Bike racks/carriers for carrying on bikes?

Hi,
I'm new to the group, so I apologize if this is an old topic.

I tend to bike to places, but sometimes I'm too tired, or it's too
late, or I just don't feel like biking home. (Parties and such.) What
I'd really like to get a ride home, or at least closer to my house.
While most of my friends would be willing to give me such a ride, they
don't tend to carry around bike racks, so I can't take my bike home,
which I use constantly.

Are there any bike racks that can easily be carried on a bike? Maybe
something that would fit in the triangle (i don't know what it's
called.) So I can ride somewhere, and then catch a car ride back, or
partially back, using the bike rack that I brought with me.

Does such a product exist?

Thanks

<[email protected]> wrote: (clip) So I can ride somewhere, and then catch
a car ride back, or back, using the bike rack that I brought with me. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Folding bike. A bike rack that would fit on or in a bike, and be easily
installed on a variety of different cars seems like a difficult project.

23 Jun 2005 11:47:18 -0700,
<[email protected]>,
[email protected] wrote:

>Are there any bike racks that can easily be carried on a bike? Maybe
>something that would fit in the triangle (i don't know what it's
>called.) So I can ride somewhere, and then catch a car ride back, or
>partially back, using the bike rack that I brought with me.
>
>Does such a product exist?

I've yet to see any such product. The more common solution is to use
quick release hubs and remove the front wheel so the bike fits into a
car's interior or trunk
--
zk

I don't really like biking distances on a folding bike, and besides, I
love my bike and I don't really want to buy another one.

Thanks for the idea, though.

Zoot Katz wrote:
> 23 Jun 2005 11:47:18 -0700,
> <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] wrote:

<snip>
> >Does such a product exist?

> I've yet to see any such product. The more common solution is to use
> quick release hubs and remove the front wheel so the bike fits into a
> car's interior or trunk
> --
> zk

Add a QR skewer for the seatpost, take off both wheels and the seatpost
and I have yet to see a bike/car trunk combo that wont work. Get a
collar of some sort (tape, zip tie, somthing fancier) for the seatpost
so you don't need to constantly re-figure out it's height.

As long as you remember to put the drive-side (right) of hte bike
facing up, you won't even get their trunk dirty. If that's a big
concern you'd probably be better off carrying a small lightweight tarp
to protect the car. Something like a piece of tyvek housewrap would
work well.