bike abuse

I agree w/ you Saturn dude. I do the same w/ my tires. De-grease chain every week, wax every week, wipe it down every time I take it inside for the day, tune up every 6 months etc. "She" stays in my room, leaning against my book case. I named it "Katerina" [from breaking away]:D....I think I’ve gone mad.

Durangodave said:
Hey now..... the guy was complaining about people who leave their bikes in the RAIN, etc. I hate seeing a perfectly good bike (wherever it was made) rotting out in the rain. And, I'm not talking about it getting a little wet while you're sipping your latte, I'm talking about leaving it in the yard half the winter.
thanks bro! at least someone agrees with me! i have a lot of cash invested in my bikes, so why let them rot outside & neglect them?

saturnsc2 said:
thanks bro! at least someone agrees with me! i have a lot of cash invested in my bikes, so why let them rot outside & neglect them?
Yeah a lot of us have loads of $$$$ invested in bikes, me I've got about US$15,000 invested in my bikes......do I let them rot outside......no, but if my neighbour did who cares.

ryan_velo. said:
I agree w/ you Saturn dude. I do the same w/ my tires. De-grease chain every week, wax every week, wipe it down every time I take it inside for the day, tune up every 6 months etc. "She" stays in my room, leaning against my book case. I named it "Katerina" [from breaking away]:D....I think I’ve gone mad.
I just use H2O on my tires. In extreme circumstances I'll use bikewash. My bikes are generally off-road so they're supposed to be dusty looking.

ryan_velo. said:
lol! ya, we sound alike! i keep my bikes in the basement. i got a lot of money invested in my bikes, so what's the sin in taking care of them? i actually posted this same thread on several bike forums over the internet & i'm really taking a beating over them & that surprises me. you would think i'm some kind of child molester or something! i thought these forums are a place where us cyclists talk about our passion for cycling. as far as i'm concerned, bicycle cleaning is also part of cycling isn't it?

chch_legend said:
Yeah a lot of us have loads of $$$$ invested in bikes, me I've got about US$15,000 invested in my bikes......do I let them rot outside......no, but if my neighbour did who cares.
Agreed. If I had a Bentley, I'd spraypaint it to show my individuality & contravert conventionality. I'm not joking.

saturnsc2 said:
lol! ya, we sound alike! i keep my bikes in the basement. i got a lot of money invested in my bikes, so what's the sin in taking care of them? i actually posted this same thread on several bike forums over the internet & i'm really taking a beating over them & that surprises me. you would think i'm some kind of child molester or something! i thought these forums are a place where us cyclists talk about our passion for cycling. as far as i'm concerned, bicycle cleaning is also part of cycling isn't it?
I know! I always thought it was fun! BTW I love new bar tape, it's like a hair cut for your bike.

saturnsc2 said:
As long as you transport your bikes w/ a Ford or a Chrysler, your ok in my book :)

ryan_velo. said:
I know! I always thought it was fun! BTW I love new bar tape, it's like a hair cut for your bike.
ya, i got that on my handlebars too. it has padding underneath. my hands used to get sore from the old hard handlebar foam that was original & about 20 years old....

davidmc said:
Agreed. If I had a Bentley, I'd spraypaint it to show my individuality & contravert conventionality. I'm not joking.
Whats spraypainting a Bentley got to do with anything?????? Surely there are better ways of showing your individuality that spraypainting a classic car.

All I'm trying to say is....if people want to trash there rides thats up to them....I look after my bikes, as any other riding freak does. I'm not saying that it is right to trash a bike but if that's what blows your hair back then so be it

chch_legend said:
Obviously irony is lost on some people :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Since this is essentially a response to my post, let me say: your irony is very subtle, Master Melbourne.

Actually, when I look back on your comment:

chch_legend said:
Maybe he should spend more time riding and spreading the cycling revolution than worry about what someone else is doing or not doing.

I still can't smell the irony. Sarcasm, yes, but the only possible irony in that statement has the effect of making you look a bit hypocritical, which can't have been your goal.

Call me a chump, but I'm slightly disappointed to learn that the "cycling revolution" is just another bit of sarcasm.

On second thought, don't call me a chump.

