Bicycle for college?

Bluesman5920

Guest
I am looking to buy a bicycle for college (Oklahoma State University). I went to my local bike shop
and found a Trek 4100 Alpha that I really liked ($250). For the college atmosphere, I thought this
very inexpensive mountain bike would be a good choice.

A lot of people have said that any bike I take to college will be stolen and that I really need like
a brown 70's broken bike to have any hope of not getting one stolen. Should I even take a bike to
college and if so what should I take? Will the above-mentioned bike be ok and what could I do to
secure it?

On 1 Jun 2003 14:25:08 -0700, [email protected] (bluesman5920) wrote:

>I am looking to buy a bicycle for college (Oklahoma State University). I went to my local bike shop
>and found a Trek 4100 Alpha that I really liked ($250). For the college atmosphere, I thought this
>very inexpensive mountain bike would be a good choice.
>
>A lot of people have said that any bike I take to college will be stolen and that I really need
>like a brown 70's broken bike to have any hope of not getting one stolen. Should I even take a bike
>to college and if so what should I take? Will the above-mentioned bike be ok and what could I do to
>secure it?

[Note: I'm on a different continent. Not everything in my experience necessarily applies]

Lock it, and for god's sake don't overclean. It's fine to clean the moving parts, chain, axles, and
other bearings, but otherwise, the more mud & rust you're dragging along the better, for camouflage.
But the most important thing is and remains lock discipline. Summary: get a lock that an average
thief can't open in three seconds flat. That category includes most chain locks and locks that have
a separate padlock, plus the cheaper and midrange variants of cable locks. A good quality U-lock
works fine, but the cheap ones suck. Two locks are much better than the sum of their parts. Locking
your bike to the "solid world", so that the pro thieves don't just drive a truck up and lift a dozen
bikes into them, for cracking their locks at leisure, also a good idea.

The best lock IMHO is a chain lock by Cyclops[1]. The difference with regular chain locks is that
these are through and through hardened steel, where most chains are either mild steel or mild steel
with a hardened outer layer. Boltcutters just curl up and die when they see these babies.

Whether you can find those in the US would be a major stumbling block, though.

Ring locks[2] are extremely convenient, because they screw onto the bike and thus you don't have
to worry about having it with you, or storing it somewhewre on the bike after you unlock it --
just insert key, twist, and you can go. I have no idea if that kind of lock is commonly available
in the US, though, and don't get one any cheaper than that Axa model from the footnote. The Axa
SL-7 is already much better, and not much more expensive. When you leave your bike in a high risk
area for longer periods of time, two locks are the way to go, one of which should lock your bike
to the bike rack.

If you get good locks (and expect to spend $50 or so on locks, if the bike doesn't come with
anything decent), and use them, and don't leave the keys in (my personal bane -- lost 3 or 4 bikes
that way), then you should be okay.

If you want to be frugal (and/or spend the rest on beer), not worry about your bike much, and be
able to replace it fairly cheaply, get an old clunker. But do look for one with a 3speed hub,
especially if you've got hills. I just bought myself a new one last week, for about $150. Good steel
frame, 3speed, drum brakes, baggage rack, lighting system, manufactured '85, all bearings adjusted
properly, but slightly rusty and unsightly.

Here in the Netherlands, you can leave such a bike with just a ring lock without much trouble.
Leaving a bike without *any* locks means screaming at the top of your voice "Hey, drunk fratboys!
Free transportation back to home!", even aside from 'real' thieves.

Jasper

[1] http://www.armada-bike-security.com/

[2]http://www.wheel2wheel4bikes.com/products.php?mcat=2&brand=27&scat=93&prodid=158

--get an old clunker. But do look for one with a 3speed hub, especially if you've got hills. I just
bought myself a new one last week, for about $150. Good steel frame, 3speed, drum brakes, baggage
rack, lighting system, manufactured '85, all bearings adjusted properly, but slightly rusty and
unsightly.--

This is what I did when I was in college. I bought an old 3 speed for $35. I kept it looking bad,
but running good.

I was pretty good about keeping it locked, but one night the rack got hit by "professionals" all
aged under 18. The whole rack gets cleared out except for mine and a single speed . . . I had
forgotten to lock up that night.

