Bike on a budget

groeqa18

Jul 18, 2013
To start off I'm only 22, and I don't have all that much money to throw around. But I used to ride 6 or so miles a day when I was in high school. After I went to college I stopped, and now I want to get back in to riding and hopefully some longer rides... I haven't looked very long, but I'm worried my about my size. I'm 260 give or take a little and most of the bikes I've looked at seem like that's about the top end of how much they can handle. I was hoping to find something that would be in the $300-$400 after all is said and done. I want to make sure I still have it in me before I save up and buy something better in a year or two. I'll admit I don't know of many bike shops in my area (think Green Bay). I saw some at target that I think would be okay to get me back in the sport but thought I should ask for some opinions before I jump the gun and am unhappy with what I decide. Thanks for reading and looking forward to all advice. EDIT: forgot to add that I ride strictly on paved roads and don't particularly want a mountain bike.

You should go to a bike shop and try out road bikes and hybrids. Then (yeah, I'm going to get some heat for this) check out Craigslist and bikesdirect.com Be sure and read up on how to find the proper size for your bike. Don't get hung up on bike brand names. Other than staying away from big-box store bikes, the only names that matter are the component brands/models and even then, it isn't all that important. I've been riding a bike with the cheapest Shimano derailluers for over a year and haven't had any problems, but I can always upgrade it if I choose to.
I've bought three bikes from bikesdirect and been very happy with all of them. I've also bought from a bike shop (Specialized & Fuji), the only difference is that you pay twice as much at a bike shop and you still are likely to have to do your own adjustments and tuning up. And in all cases, you're likely to toss the seat away and buy a better one. I bought my first bike (as an adult) 15 years ago at age fifty and I thoroughly enjoy biking and am getting exercise I wouldn't be getting any other way. I hope you enjoy biking as much as I do - good luck to you.

BTW - I don't want to give the impression that I've gone through a bunch of bikes in fifteen years - We (wife & I) still ride each and everyone of our six bikes - road bikes, hybrids, one mountain bike & one tandem.

Thanks for your reply! I'll be sure to find a bike shop and look around and ask questions. Little did I know a large group ride is going through my town today and seeing them makes me want to get out there more.

You might have some luck going vintage. Those old steel lugged frames are well built and bombproof, provided you get a decent one (I'm partial to Fujis.) You can get a decent one around where I live in the ballpark of 100$, that needs nothing more than tubes, tires, and a solid cleaning and tuning, so a grand total of 150-175$. You could use the rest of the money to get a solid set of deep-vs and turn it into a fixie :p