Bike Racks?

Bob Newman

Guest
We are trying to free up a little room in the house and I want to get the
bikes better organized. I've seen these racks that stack two bikes
vertically but I'm not sure I'm up to lifting the top one on & off
regularly. How are these hooks that let you hang the bikes on the wall by
the wheel. To us untrained people it seems like a lot of strain on the
wheel. Can they cause any damage to the bike?

Thanks in advance... Bob

Thu, 5 Aug 2004 20:18:58 -0400, <y7AQc.6843$Yf6.1061@lakeread03>,
"Bob Newman" <[email protected]> wrote:

>How are these hooks that let you hang the bikes on the wall by
>the wheel. To us untrained people it seems like a lot of strain on the
>wheel. Can they cause any damage to the bike?

No problems from hanging bikes by their wheels.
--
zk

Bob Newman wrote:

> We are trying to free up a little room in the house and I want to get the
> bikes better organized. I've seen these racks that stack two bikes
> vertically but I'm not sure I'm up to lifting the top one on & off
> regularly. How are these hooks that let you hang the bikes on the wall by
> the wheel. To us untrained people it seems like a lot of strain on the
> wheel. Can they cause any damage to the bike?

We have had six bikes hanging that way since about 1980. No problems.

In fact: One evening my brother brought his two kids over. They were
about 10 or 12, I'd say. We were upstairs, the boys were bored playing
in the basement, and I heard one say "Nick, you'd better cut it out!"

I went downstairs to find Nick using one of the bikes as a swing!
_Still_ no problems.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

On Fri, 06 Aug 2004 10:28:17 -0400, Frank Krygowski
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Bob Newman wrote:
>
>> We are trying to free up a little room in the house and I want to get the
>> bikes better organized. I've seen these racks that stack two bikes
>> vertically but I'm not sure I'm up to lifting the top one on & off
>> regularly. How are these hooks that let you hang the bikes on the wall by
>> the wheel. To us untrained people it seems like a lot of strain on the
>> wheel. Can they cause any damage to the bike?

>We have had six bikes hanging that way since about 1980. No problems.
>
>In fact: One evening my brother brought his two kids over. They were
>about 10 or 12, I'd say. We were upstairs, the boys were bored playing
>in the basement, and I heard one say "Nick, you'd better cut it out!"
>
>I went downstairs to find Nick using one of the bikes as a swing!
>_Still_ no problems.

When I was at Cambridge, the University installed some meat-hook style
bikeracks near the History Faculty building. This was meant to
address the chronic shortage of bike parking spaces.

Many of us in the History department began lobbying aggressively for
their removal and replacement with more conventional Sheffield stands,
citing the difficulty (and mess) of having to hang up your bike,
potentially dripping with rain and muck and whatnot (it is Cambridge
after all. It rains. a lot.) onto a meathook. That, and a lot of
people--not least the dons themselves--still use majestically heavy
bicycles to get around, and hoisting 20-some kg of bicycle over your
head is no fun when you're running to a lecture.

So the Faculty began petitioning the university authorities. "Bike
racks, not meat hooks!" went the slogan. As far as I'm aware, the
campaign failed, and the meathooks are still there, in the passage
between the Seeley and the new Divinity building. And as far as I'm
aware, they're always full.

-Luigi

Well I guess that settles it.

Bob

news:[email protected]...

"Bob Newman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> We are trying to free up a little room in the house and I want to get the
> bikes better organized. I've seen these racks that stack two bikes
> vertically but I'm not sure I'm up to lifting the top one on & off
> regularly.

How heavy is your bike? I use a rack like you mention and putting the bike
on the top hooks is no biggie.

In article <[email protected]>,
Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> writes:

> As far as I'm aware, the
> campaign failed, and the meathooks are still there, in the passage
> between the Seeley and the new Divinity building. And as far as I'm
> aware, they're always full.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Too bad; I was whimsically envisioning ways to make those
meathooks musical, clanging against each other, when not in use.
Maybe if they were artsie-fartsie'd up a bit, it might at least
cheer people up about having to use 'em.

If there's a big ol' bronze statue of Newton handy somewhere
around there, I'd feel /so/ compelled to lock my bike to that -
just 'cuz it seems so apropos somehow. Especially if I could
lock my bike to his ankle, like a ball-&-chain. But no doubt
some stuffed shirt would complain about it.

cheers,
Tom