Biggest problem out there - ourselves.

Marx SS

New Member
Jun 8, 2004
Rant begins:
Shyit, what’s it with these cycling commuters? Sure they gotta balance, but how about giving some room over to oncoming cyclists, like myself & taking into account people as people & not witches hats.

Some of my route into work everyday takes me onto shared pathways with pedestrians & other cyclists etc, which is fine by me. Pedestrians aren’t that much of a problem as they’re pretty slow moving so their wandering can be accounted for as I approach them. But oncoming cyclists are another thing. Some barrel right through, straight into me if I don’t swerve off & others do the ‘swing right to turn left’ [vice-versa] when I’m right up their clacker. This morning I came to a complete halt more than once to let other bikes cross my path, before I had to continue on, and this was guys just swerving left & right heading in the same direction as me.

Maybe I’m getting old & grumpy, but I have noticed now more than ever, pedestrians freezing in their spot as a bike approaches, and cyclists all forging their own path through a crowd instead of channelling a uniform line.
I suppose these riders are all experts but Joe public doesn’t appreciate the fly-by with inches to spare as much as the said rider did.

…where are my slippers?

Marx SS said:
[...]

i hear ya! the river path is full of sad little twats trying to compensate for something ;) and then 'dieing' at the mere whisper of a hill!
Head ing out of town they all try and pass each other frantically and usually slow appreciably around Richmond Boulevard.
These are the same twats who run red lights, dont give way to peds and never turn out when its even slightly wet. wimps, the lot of yer!$#@!!!!

It's funny how when 1 cyclist runs a red light we all do it all the time
as far as drivers are concerned. Yet every morning while out on my
morning ride i see more cars breaking the road rules but yet i still
don't think that all car drivers sre the same and they shouln't be
allowed on the road. (well ok some i do ) :)

Marx SS wrote:

> Rant begins:
> Shyit, what’s it with these cycling commuters? Sure they gotta balance,
> but how about giving some room over to oncoming cyclists, like myself &
> taking into account people as people & not witches hats.
>
> Some of my route into work everyday takes me onto shared pathways with
> pedestrians & other cyclists etc, which is fine by me. Pedestrians
> aren’t that much of a problem as they’re pretty slow moving so their
> wandering can be accounted for as I approach them. But oncoming
> cyclists are another thing. Some barrel right through, straight into me
> if I don’t swerve off & others do the ‘swing right to turn left’
> [vice-versa] when I’m right up their clacker. This morning I came to a
> complete halt more than once to let other bikes cross my path, before I
> had to continue on, and this was guys just swerving left & right heading
> in the same direction as me.
>
> Maybe I’m getting old & grumpy, but I have noticed now more than ever,
> pedestrians freezing in their spot as a bike approaches, and cyclists
> all forging their own path through a crowd instead of channelling a
> uniform line.
> I suppose these riders are all experts but Joe public doesn’t
> appreciate the fly-by with inches to spare as much as the said rider
> did.
>
> …where are my slippers?

Marx> Maybe I'm getting old & grumpy, but I have noticed now more
Marx> than ever, pedestrians freezing in their spot as a bike
Marx> approaches

I've noticed that at traffic lights when the green man's on. I've also
noticed a look of surprise when I actually stop.

Kinda sad really.

--
Cheers
Euan

flyingdutch said:
i hear ya! the river path is full of sad little twats trying to compensate for something ;) and then 'dieing' at the mere whisper of a hill!

Hey, I resemble that - I compensate for how I crawl up a gradual climb.
It's all the fault of my (700) 24/30 granny; grannies corrupt, absolute grannies corrupt absolutely.

What freaks me is those who overtake on blind crests and corners - coz its a path not a road? Especially when its a tunnel!

I've noticed that at traffic lights when the green man's on. I've also
noticed a look of surprise when I actually stop.

Kinda sad really.