"Jasper Janssen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> to the bike rack.
>
> If you get good locks (and expect to spend $50 or so on locks, if the
bike
> doesn't come with anything decent), and use them, and don't leave the
keys
> in (my personal bane -- lost 3 or 4 bikes that way), then you should
be
> okay.
>
> If you want to be frugal (and/or spend the rest on beer), not worry
about
> your bike much, and be able to replace it fairly cheaply, get an old clunker. But do look for one
> with a 3speed hub, especially if you've
got
> hills. I just bought myself a new one last week, for about $150. Good steel frame, 3speed, drum
> brakes, baggage rack, lighting system, manufactured '85, all bearings adjusted properly, but
and
> unsightly.
>
> Here in the Netherlands, you can leave such a bike with just a ring
lock
> without much trouble. Leaving a bike without *any* locks means
screaming
> at the top of your voice "Hey, drunk fratboys! Free transportation
back to
> home!", even aside from 'real' thieves.
>

> Jasper
>
> [1] http://www.armada-bike-security.com/
>
> [2]

http://www.wheel2wheel4bikes.com/products.php?mcat=2&brand=27&scat=93&prodid=158

Bikes are really handy for getting around campuses. Buy a decent lock for your bike - better yet buy
two - a sturdy U-lock as well as a cable lock. (thus the bike thief would need to have two types of
tools) As well with two locks it makes it easier to lock both wheels. Lock any pieces of the bike
that can easily disappear.

Beyond that, park your bike near other bicycles preferably nicer where your bike doesn't look
particularly like a target amongst them. If everyone on your campus has a brown 70's bike, then
yours would look the most tempting. Most likely it will fit in well.

[email protected] (bluesman5920) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I am looking to buy a bicycle for college (Oklahoma State University). I went to my local bike
> shop and found a Trek 4100 Alpha that I really liked ($250). For the college atmosphere, I thought
> this very inexpensive mountain bike would be a good choice.
>
> A lot of people have said that any bike I take to college will be stolen and that I really need
> like a brown 70's broken bike to have any hope of not getting one stolen. Should I even take a
> bike to college and if so what should I take? Will the above-mentioned bike be ok and what could I
> do to secure it?

Oh. And don't forget the big basket in the front. It completes the look and makes carrying your
books a breeze.

"Eric Vey" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> --get an old clunker. But do look for one with a 3speed hub,
especially
> if you've got hills. I just bought myself a new one last week, for about $150. Good steel frame,
> 3speed, drum brakes, baggage rack, lighting system, manufactured '85, all bearings adjusted
> properly, but slightly rusty
and
> unsightly.--
>
> This is what I did when I was in college. I bought an old 3 speed for $35. I kept it looking bad,
> but running good.
>
> I was pretty good about keeping it locked, but one night the rack got hit by "professionals" all
> aged under 18. The whole rack gets cleared out except for mine and a single speed . . . I had
> forgotten to lock
up

On 1 Jun 2003, Tanya Quinn wrote:

> Bikes are really handy for getting around campuses. Buy a decent lock for your bike - better yet
> buy two - a sturdy U-lock as well as a cable lock. (thus the bike thief would need to have two
> types of tools) As well with two locks it makes it easier to lock both wheels. Lock any pieces of
> the bike that can easily disappear.

One more recommendation: If you're getting an MTB-styled bike, it will likely come standard with a
quick-release seatpost. If so, replace it immediately with a regular pinch bolt, or somebody will
steal your seatpost and saddle. Silly, I know, but common here at the U of Washington.

Trent

In article <Pine.A41.4.44.0306020632470.130708-100000@homer40.u.washington.edu>, trent gregory hill
<[email protected]> writes:

> One more recommendation: If you're getting an MTB-styled bike, it will likely come standard with a
> quick-release seatpost. If so, replace it immediately with a regular pinch bolt, or somebody will
> steal your seatpost and saddle. Silly, I know, but common here at the U of Washington.

Sometimes I wish my Ol' Pig Iron had a QR seatpost. They are nice for dealing with steeper slopes.
And there are nifty first aid kits that are designed to be discretely crammed down the seat tube.

I often see riders who've parked their bikes, with saddle & post hanging from their backpacks. IOW,
you can just take it with you. OTOH, I guess it's nice to have one less thing to deal with in the
parking ritual/rigamarole of locking up, doffing hat, glasses & gloves, removing lights, etc.

cheers, Tom