bicycle purchase info

Brink

Guest
Hello, this is my first post on your news group.

I have only been a mountain bike person to date. I am thinking of purchasing a new bike for riding
on the road. I would like some advise on the style of bike you think I should get. I will probably
not be in any races. (I may try one some day, but i do not think that  I should base the purchase on
this.)  I will not be riding the bike for trips to the store or work, etc. I will use my old bke for
things like that.  I think I would rather get a road bike than a hybrid so that i can take on some
longer rides. I have looked up some styles of bikes that i might be considering and have attached
the web pages. These bikes are not necessarily the bikes i would purchase, but they represent the
different styles i am considering.

A more comfortable and upright road bike http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/road/1000c.jsp

A road bike with straight handle bars that is  more upright.
http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/citybike/7500fx.jsp

A more traditional road bike http://www.trekbikes.com/bikes/2003/road/1000.jsp

As you can see I have only shown trek bikes. I am open to purchasing any of the different brands. Do
you have a preference or do you think it matters at my level?

I also think that i will be wanting shoes to clip into the pedals. Any good shoe brands that you
like or brands to avoid?

What about seats? Should i just get whatever seat comes with the bike or should i buy a seat of my
own for added comfort? I will be wearing bike shorts with the padded posterior when riding the
bike. I thought if i go on longer rides I might want it, but i don't know what normally comes with
the bikes.

Any advise you could lend would be appreciated. I may spend around $1000.00 for the bike.

Thanks, Matt

> Any advise you could lend would be appreciated. I may spend around $1000.00 for the bike.

IMO, this is really the sweet spot of road bikes. You can get some very good bikes in the $800 to
$1000 range. I've been looking for a bike in this range, though I want one I can put a rack and
fenders on if I decide to, for wet weather and longer touring, and my budget top is about $1200. If
you might want to do that and your budget might stretch to there, here are the ones I'm considering
(all prices mfg sugg list):

Cannondale T-800, $1200 Specialized Sequoiah Expert, $1100 Specialized Sequoiah Sport, $850 Raliegh
C700 $800 Fuji Touring $839 Bianchi San Remo $1199 Bianchi Volpe $849

Happy hunting!!!

it's morning".

archer wrote:

> I've been looking for a bike in this range, though I want one I can put a rack and fenders on if I
> decide to, for wet weather and longer touring, and my budget top is about $1200. If you might want
> to do that and your budget might stretch to there, here are the ones I'm considering (all prices
> mfg sugg list):

Another one to consider, although it's $1400, is the Romulus:

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/html/bikes_romulusframes.html

It's a do anything, go anywhere road bike.