--
Cheers
Euan

Yeah, I've experienced looks of utter amazement from other road users whilst stopping at intersections/ped lights. No rights without responsibilities, no responsibilities without rights....um I want to say more on this & related topics but don't have the time to don the flame-proof suit to discuss....cheers & good luck. :rolleyes:

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]
> Yeah, I've experienced looks of utter amazement from other road users
> whilst stopping at intersections/ped lights. No rights without
> responsibilities, no responsibilities without rights....um I want to
> say more on this & related topics but don't have the time to don the
> flame-proof suit to discuss....cheers & good luck. :rolleyes:

Anyone here own a blue Coppi? Ride Whitehorse Rd?
Stop running red lights ****!! I'm supposed to be in low
HR zones and then you force me to pass you, repeatedly,
continuously embarassing your slow ass in front of everyone.
I think it's the same tool I sooked about last time - the
Fitzroy knicks dude... imagine being passed.. by me
ahahahahahahaha! loser.

mad bad hippy

hippy wrote:
> then you force me to pass you, repeatedly,
> continuously embarassing your slow ass in front of everyone.
> I think it's the same tool I sooked about last time - the
> Fitzroy knicks dude... imagine being passed.. by me
> ahahahahahahaha! loser.

If I got embarassed everytime someone passed me (no it's nto me in
Hippy's post) I think I'd give the commute away. I used to console
myself with the fact that I'd be doing the passing if I had a decent
bike, but that got blown away the day I rode the new bike in and got
passed up a hill in Kew by a guy on a very crappy MTB in runners (the
rider had runners not the bike).

DaveB

hippy said:
Anyone here own a blue Coppi? Ride Whitehorse Rd?
Stop running red lights ****!! I'm supposed to be in low
HR zones and then you force me to pass you, repeatedly,
continuously embarassing your slow ass in front of everyone.
I think it's the same tool I sooked about last time - the
Fitzroy knicks dude... imagine being passed.. by me
ahahahahahahaha! loser.

mad bad hippy

What's a low HR zone???
some new fad/toy i need???
:rolleyes:

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote
> hippy Wrote:
> >
> > Anyone here own a blue Coppi? Ride Whitehorse Rd?
> > Stop running red lights ****!! I'm supposed to be in low
> > HR zones and then you force me to pass you, repeatedly,
> > continuously embarassing your slow ass in front of everyone.
> > I think it's the same tool I sooked about last time - the
> > Fitzroy knicks dude... imagine being passed.. by me
> > ahahahahahahaha! loser.
> >
> > mad bad hippy

> What's a low HR zone???
> some new fad/toy i need???
> :rolleyes:

Type of cycling pants to make riding faster..
Kinda like those low-cut jeans that all the
trendy chicks have to keep packing their
arses into. E1 HR for me is 130-150bpm.

hippy

hippy said:
"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote
> hippy Wrote:
> >
> > Anyone here own a blue Coppi? Ride Whitehorse Rd?
> > Stop running red lights ****!! I'm supposed to be in low
> > HR zones and then you force me to pass you, repeatedly,
> > continuously embarassing your slow ass in front of everyone.
> > I think it's the same tool I sooked about last time - the
> > Fitzroy knicks dude... imagine being passed.. by me
> > ahahahahahahaha! loser.
> >
> > mad bad hippy

> What's a low HR zone???
> some new fad/toy i need???
> :rolleyes:

Type of cycling pants to make riding faster..
Kinda like those low-cut jeans that all the
trendy chicks have to keep packing their
arses into. E1 HR for me is 130-150bpm.

hippy
Not related to Big Mig, then?

M "Can't . . . talk . . . lactate . . . threshold . . . beeeeeeeeeeeeeep . . . " H

mfhor said:
Not related to Big Mig, then?
M "Can't . . . talk . . . lactate . . . threshold . . . beeeeeeeeeeeeeep . . . " H

That was before my time pops ;) Nah.. what? I don't get it?

More like "hmm, hr not meant to be that high.. oh well.. what
the coach doesn't see.. "

hippy

hippy said:
That was before my time pops ;) Nah.. what? I don't get it?

