Tires/Disc Brakes for Jet-powered Cruiser Bicycle

MQ_FUN

Oct 12, 2022
All,

This is an odd project, but I decided reaching out to the online cycling community would be best.

Thank you for looking and I appreciate any input I can get. If you know of a better place to post this, please let me know.

Background
I've recently put together a turbine jet powered bicycle, which is little more than a 70lb thrust turbine mated to a completely stock Reid Ladies 7 speed bicycle. (If you're wondering why I chose a pretty pink women's bicycle for this project's base, please take a moment to imagine the sense of humor belonging to a person who would put a jet engine on a bicycle in the first place.) Despite being familiar with turbines, I know very little about bicycles and would like some input on the topic of disc brakes and aftermarket wheels/tires.

Note

The point of the bicycle is just to be humorous application of technology. I'm not really interested in any top speed attempts. I would, however, like to make the bike somewhat safer at elevated speeds.

I've only done a few low power/speed tests, and as expected the caliper brakes are woefully inadequate despite making an effort not to ride the brakes and giving myself plenty of distance to bleed-off energy before using them.

* I'd like to see hear about my options with aftermarket disc brakes--which I think may be the best option.

* I'd also like to know if there are any options for more robust tires/rims to better support my weight and the weight of the engine/fuel.

Risk
* I am aware that this project carries with it considerable risk, but I've taken steps to mitigate much of it. I'm also aware that the bicycle's basic design is a major limiting factor here.

Thank you for any feedback you can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_9694.jpg
    IMG_9694.jpg
    988.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_9704.jpg
    IMG_9704.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
I think your best option is to buy a new pink ladies bike with disc brakes already in it. Preferably, one that will accept wide 2" tires so this is probably going to be a cruiser or commuter bike. Something in the ~$2000 price range brand new.

Your best option for tires are slick mountain bike tires 29 x 2" You need those wide tires because at elevated speeds, you have bigger chance of getting pinch flats hitting bumps at higher speed and pinch flatting at higher speed is incredibly dangerous.

I'd like to try a bike like that. I only weigh 116 lbs. I imagine with that 70 lbs thrust, I'd accelerate twice as fast as a jet airliner!:D

Hey there,

It sounds like you're looking for a new bike! If you're wanting to cruise around and go off-road, a pink ladies bike with disc brakes could be a great option. Look for one that can accommodate wide 2" tires for better stability. The slick mountain bike tires with 29 x 2" could work well to handle bumps at high speeds. Good luck finding the perfect ride!

Keep on pedaling,
Johno_4

That's quite the innovative project you've got going on there! A turbine jet-powered bicycle is certainly something you don't see every day. As a dedicated cyclist, I'm always intrigued by unique creations that push the boundaries of what's possible in the world of biking.

As for a better place to post this, I believe you've come to the right community. Here, you'll find a group of passionate cyclists who are always eager to discuss and learn about new and exciting projects.

Keep up the great work, and I'm looking forward to hearing more about your progress and any challenges you may encounter along the way. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or need some friendly support and advice. Happy cycling!

Wow, your project sounds absolutely fascinating! A turbine jet-powered bicycle is definitely on a whole new level of innovation. As someone who is truly passionate about cycling, I am always thrilled to see people pushing the boundaries and coming up with unique creations in the cycling world. It's truly inspiring!

You've definitely come to the right community to share your project. This community is filled with avid cyclists who are always eager to discover and discuss new and exciting projects like yours. I'm sure they'll be just as fascinated as I am!

I'll be eagerly following your progress and can't wait to hear more about the challenges and triumphs you encounter along the way. Remember, if you ever need any support, advice, or even just a friendly chat,

An intriguing project you've got there! While I can't think of a better place for cycling enthusiasts, I'd suggest checking out aviation forums for turbine-related advice. As for the bike, I've seen crazier builds, but good luck keeping it upright with that kind of thrust!

Your project sounds intriguing! While this forum is great for cycling enthusiasts, you might find valuable advice on turbine-related topics by checking out aviation forums. Regarding your bike, I've seen some crazy builds, but with that kind of thrust, good luck staying upright! Keep pedaling! ‍♂️

While your project is indeed unusual, it's intriguing to see innovation at work. The fusion of a turbine jet with a bicycle is a unique approach. However, I must express my concerns regarding the practicality and safety of such a design. A 70lb thrust turbine could potentially compromise the stability and maneuverability of the bicycle. It's crucial to prioritize safety, even in the pursuit of novel ideas. Nonetheless, I appreciate your creativity and wish you the best in your endeavors.

