bicycle access for o'hare airport

Analysis&Soluti

Guest
Hey Folks:

I've seen a few accounts of cycling into/out of O'Hare. Bob Kastigar's route comes in from the
north, but my destinations are south. I was thinking of using Lawrence. There's a posting from 1999
using this route, but things may have changed since then. Does anyone out there have contemporary
experience, please?

I recently put together routes for La Guardia Airport (LGA) here in NYC for the BikeSummer website.
We're working on doing the same for JFK and Newark too. The page is at
http://www.bikesummer.org/2003/local/airports.php

For those that haven't heard, BikeSummer is going to be in NYC this year. It'll be a LOT of fun,
some make sure to stopy by!

Thanks,

--Dan (Daniel Convissor)

--
PHP classes that make web design easier SqlSolution.info | LayoutSolution.info |
FormSolution.info T H E A N A L Y S I S A N D S O L U T I O N S C O M P A N Y 4015

"Analysis&Solutions" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> I've seen a few accounts of cycling into/out of O'Hare. Bob Kastigar's route comes in from the
> north, but my destinations are south. I was thinking of using Lawrence. There's a posting from
> 1999 using this route, but things may have changed since then. Does anyone out there have
> contemporary experience, please?

I posted on this route in 1999. I have not taken it since. Given the areas that it goes through, I'm
not at all certain that it is viable since security was tightened.

I usually bike to the Harlem L on the blue line, park the bike there, then take the L in. I'm coming
from the north, and take Oriole and other "O" streets instead of Harlem itself.

Taking the Blue Line in/out would be the best bet. Traffic around O'Hare is fast and vicious. You
can take your bike on the train any time except weekdays 8am-10am and 4pm-6pm. If you get on at
3:59pm they won't kick you off, but they won't allow you to transfer to a different train. You can
take your bike on CTA buses all the time. About 90% of them have bike racks.

If you are in town the last Friday of the month come by Daley Plaza (Washington/Dearborn) at 5:30pm
and ride in Chicago Critical Mass! See http://www.chicagocriticalmass.org.

-Bob Matter
-----------
"We can't just have cars, cars, cars, 24 hours a day."

-- Richard M. Daley, Mayor of Chicago

In <[email protected]> "Robert J. Matter" <[email protected]> writes:

>Taking the Blue Line in/out would be the best bet. Traffic around O'Hare is fast and vicious.

Bah!

--Dan

--
PHP classes that make web design easier SqlSolution.info | LayoutSolution.info |
FormSolution.info T H E A N A L Y S I S A N D S O L U T I O N S C O M P A N Y 4015
7th Ave #4AJ, Brooklyn NY v: 718-854-0335 f: 718-854-0409

Hey Folks:

My trip to Chicago went great. The ride from Lombard in the suburbs to O'Hare went well. The
southern approach is fine. Here are the details...

Take Lawrence to the end and then turn left on Manheim.

Follow the signs for "Civil Aviation." First right into airport. First right again. First left,
which is a while down the road.

Follow this to the end, ignoring the "no outlet" signs. It then merges with the Terminal 5 exit
roadway. Here, continue with the flow of traffic.

If you're going to Terminal 5, you'd merge across the road and take the first left.

If you're going to Terminals 1 through 3, merge to the left side of the road and go straight,
through the underpass.

Shortly, you'll see a sign saying "return to terminals." Make that left.

As this road curves around to the right, a service road begins to parallel it on your right, between
you and the fence. You want to get on that road. A convenient spot is a drainage curb cut, allowing
you to easily ride across the grass and hop onto the other road.

This service road will take you, nearly traffic free, to the terminals.

Enjoy,

--Dan
--
FREE scripts that make web and database programming easier
http://www.analysisandsolutions.com/software/ T H E A N A L Y S I S A N D S O L U T I O N S C O