Bicycle Chains - is there a big difference? In quality, brands - what to look for?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by bicycles, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. bicycles

    bicycles Guest

    Hi,

    I am trying to get some information about bikechains. I googled on the
    subject, but most things are related to maintenance. When I shop for a
    bike should I also consider a specific brand chain?

    Hope to hear from you,

    Cheers,
    Mathijs

    Tags:

  2. Mike Reed

    Mike Reed Guest

    I like the SRAM chains because they are cheaper than Shimano and seem
    to last just as long.

    Plus they have the added benefit of toolless removal for those out
    there who clean their chains (I don't clean my chains -- but you can
    google this group for that argument).

    -Mike

    bicycles wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to get some information about bikechains. I googled on the
    > subject, but most things are related to maintenance. When I shop for a
    > bike should I also consider a specific brand chain?
    >
    > Hope to hear from you,
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Mathijs

  3. landotter

    landotter Guest

    bicycles wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to get some information about bikechains. I googled on the
    > subject, but most things are related to maintenance. When I shop for a
    > bike should I also consider a specific brand chain?
    >
    > Hope to hear from you,

    For singlespeeds or hub gears, it doesn't matter much as the chain's
    not asked to do much of anything. I like nickel plated for all weather
    riding.

    Sram chains are indeed the best value for dereilleur bikes, again I
    prefer the nickel finish as it's friendly to those of us that like a
    dry chain exterior without rust.

  4. Llatikcuf

    Llatikcuf Guest

    Mike Reed wrote:
    > I like the SRAM chains because they are cheaper than Shimano and seem
    > to last just as long.
    >
    > Plus they have the added benefit of toolless removal for those out
    > there who clean their chains (I don't clean my chains -- but you can
    > google this group for that argument).

    Lately it seems as though the cheap chain has gone away, Shimano and
    Sram chains all seem to be about $20. I used to get chains on sale for
    ~$9.

    -nate

  5. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 7 Apr 2006 06:51:43 -0700, "bicycles" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am trying to get some information about bikechains. I googled on the
    >subject, but most things are related to maintenance. When I shop for a
    >bike should I also consider a specific brand chain?

    Most bikes will have a decent-quality chain as original equipment, in
    proportion to the market segment for which the bike was built. There
    is no need to be concerned in this area. When shopping for
    replacements, I recommend staying with known quality brands (SRAM,
    Shimano, Campy, Wippermann, KMC, in no particular order) choosing the
    type appropriate for the setup. I avoid no-name and WalMart-level
    spares like Bell. There is seldom any important difference in
    operation between chains made for the same type of application, though
    there may be differences in rate of wear and resistance to corrosion.
    Given that a good-quality chain can be had for under US$25 for most
    setups, and will generally last 2500 miles or more with some attention
    to maintenance, it's hard to justify either extravagance or neglect in
    this area.

    There is no reason to swap out the chain on a new bike unless an
    immediate drivetrain upgrade mandates it, such as when going from an 8
    speed rear cassette to a 10 speed.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  6. Art Harris

    Art Harris Guest

    Llatikcuf wrote:

    > Lately it seems as though the cheap chain has gone away, Shimano and
    > Sram chains all seem to be about $20. I used to get chains on sale for
    > ~$9.

    At least once a year, I see Shimano 9-sp chains on sale at Nashbar for
    about $10. That's the time to stock up. There's no functional
    difference between the various Shimano models, only cosmetic (plating,
    color, etc.).

    Buy them cheap and change them often.

    Art Harris

  7. landotter

    landotter Guest

    Werehatrack wrote:
    I avoid no-name and WalMart-level
    > spares like Bell.

    Those are KMC under a different brand. Singlespeed "Bell" chains are
    fine. Never used the derailleur model. Probably fine for bikes with up
    to 8spd clusters, if you don't mind a little noise. Under a tenner.

  8. landotter wrote:
    > Werehatrack wrote:
    > I avoid no-name and WalMart-level
    > > spares like Bell.

    > Those are KMC under a different brand.

    Yep, the sideplates *say* "KMC".

    > Singlespeed "Bell" chains are
    > fine. Never used the derailleur model. Probably fine for bikes with up
    > to 8spd clusters, if you don't mind a little noise. Under a tenner.