More like "hmm, hr not meant to be that high.. oh well.. what
the coach doesn't see.. "

hippy
Pops? Yer young whippershnapper, I'll scone ya wif me Zimmer Frame, jusst you come . . . here . . . (pant, wheeze)

I don't know the exact sport science, but when exercising, your blood can only carry away so much toxic muscle byproduct (lactic acid & others) and your hear rate increases to try to do this. Getting oxygen to the muscles is a snip by comparison. Lactic threshold (as I understand it in a limited sort of way - any sports scientists out there?) is where your de-oxygenated blood is fully loaded up with nasties, your heart is at MaxHR and your muscles won't twitch any faster/stronger because they can't offload any more **** though your lungs/liver/kidneys any quicker than you're already doing it. That's why a Bex, a cuppa and a good lie down is nice after a little ride up Mt Buller, isn't it, pet? (wheeze, pant).

M "not so oldie, but an alrighty" H

DaveB said:
If I got embarassed everytime someone passed me (no it's nto me in
Hippy's post) I think I'd give the commute away. I used to console
myself with the fact that I'd be doing the passing if I had a decent
bike, but that got blown away the day I rode the new bike in and got
passed up a hill in Kew by a guy on a very crappy MTB in runners (the
rider had runners not the bike).

DaveB

Riding along Beaconsfield Pde in a mad hurry to be in St Kilda and back in Brunswick in 1/2 hr, I'm in a big gear trying to crank it through evening peak hr when I glance over the rooves of the stopped-in-traffic cars at the bike path along the sea wall, and there's this guy on a steel 10 spd (no, not a Pinarello Opera with Campag - a rusty old shitter), Atom fibreglass no-hole helmet, Dunlop Volleys, crankin there right along with me. Bigger gear, up to 40. He glances over, cranks it up. Crank some more, 43. Red light. He doesn't have one on the path. Turns green before I hit it. Serious chase ensues on the touring bike with full (heavy) Crumpler bag, work trousers and rainjacket. 45 and I'm just gaining on him, but only just. Neck and neck, across 5 lanes of traffic. Just before Acland St, he blows, but just in time, because I wasn't far off it.

HOW CAN A GUY ON A $150 BIKE DO 45 KPH DODGING ROLLERBLADERS? WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF HE GOT A GOOD BIKE? AAAAAGGGGHHH! I AM WEAK! I AM PITIFUL! I NEED A NEW BIKE! Or new legs.

M "Humbled" H

In article <[email protected]>,
mfhor <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't know the exact sport science, but when exercising, your blood
> can only carry away so much toxic muscle byproduct (lactic acid &
> others)

FWIW, the latest research suggests that lactate is "a useful and
efficient fuel source", and that all the talk of accumulated lactate
causing fatigue is cobblers. Here's a good article on it: http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2004/lactic_frederick

--
Shane Stanley

Shane Stanley said:
In article <[email protected]>,
mfhor <[email protected]> wrote:

> I don't know the exact sport science, but when exercising, your blood
> can only carry away so much toxic muscle byproduct (lactic acid &
> others)

FWIW, the latest research suggests that lactate is "a useful and
efficient fuel source", and that all the talk of accumulated lactate
causing fatigue is cobblers. Here's a good article on it: http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2004/lactic_frederick

--
Shane Stanley
Hmm, Interesting. Inorganic phosphates and lack of potassium.

M "Bananas" H

"mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote

> hippy Wrote:
> > That was before my time pops ;) Nah.. what? I don't get it?
> >

> Pops? Yer young whippershnapper, I'll scone ya wif me Zimmer Frame,
> jusst you come . . . here . . . (pant, wheeze)

:)

> to the muscles is a snip by comparison. Lactic threshold (as I
> understand it in a limited sort of way - any sports scientists out
> there?) is where your de-oxygenated blood is fully loaded up with
> nasties, your heart is at MaxHR and your muscles won't twitch any

It's not at HRmax, but that's about all I know :)

I think it's actually still being investigated by most sports scientists
so there's no certain rule about it. I thought it had something to do
with the point when your body cannot remove the lactic acid it is
producing, i.e. what you said.

http://home.hia.no/~stephens/lacthres.htm
http://www.sport-fitness-advisor.com/anaerobicthreshold.html

