Bicycle Chains - is there a big difference? In quality, brands - what to look for?

bicycles

Guest
Hi,

I am trying to get some information about bikechains. I googled on the
subject, but most things are related to maintenance. When I shop for a
bike should I also consider a specific brand chain?

Hope to hear from you,

Cheers,
Mathijs

I like the SRAM chains because they are cheaper than Shimano and seem
to last just as long.

Plus they have the added benefit of toolless removal for those out
there who clean their chains (I don't clean my chains -- but you can
google this group for that argument).

-Mike

bicycles wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get some information about bikechains. I googled on the
> subject, but most things are related to maintenance. When I shop for a
> bike should I also consider a specific brand chain?
>
> Hope to hear from you,

For singlespeeds or hub gears, it doesn't matter much as the chain's
not asked to do much of anything. I like nickel plated for all weather
riding.

Sram chains are indeed the best value for dereilleur bikes, again I
prefer the nickel finish as it's friendly to those of us that like a
dry chain exterior without rust.

Mike Reed wrote:
> I like the SRAM chains because they are cheaper than Shimano and seem
> to last just as long.
>
> Plus they have the added benefit of toolless removal for those out
> there who clean their chains (I don't clean my chains -- but you can
> google this group for that argument).

Lately it seems as though the cheap chain has gone away, Shimano and
Sram chains all seem to be about $20. I used to get chains on sale for
~$9.

-nate

On 7 Apr 2006 06:51:43 -0700, "bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to get some information about bikechains. I googled on the
>subject, but most things are related to maintenance. When I shop for a
>bike should I also consider a specific brand chain?

Most bikes will have a decent-quality chain as original equipment, in
proportion to the market segment for which the bike was built. There
is no need to be concerned in this area. When shopping for
replacements, I recommend staying with known quality brands (SRAM,
Shimano, Campy, Wippermann, KMC, in no particular order) choosing the
type appropriate for the setup. I avoid no-name and WalMart-level
spares like Bell. There is seldom any important difference in
operation between chains made for the same type of application, though
there may be differences in rate of wear and resistance to corrosion.
Given that a good-quality chain can be had for under US$25 for most
setups, and will generally last 2500 miles or more with some attention
to maintenance, it's hard to justify either extravagance or neglect in
this area.

There is no reason to swap out the chain on a new bike unless an
immediate drivetrain upgrade mandates it, such as when going from an 8
speed rear cassette to a 10 speed.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Llatikcuf wrote:

> Lately it seems as though the cheap chain has gone away, Shimano and
> Sram chains all seem to be about $20. I used to get chains on sale for
> ~$9.

At least once a year, I see Shimano 9-sp chains on sale at Nashbar for
about $10. That's the time to stock up. There's no functional
difference between the various Shimano models, only cosmetic (plating,
color, etc.).

Buy them cheap and change them often.

Art Harris

Werehatrack wrote:
I avoid no-name and WalMart-level
> spares like Bell.

Those are KMC under a different brand. Singlespeed "Bell" chains are
fine. Never used the derailleur model. Probably fine for bikes with up
to 8spd clusters, if you don't mind a little noise. Under a tenner.

landotter wrote:
> Werehatrack wrote:
> I avoid no-name and WalMart-level
> > spares like Bell.

> Those are KMC under a different brand.

Yep, the sideplates *say* "KMC".

> Singlespeed "Bell" chains are
> fine. Never used the derailleur model. Probably fine for bikes with up
> to 8spd clusters, if you don't mind a little noise. Under a tenner.

On 7 Apr 2006 15:34:15 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>landotter wrote:
>> Werehatrack wrote:
>> I avoid no-name and WalMart-level
>> > spares like Bell.

>> Those are KMC under a different brand.

>Yep, the sideplates *say* "KMC".
>

>> Singlespeed "Bell" chains are
>> fine. Never used the derailleur model. Probably fine for bikes with up
>> to 8spd clusters, if you don't mind a little noise. Under a tenner.

Read before you buy. I've seen some no-name-at-all chains on the hook
under the Bell label at the WallyWorld stores around here. If the KMC
imprint is present, it's probably OK, I'll agree to that...but assume
nothing until you check.
--

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 06:51:43 -0700, bicycles wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to get some information about bikechains. I googled on the
> subject, but most things are related to maintenance. When I shop for a
> bike should I also consider a specific brand chain?

As far as your last question goes: No. Chains are service items. When
it's time to replace it, get what you want (I recommend SRAM). But don't
worry about that at purchase time. The differences between chains are
insignificant as far as that goes.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
_`\(,_ | business.
(_)/ (_) |

Werehatrack wrote:
> On 7 Apr 2006 15:34:15 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >landotter wrote:
> >> Werehatrack wrote:
> >> I avoid no-name and WalMart-level
> >>
> >> Those are KMC under a different brand.

> >Yep, the sideplates *say* "KMC".
> >

> >> Singlespeed "Bell" chains are
> >> fine. Never used the derailleur model. Probably fine for bikes with up
> >> to 8spd clusters, if you don't mind a little noise. Under a tenner.

> Read before you buy. I've seen some no-name-at-all chains on the hook
> under the Bell label at the WallyWorld stores around here. If the KMC
> imprint is present, it's probably OK, I'll agree to that...but assume
> nothing until you check.

Everything I've seen was KMC, but you;re right, "read before you buy".

Mike Reed wrote:
> I like the SRAM chains because they are cheaper than Shimano and seem
> to last just as long.
>
> Plus they have the added benefit of toolless removal for those out
> there who clean their chains (I don't clean my chains -- but you can
> google this group for that argument).
>
> -Mike
>
> bicycles wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to get some information about bikechains. I googled on the
> > subject, but most things are related to maintenance. When I shop for a
> > bike should I also consider a specific brand chain?
> >
> > Hope to hear from you,
> >
> > Cheers,

Use the least expensive compatible chain. Sram makes a great lineup of
8, 9 and soon 10s chains with snap links. Plating, hollow pins and such
that make these desposible items more expensive does nothing for their
performance.
> > Mathijs

For years I just bought the appropriate SHimano or Campag that went
with my groupsets, but this year I changed to a KMC because it had
really cool looking slotted side plates and hollow pins.

Shallow reasoning I know, but it works great and I'd almost swear it's
faster too ;)

R.

For years I just bought the appropriate SHimano or Campag that went
with my groupsets, but this year I changed to a KMC because it had
really cool looking slotted side plates and hollow pins.

Shallow reasoning I know, but it works great and I'd almost swear it's
faster too ;)

R.

I once used a hollow pin chain. It lasted exactly 56.1 miles before being
destroyed beyond use. Fortunatly it got me through an important 56 mile
race in first place and broke .1 of a mile after the finish.

I now only use solid pins.

Ken

news:[email protected]...