Bike for a big guy

Sparkletuna

Apr 25, 2016
hey all I'm Leif. I'm new to the forum. I am interested in getting into biking. I haven't been on a bike in 10 years. I am 6'2" 350lbs. I am just starting my weight loss journey and down 25lbs already. I have absolulty zero experience with quality bikes. I want a a bike for mainly riding on concrete maybe a little trail riding. What would you guys suggested? I've spent the last few days on forums looking for answers but it's all a foreign language to me haha. My price range is $500-1000. Thanks in advance.

Hey Leif, welcome to the forum. Maybe @cyclintom will show up in here and have some suggestions for you. I'm a few years away from biking myself. But I'm eager to see what he recommends, as I'm a little on the large side myself. I'll check back to see how it goes for you. :)

With a price range of $500-$1000 you will certainly find a big guy's bike! Just do a quick Google search and look online. There's lots of bikes at a decent price for bigger guys, even ones with wider sets and such. I'm sure you'll find exactly what you're looking for online.

And, welcome to the forum and welcome to biking! It's a fantastic... And FUN way to get in shape!

My price range is $500-1000. Thanks in advance.

If you plan on getting a mountain bike, this should be more then enough. The easiest advice I can give is to go to your LBS (local bike store) and have them give you recommendations. I'm sure they get this question all the time and are experts in this.You will most likely get free service for some time with a shop purchase and a warranty. The assistant manager type guy at my LBS is pretty close to your size and is a mountain biker, these bikes exist. Go to your LBS:get a solid bike within your budget, buy some biking gear, and hit the trails!

Thanks for all the responses. I went to my loca bike shop. I purchased a trek 820. Reasonably priced. I rode it on Saturday. Comfortable to ride so I'm happy with my purchase. A mix or trail and pavement and it whooped up on me. Lots of stuff to learn on what gears are for what conditions.

I'm glad you found what you need. I was kind of worried and disappointed that somebody told you to google it. I'm glad you went to a LBS because that was the best advice.

It can be a big bike. lol No I think that it depends on the person and I think that he should buy from anearby shop because he can judge it more accurately and more sharply. All the best.;)

hey all I'm Leif. I'm new to the forum. I am interested in getting into biking. I haven't been on a bike in 10 years. I am 6'2" 350lbs. I am just starting my weight loss journey and down 25lbs already. I have absolulty zero experience with quality bikes. I want a a bike for mainly riding on concrete maybe a little trail riding. What would you guys suggested? I've spent the last few days on forums looking for answers but it's all a foreign language to me haha. My price range is $500-1000. Thanks in advance.

I know how you feel man. You should get you a mountain bike. The bike should be pumped up with air. You should get a bike with skinny tires. The type of brand is not important. What is important is getting a bike with skinny tires. Those type of bikes require less work and move faster then fat tire bikes.

I know how you feel man. You should get you a mountain bike. The bike should be pumped up with air. You should get a bike with skinny tires. The type of brand is not important. What is important is getting a bike with skinny tires. Those type of bikes require less work and move faster then fat tire bikes.
Can you back that up with anything? I have never heard of advising a big guy to use thin tires.

Hey, ok, it's a bicycle, it should hold your weight but, the best way to know is to sit on a bike with skinny tires and see what happens. Make sure the tires are pumped up. Tires can hold a lot of weight. You can go to Wal-Mart and sit on a bike for free. In any event you need to sit on some bikes and see what happen. Don't get perionoid. it like that Nike commercial "Just do it." Just do it man. Then you will know.

Your biggest worry is going to be your wheels. Definitely go with larger tires to start. The frames are strong and built to take a beating (one would hope). When I started my weight loss (5'10" 250lbs), i used an old mountain bike to get started. I sat on a road bike and what the tires did kinda scared me. Also, being heavier, the ride with larger tires is more cushioned. All that weight on your sit bones hurts, more so over rough roads. Plus you have more flesh down there to get all bunched up and wrong. I am now down to 230lbs (6 months of swearing at myself) and on a road bike. The big thing I still have to watch for is to not hit a bump/pothole/railroad tracks too hard because my added mass will break a wheel (just broke one 2 days ago). Yes, anyone can ruin a wheel, but if you are heavier, it takes a lot less effort to do so. Word of advice: ALWAYS make sure your brakes are working properly. It is a lot harder to stop when you are heavier.

My suggestion is look for a double shock absorber/suspension bikes, those are more expensive due to extra mechanic pieces. But is a neat choice for a big guy. These come in all sizes and varieties. Ask more experienced users here for recommended specific brands.