Bike Computers

Strex

Guest
Are there any reviews on these on the web? I'm looking to buy one but most
of the ones I've had in the past die sooner than later .. Any
reccomendations? Or views?

There are reviews on heaps of stuff at www.mtbreview.com

I dunno if there are computer reviews but I would say that there would be.

Gags

Gags wrote:
> "Strex" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Are there any reviews on these on the web? I'm looking to buy one but

> most
> > of the ones I've had in the past die sooner than later .. Any
> > reccomendations? Or views?
> >

> There are reviews on heaps of stuff at www.mtbreview.com
> I dunno if there are computer reviews but I would say that there would
> be.
> Gags

Indeed, there are reviews on computers there. Although, not ever
product has been reviewed, so one has to try and see

-

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 13:36:21 +1100, Strex wrote:

> Are there any reviews on these on the web? I'm looking to buy one but most
> of the ones I've had in the past die sooner than later .. Any
> reccomendations? Or views?

How do they die?

We've smashed off mounting brackets, etc. but never had the
unit itself fail. Did you clean the electrodes (on the back
and the mount), and replace the battery etc?

curious,
-kt

Yep did that they eventually give up the ghost .. Cheap chinese ****!
news:p[email protected]...

Strex wrote:
> Are there any reviews on these on the web? I'm looking to buy one but
> most of the ones I've had in the past die sooner than later .. Any
> reccomendations? Or views?

Do a search with Google or some other search engine. Even do a search on
this forum, there has been HEAPS of posts on these things.

Why are people so obsessed with the damn things? A simple one that gives
you the speed, distance travelled, time taken and maybe average speed at
the end of the ride is enough. If you want more then pay for more. They
are all pretty much of a muchness I find.

--

> Strex wrote:
> > Are there any reviews on these on the web? I'm looking to buy one but
> > most of the ones I've had in the past die sooner than later .. Any
> > reccomendations? Or views?

If you want a HRM, go Polar.
If you want a cycle computer, don't buy
Vetta buy a Cateye Enduro 2. Thick
cabled version of the Cateye Mity 2.
Very tough computer, silver one goes
with most bikes :).
If you want cadence, I'm afraid I can't
help, the Vetta C-20 was the only
computer I owned that measured
cadence and it never worked.

hippy

>> Strex wrote:
>> > Are there any reviews on these on the web? I'm looking to buy one but
>> > most of the ones I've had in the past die sooner than later .. Any
>> > reccomendations? Or views?

http://www.mtbreview.com/

One thing always worth checking is the clearance between the sensor
and the magnet. I've found the magnet needs to almost touch the sensor
to be reliable. I think Cateye say about 3mm clearance but if it is
bumped away to 4 or 5 it won't work. So maybe they didn't die?
Cleaning the contacts is always worth a try. Check your leads as well.
You can get lead and sensor kits as well as magnets from Phantom
Cycles and probably a lot of bike shops as well. Not much can go wrong
with the computer its a bit like a digital watch really only needs to
be dry and have a good battery.

The Cateye Enduro is my favourite, mostly because I have 2 sets of
wheels with slicks on one and knobbies on the other. Calorie functions
are a load of BS so don't waste your dough in them. It takes so many
variables to calculate calories accurately you'd have to have a swag
of sensors all over the place ie. Wind speed and direction, gear
ratio, weight inclination or declination (altitude change) blah blah
blah etc etc. I do fancy the Cateye altitude one though but have heard
bad comments on reliability.

Good luck with your projects,

Regards,

Neil.

On the subject of the gap between magnet and sensor, I've found on my
road bike I have to be very careful with this gap. When I stand up on
the pedals for steep hills and throw the bike around a bit I find that
the magnet starts hitting the sensor. It's taken me a while to find a
gap that is small enough to work, but large enough to compnesate for the
wheel movement. When you are talking a couple of mm difference it's a
bit of a balancing act.
Dave B.

apologies tomuchspam wrote:

> http://www.mtbreview.com/
>
> One thing always worth checking is the clearance between the sensor
> and the magnet. I've found the magnet needs to almost touch the sensor
> to be reliable. I think Cateye say about 3mm clearance but if it is
> bumped away to 4 or 5 it won't work. So maybe they didn't die?
> Cleaning the contacts is always worth a try. Check your leads as well.
> You can get lead and sensor kits as well as magnets from Phantom
> Cycles and probably a lot of bike shops as well. Not much can go wrong
> with the computer its a bit like a digital watch really only needs to
> be dry and have a good battery.
>
> The Cateye Enduro is my favourite, mostly because I have 2 sets of
> wheels with slicks on one and knobbies on the other. Calorie functions
> are a load of BS so don't waste your dough in them. It takes so many
> variables to calculate calories accurately you'd have to have a swag
> of sensors all over the place ie. Wind speed and direction, gear
> ratio, weight inclination or declination (altitude change) blah blah
> blah etc etc. I do fancy the Cateye altitude one though but have heard
> bad comments on reliability.
>
> Good luck with your projects,
>
> Regards,
>
> Neil.

The cateye cordless 2 was a good piece of kit. didnt need sensors on th
back and had a good range. It was also a nice small size. I have one o
my road bike and am hoping to try and find one for my mtb. I dont reall
like the look of the cateye cordless 7. looks 'orribl

-

DaveB wrote:
> On the subject of the gap between magnet and sensor, I've found on my
> road bike I have to be very careful with this gap. When I stand up on
> the pedals for steep hills and throw the bike around a bit I find that
> the magnet starts hitting the sensor. It's taken me a while to find a
> gap that is small enough to work, but large enough to compnesate for the
> wheel movement. When you are talking a couple of mm difference it's a
> bit of a balancing act.
> Dave B.

Sounds odd - maybe your front hub is loose? Can you move the front wheel
side to side by hand at all?

&roo

Strex wrote:
> Are there any reviews on these on the web? I'm looking to buy one but
> most of the ones I've had in the past die sooner than later .. Any
> reccomendations? Or views?

I posted my review on the Ciclosport CM212 to this forum just a coupl
of day ago. Check out the review>accessories>computers. I will post mor
reviews on my other computers soon

I have used Cateye Enduro 2. Nice little computer but limited functions
I've used it in dust and rain a lot. If you want just the basics with
durable build, it's the one to go with. I find cadence a very usefu
feature for longer distances where a steady rhythm improves endurance
Hence my road and commuting bikes have computers with cadence. MTBing
usually involving sharp but relatively short ascents and descents
doesn't require cadence really. I don't recall any MTB computer tha
featured cadence

Shimano Flightdeck is not a bad package, but I have used it only o
road. My Ciclosport CM212 is great, but with lots of wiring, it may no
suit off-road. The wireless Flightdeck may be a good idea. No wires, an
it also features virtual cadence

I bought a Sigma BC1200 for my new MTB, and it went nuts on my firs
serious off-road ride. Returned it yesterday, and got myself a wireles
CicloMaster CM434

-