Bicycle Bad Welds Problem

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by jeboyt, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. jeboyt

    jeboyt Guest

    2-10-2004

    Attention Member Bicycle Shop Owners,

    Subject: Bad Welds Investigation

    After receiving a large number of complaints of defective bicycles, several involved in road
    accidents, we launched an investigation six months ago into the cause of bicycle failure and
    instability at high speeds.

    Our investigation has found defective welds of steel tubes from several different bicycle
    manufactures that are made overseas. This is apparently caused by use of low cost and contaminated
    welding rods. The welds are corrosive, therefore internally rust and weaken quickly.

    Please inspect each weld for any signs of rusting or small cracks. If one deviation is found, the
    bicycle may be re-welded at that joint. If two or more deviations are found, the bicycle should be
    considered unsafe to ride, and the owner notified.

    The rods are manufactured in China, and are currently being sold to many bicycle frame manufactures
    in the Far East, including Japan, China, Taiwan, Malaysia, and others.

    There have been no reports of American made bicycles having this defect.

    We have notified the manufactures involved of the quality problems.

    Thank you,

    Henry Fisher, President

    American Bicycle Retail Association

    #3241 Forth Floor
    1212 North Palmer Street Washington, D.C

    Tags:

  2. carlfogel

    carlfogel New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    Dear Jeboyt,

    Are you sure that you're not on 1234 Thurd Floor?

    Carl Fogel

  3. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 2-10-2004
    >

    > Attention Member Bicycle Shop Owners,
    >
    > Subject: Bad Welds Investigation

    <<snip..>>

    > Henry Fisher, President

    What a load of road apples..I think it's actually Henry "The Troll" Fisherman....nice try. You can't
    beat the helmet thread!!

  4. On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 02:06:48 +0000, carlfogel wrote:

    > > Henry Fisher, President American Bicycle Retail Association

    Hmm. I can't find any information about this group on the net. Anyone? Or is he just spreading
    rumors to discredit cheap bikes (as if that needs any help)?

    > There have been no reports of American made bicycles having this defect.

    Of course, since he is apparently talking about cheap bicycle-shaped toys, I don't think there are
    any American-made comparable bicycles to compare to.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not _`\(,_ | certain, and as
    far as they are certain, they do not refer to (_)/ (_) | reality. -- Albert Einstein

  5. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    news:p[email protected]...
    > Hmm. I can't find any information about this group on the net. Anyone? Or is he just spreading
    > rumors to discredit cheap bikes (as if that needs any help)?

    Nah, it's a heap of steaming crap. I noticed he used an anonymous remailer..

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  6. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 01:18:20 +0100, [email protected] may have said:

    >Henry Fisher, President
    >
    >American Bicycle Retail Association
    >
    >#3241 Forth Floor
    >1212 North Palmer Street Washington, D.C

    No record of that organization was found.

    USPS says "no such address"

    "Fourth" is misspelled.

    Trollishness: Very high.

    My opinion: Bogon flux overload alert!

    it's also possible that I'm busy.

  7. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > 2-10-2004 Attention Member Bicycle Shop Owners, Subject: Bad Welds Investigation

    {Pile o' crappage snipped}

    > Henry Fisher, President American Bicycle Retail Association
    > #3241 Forth Floor
    > 1212 North Palmer Street Washington, D.C

    {cough-cough} bullshit {cough-cough}

    Bill "go fourth (heh) and make up a real address (DC has directionals AND ZIPs)" S.

  8. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > 2-10-2004
    >

    > Attention Member Bicycle Shop Owners,
    >

    > Subject: Bad Welds Investigation
    >
    > After receiving a large number of complaints of defective bicycles, several involved in road
    > accidents, we launched an investigation six months ago into the cause of bicycle failure and
    > instability at high speeds.
    >
    > Our investigation has found defective welds of steel tubes from several different bicycle
    > manufactures that are made overseas. This is apparently caused by use of low cost and contaminated
    > welding rods. The welds are corrosive, therefore internally rust and weaken quickly.
    >
    > Please inspect each weld for any signs of rusting or small cracks. If one deviation is found, the
    > bicycle may be re-welded at that joint. If two or more deviations are found, the bicycle should be
    > considered unsafe to ride, and the owner notified.
    >
    > The rods are manufactured in China, and are currently being sold to many bicycle frame
    > manufactures in the Far East, including Japan, China, Taiwan, Malaysia, and others.
    >
    > There have been no reports of American made bicycles having this defect.
    >
    > We have notified the manufactures involved of the quality problems.

    Oh, excellent! Just excellent. Nothing like some good humor to begin one's Friday!

    > Thank you,

    Thank YOU,

    Dave

    > Henry Fisher, President
    >
    > American Bicycle Retail Association
    >
    > #3241 Forth Floor
    > 1212 North Palmer Street Washington, D.C

    3241 Forht Fl. HAAAA-ha-ha-ha... HAAAA-ha-ha... Ahhhhhhhhh.... That's funny.