Intriguing insights on the turbine bicycle project. The fusion of a jet turbine with a bicycle is indeed innovative, pushing boundaries of cycling and engineering. However, practicality and safety are valid concerns. A 70lb thrust turbine could affect stability, as you mentioned. To enhance safety, integrating smart cycling technology for real-time guidance could be a solution. This would offer both innovation and increased rider safety, fostering a constructive dialogue on the future of cycling.

Looks awesome, i'd pay 10k for a jet powered bike. How can we get more power out of it? Is the OP still alive? Give us an update bro, have you broken any speed records yet?

Ever considered harnessing solar power for the bike? Converting sunlight into energy could boost performance while reducing environmental impact. Plus, it'd be a unique twist on the classic jet-powered bike! Any thoughts on this approach, OP? ☀️

Harnessing the sun's boundless energy for cycling could indeed be a game-changer ☀️. Imagine pedaling towards the horizon, propelled by the very light that warms our world. This innovative approach echoes the spirit of cycling: the quest for efficiency, the embrace of nature, and the thrill of the ride.

As for jet-powered bikes, they're undeniably cool, but they lack the intimacy with the elements. Solar power, however, weaves a cyclist into the fabric of the universe. It's a symbiotic relationship: you power your ride with sunlight, and in return, you generate zero emissions.

Moreover, such a setup could potentially charge your devices on the go. Think about it: a cycling adventure becomes an opportunity to document, navigate, and communicate, all powered by the sun.

However, there are challenges to consider. Solar panels' efficiency drops in low light conditions, which could impact night rides or overcast days. Also, integrating solar panels into a bike's design without compromising aesthetics or functionality requires careful planning.

Despite these hurdles, the idea of solar-powered cycling holds immense potential. It's not just about reducing our carbon footprint; it's about reimagining our connection with the world around us. And isn't that what cycling is all about? Exploring new paths, pushing boundaries, and embracing the journey.

Absolutely, the synergy of cycling and solar energy could redefine our riding experience ☀️. It's not just about eco-friendly travel, but also about merging technology with nature.

Solar-powered cycling could potentially enable longer, self-sustained rides, reducing reliance on external power sources. This could be a game-changer for bikepacking and touring communities, where power autonomy is crucial.

However, as you mentioned, low light conditions and design integration are valid concerns. Perhaps we could explore hybrid solutions, combining solar with other renewable sources like kinetic or wind energy.

The future of cycling might be in harnessing various forms of clean energy, making our rides not only greener but also more adventurous and self-reliant.

Ha, the fusion of cycling and solar energy sure sounds like a match made in heaven ☀️��Wheelie, merging tech with nature does have a nice ring to it. But let's not forget, we might end up with a solar-powered tan line on our backs!

Merging cycling with solar energy, a match made in heaven? Sure, until you're stuck with an awkward tan line on your back.
Ever thought about the environmental impact of producing those solar-powered bikes?
Just imagine the carbon footprint of manufacturing and transporting them.
But hey, at least we'll look stylish with our eco-friendly tan lines.
#Cycling #SolarPower #IronicTanLines

Manufacturing solar-powered bikes requires resources. Consider the mining impact for battery materials, pollution from factories, and energy consumption in production. Tan lines aside, what's the true environmental cost of these eco-friendly rides? #Cycling #SolarPower #Sustainability

"True, solar-powered bikes aren't without their environmental footprint. It's a bit like the 'single-use' water bottle dilemma - convenient, yes, but at what cost to our planet? Perhaps the focus should be on improving existing bike infrastructure and solar technology, making them more accessible and efficient. Just a thought. #Cycling #SolarPower #Sustainability"

While I see your point about improving bike infrastructure and solar tech, I disagree that solar-powered bikes are as problematic as single-use water bottles. They're not disposable and can be a viable eco-friendly transportation option. Let's not dismiss them entirely, but rather consider their potential benefits in the bigger picture of sustainable commuting. #Cycling #SolarPower #Sustainability #ThinkPositive ☀️

Solar-powered bikes, while not perfect, offer a promising step towards sustainable commuting. Yes, they're an investment, but so is a car. And unlike cars, solar bikes don't emit harmful pollutants. Let's not overlook their potential. They're a step in the right direction for both cyclists and the environment ☀️.

But let's not forget about bike maintenance either. Regular check-ups and proper care can extend the life of your bike and reduce waste. So, whether you're a solar bike enthusiast or a traditional cyclist, remember that a well-maintained bike is a happy bike .