> M "not so oldie, but an alrighty" H

I was takin' the ****.. Big Mig was doing his thing before I
really knew anything about the TdF... so rather than rib you
about age you should give me a serve for being an ignorant
prat :)

hippy

"mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> DaveB Wrote:
>> If I got embarassed everytime someone passed me (no it's nto me in
>> Hippy's post) I think I'd give the commute away. I used to console
>> myself with the fact that I'd be doing the passing if I had a decent
>> bike, but that got blown away the day I rode the new bike in and got
>> passed up a hill in Kew by a guy on a very crappy MTB in runners (the
>> rider had runners not the bike).
>>
>> DaveB

> Riding along Beaconsfield Pde in a mad hurry to be in St Kilda and back
> in Brunswick in 1/2 hr, I'm in a big gear trying to crank it through
> evening peak hr when I glance over the rooves of the stopped-in-traffic
> cars at the bike path along the sea wall, and there's this guy on a
> steel 10 spd (no, not a Pinarello Opera with Campag - a rusty old
> shitter), Atom fibreglass no-hole helmet, Dunlop Volleys, crankin there
> right along with me. Bigger gear, up to 40. He glances over, cranks it
> up. Crank some more, 43. Red light. He doesn't have one on the path.
> Turns green before I hit it. Serious chase ensues on the touring bike
> with full (heavy) Crumpler bag, work trousers and rainjacket. 45 and
> I'm just gaining on him, but only just. Neck and neck, across 5 lanes
> of traffic. Just before Acland St, he blows, but just in time, because
> I wasn't far off it.
>
> HOW CAN A GUY ON A $150 BIKE DO 45 KPH DODGING ROLLERBLADERS? WHAT
> WOULD HAPPEN IF HE GOT A GOOD BIKE? AAAAAGGGGHHH! I AM WEAK! I AM
> PITIFUL! I NEED A NEW BIKE! Or new legs.
>
> M "Humbled" H
>

> --
> mfhor

How do ya reckon i felt, when riding along with my local BUG and here I am
with a nice new touring bike, 27 speeds, not much gear on the bike at the
moment, and i'm huffing and puffing going up this hill in pretty much the
2nd lowest gear, oh yes, i was well in the granny's, and i was overtaken by
this lady (about my age)40-ish with a 1970 type pink girls bike with basket
up the front, no gears, rusty chain, and she absolutely wiped me on the
hills and was right up there near the leader all day.....sheesh!! At this
point in time, the ol' Male ego telling me that "mate, there's no bloody
hope for you at all"!!

Regards

DJ

"mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote
> HOW CAN A GUY ON A $150 BIKE DO 45 KPH DODGING
> ROLLERBLADERS? WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF HE GOT A
> GOOD BIKE? AAAAAGGGGHHH! I AM WEAK! I AM
> PITIFUL! I NEED A NEW BIKE! Or new legs.

Hey man! My first race bike cost $100!

Besides.. it's not about the bike.. I think a kinda
okay rider mentioned that once..

hippy

"mfhor" wrote in message

snip

>, and there's this guy on a
> steel 10 spd (no, not a Pinarello Opera with Campag - a rusty old
> shitter), Atom fibreglass no-hole helmet, Dunlop Volleys, crankin there
> right along with me. Bigger gear, up to 40. He glances over, cranks it
> up. Crank some more, 43. Red light. He doesn't have one on the path.
> Turns green before I hit it. Serious chase ensues on the touring bike
> with full (heavy) Crumpler bag, work trousers and rainjacket. 45 and
> I'm just gaining on him, but only just. Neck and neck, across 5 lanes
> of traffic. Just before Acland St, he blows, but just in time, because
> I wasn't far off it.
>
> HOW CAN A GUY ON A $150 BIKE DO 45 KPH DODGING ROLLERBLADERS? WHAT
> WOULD HAPPEN IF HE GOT A GOOD BIKE? AAAAAGGGGHHH! I AM WEAK! I AM
> PITIFUL! I NEED A NEW BIKE! Or new legs.
>
> M "Humbled" H

He must be related to the guy I have chased (unsuccessfully !) a couple of
times here in Townsville.
About 65 yo, tatty OC Volleys, stackhat, shirt flapping in the breeze and
going like the clappers on what must have been his mothers bike. The
oldest, crappiest, rustiest ladies bike and he FLIES. Got close enough one
day to see that its got a Sturmy Archer 3 spd hub. Its even got the wire
basket on the handlebars !

Eggbeeta