bicycle purchase info

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Brink, Mar 27, 2003.

  1. Brink

    Brink Guest

    Hello, this is my first post on your news group.

    I have only been a mountain bike person to date. I am thinking of purchasing a new bike for riding
    on the road. I would like some advise on the style of bike you think I should get. I will probably
    not be in any races. (I may try one some day, but i do not think that  I should base the purchase on
    this.)  I will not be riding the bike for trips to the store or work, etc. I will use my old bke for
    things like that.  I think I would rather get a road bike than a hybrid so that i can take on some
    longer rides. I have looked up some styles of bikes that i might be considering and have attached
    the web pages. These bikes are not necessarily the bikes i would purchase, but they represent the
    different styles i am considering.

    A more comfortable and upright road bike http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/road/1000c.jsp

    A road bike with straight handle bars that is  more upright.
    http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/citybike/7500fx.jsp

    A more traditional road bike http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/road/1000.jsp

    As you can see I have only shown trek bikes. I am open to purchasing any of the different brands. Do
    you have a preference or do you think it matters at my level?

    I also think that i will be wanting shoes to clip into the pedals. Any good shoe brands that you
    like or brands to avoid?

    What about seats? Should i just get whatever seat comes with the bike or should i buy a seat of my
    own for added comfort? I will be wearing bike shorts with the padded posterior when riding the
    bike. I thought if i go on longer rides I might want it, but i don't know what normally comes with
    the bikes.

    Any advise you could lend would be appreciated. I may spend around $1000.00 for the bike.

    Thanks, Matt

    Tags:

  2. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > Any advise you could lend would be appreciated. I may spend around $1000.00 for the bike.

    IMO, this is really the sweet spot of road bikes. You can get some very good bikes in the $800 to
    $1000 range. I've been looking for a bike in this range, though I want one I can put a rack and
    fenders on if I decide to, for wet weather and longer touring, and my budget top is about $1200. If
    you might want to do that and your budget might stretch to there, here are the ones I'm considering
    (all prices mfg sugg list):

    Cannondale T-800, $1200 Specialized Sequoiah Expert, $1100 Specialized Sequoiah Sport, $850 Raliegh
    C700 $800 Fuji Touring $839 Bianchi San Remo $1199 Bianchi Volpe $849

    Happy hunting!!!

    it's morning".

  3. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    archer wrote:

    > I've been looking for a bike in this range, though I want one I can put a rack and fenders on if I
    > decide to, for wet weather and longer touring, and my budget top is about $1200. If you might want
    > to do that and your budget might stretch to there, here are the ones I'm considering (all prices
    > mfg sugg list):

    Another one to consider, although it's $1400, is the Romulus:

    http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/bikes_romulusframes.html

    It's a do anything, go anywhere road bike.