crit as they are very short.
5. Between races make sure that you stay hydrated and eat meals that are high in carbs (e.g. pasta, bread or potato).
6. Don't eat too soon before the start of each race.