Durangodave said:
Since this is essentially a response to my post, let me say: your irony is very subtle, Master Melbourne.

Actually, when I look back on your comment:

I still can't smell the irony. Sarcasm, yes, but the only possible irony in that statement has the effect of making you look a bit hypocritical, which can't have been your goal.

Call me a chump, but I'm slightly disappointed to learn that the "cycling revolution" is just another bit of sarcasm.

On second thought, don't call me a chump.
i think mister australia needs to take a chill pill & stop taking this thread so seriously....

jhuskey said:
Pro, you are way to detailed oriented for me. If I can differentiate my Trek MTB from my Look KG and get air in the tires and oil the hardware ocassionally I am good to go.

What's a kick stand?
thats class, its people like Huskey and me that actually get the job done when it comes to cycling...its all very well to polish it every week (the bike) and sit in in your bedroom and gaze at it all night, but how much do you actually ride? and do you have a busy personal life?

bike lust is bad enough, but keeping it in your bedroom and giving it a girls name is a bad sign...a very bad sign...perhaps you should get out more....get a girlfriend, get into drugs and alchohol...rock n roll...!!

MountainPro said:
....get a girlfriend, get into drugs and alchohol...rock n roll...!!
Absolutely, MP. Pearls of wisdom if I ever saw them. Ian Dury couldn't have put it better. The only path to true enlightenment. Sex 'n' drugs 'n' rock 'n' roll made me the 'well-rounded' character that I am today.
As a tip for the newbie, if you choose to substitute the girlfriend with a sheep, beware of it's cooking - it's ****. Even sauteed, grass is still grass.

saturnsc2 said:
o.k. let's just say as an american, i'm dismayed over seeing us sourcing all of our work overseas to other countries. i'm sick & tired of seeing americans laid off, eating out of garbage cans, ect. you can't buy anything here that's not made in china & i'm sick of that! i know a lot of people in the manufacturing business here & they are all hurting. anybody out there that's laid off? when's it going to stop? when were all poor? maybe we can all move to china & work in some sweat shop making $2.00 per hour.
Yes a much better idea to keep fat-unskilled retards earning 50K/yr. than to send it to somewhere where people are highly skilled, motivated, and work for much less. God Bless America! :rolleyes: Meritocracies are pretty scary to those that have nothing to offer, but much more fair for those that do.

wilmar13 said:
...Meritocracies are pretty scary to those that have nothing to offer, but much more fair for those that do.
Yep. If people wanted to pay 10K for a local-fabricated bike which they could buy for 2K as an import, I guess they would vote with their wallets. The fact that they are buying the 2K import tells me that their wallets have already spoken.
If the idea of instigating tariffs gets brought up, the good ol' boys have pretty much destroyed all of the tariffs in our Countries with their free trade / level playing field claptrap.
The reason Bubba no longer has his 50K p.a. job to support the 3 cars in his garage is that Bubba now has to compete with foreign Bubba's who don't have any cars or garages, can survive on a whole lot less and do just as good a job. There's a quaint name for it, I think it's called the 'real world', or something like that.
Is this thread getting hijacked?

wilmar13 said:
Yes a much better idea to keep fat-unskilled retards earning 50K/yr. than to send it to somewhere where people are highly skilled, motivated, and work for much less. God Bless America! :rolleyes: Meritocracies are pretty scary to those that have nothing to offer, but much more fair for those that do.
I like your style or, rather, logic ;)

EoinC said:
Yep. If people wanted to pay 10K for a local-fabricated bike which they could buy for 2K as an import, I guess they would vote with their wallets. The fact that they are buying the 2K import tells me that their wallets have already spoken.
If the idea of instigating tariffs gets brought up, the good ol' boys have pretty much destroyed all of the tariffs in our Countries with their free trade / level playing field claptrap.
The reason Bubba no longer has his 50K p.a. job to support the 3 cars in his garage is that Bubba now has to compete with foreign Bubba's who don't have any cars or garages, can survive on a whole lot less and do just as good a job. There's a quaint name for it, I think it's called the 'real world', or something like that.
Is this thread getting hijacked?
just watch the curbs on your china made bike. if you hit one, it might fall apart. like anything else in life, you get what you pay for...