  9. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 7 Apr 2006 15:34:15 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >landotter wrote:
    >> Werehatrack wrote:
    >> I avoid no-name and WalMart-level
    >> > spares like Bell.

    >> Those are KMC under a different brand.

    >Yep, the sideplates *say* "KMC".
    >

    >> Singlespeed "Bell" chains are
    >> fine. Never used the derailleur model. Probably fine for bikes with up
    >> to 8spd clusters, if you don't mind a little noise. Under a tenner.

    Read before you buy. I've seen some no-name-at-all chains on the hook
    under the Bell label at the WallyWorld stores around here. If the KMC
    imprint is present, it's probably OK, I'll agree to that...but assume
    nothing until you check.
    --
    Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

  10. bicycles

    bicycles Guest

    Thanks for you reaction Mike!

    Mathijs

  11. bicycles

    bicycles Guest

    Thanks!

    Mathijs

  12. bicycles

    bicycles Guest

    Thanks!

    Mathijs

  13. bicycles

    bicycles Guest

    Thanks!

    Mathijs

  14. goodone

    goodone Guest

    Shimano Dura ace(XTR) or Ultegra (XT) chain

  15. On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 06:51:43 -0700, bicycles wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to get some information about bikechains. I googled on the
    > subject, but most things are related to maintenance. When I shop for a
    > bike should I also consider a specific brand chain?

    As far as your last question goes: No. Chains are service items. When
    it's time to replace it, get what you want (I recommend SRAM). But don't
    worry about that at purchase time. The differences between chains are
    insignificant as far as that goes.

    --

    David L. Johnson

    __o | Accept risk. Accept responsibility. Put a lawyer out of
    _`\(,_ | business.
    (_)/ (_) |

  16. Werehatrack wrote:
    > On 7 Apr 2006 15:34:15 -0700, "Ozark Bicycle"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    > >landotter wrote:
    > >> Werehatrack wrote:
    > >> I avoid no-name and WalMart-level
    > >>
    > >> Those are KMC under a different brand.

    > >Yep, the sideplates *say* "KMC".
    > >

    > >> Singlespeed "Bell" chains are
    > >> fine. Never used the derailleur model. Probably fine for bikes with up
    > >> to 8spd clusters, if you don't mind a little noise. Under a tenner.

    > Read before you buy. I've seen some no-name-at-all chains on the hook
    > under the Bell label at the WallyWorld stores around here. If the KMC
    > imprint is present, it's probably OK, I'll agree to that...but assume
    > nothing until you check.

    Everything I've seen was KMC, but you;re right, "read before you buy".

  17. Mike Reed wrote:
    > I like the SRAM chains because they are cheaper than Shimano and seem
    > to last just as long.
    >
    > Plus they have the added benefit of toolless removal for those out
    > there who clean their chains (I don't clean my chains -- but you can
    > google this group for that argument).
    >
    > -Mike
    >
    > bicycles wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am trying to get some information about bikechains. I googled on the
    > > subject, but most things are related to maintenance. When I shop for a
    > > bike should I also consider a specific brand chain?
    > >
    > > Hope to hear from you,
    > >
    > > Cheers,

    Use the least expensive compatible chain. Sram makes a great lineup of
    8, 9 and soon 10s chains with snap links. Plating, hollow pins and such
    that make these desposible items more expensive does nothing for their
    performance.
    > > Mathijs

  18. For years I just bought the appropriate SHimano or Campag that went
    with my groupsets, but this year I changed to a KMC because it had
    really cool looking slotted side plates and hollow pins.

    Shallow reasoning I know, but it works great and I'd almost swear it's
    faster too ;)

    R.

  19. For years I just bought the appropriate SHimano or Campag that went
    with my groupsets, but this year I changed to a KMC because it had
    really cool looking slotted side plates and hollow pins.

    Shallow reasoning I know, but it works great and I'd almost swear it's
    faster too ;)

    R.

  20. Ken

    Ken Guest

    I once used a hollow pin chain. It lasted exactly 56.1 miles before being
    destroyed beyond use. Fortunatly it got me through an important 56 mile
    race in first place and broke .1 of a mile after the finish.

    I now only use solid pins.

    Ken

    news:[email protected]