bike seat material, question

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dh

I'm thinking about modifying a bike that I haven't yet ordered and what to have an idea of what
to expect.

Giant offers a hybrid bike and it comes with a back support. I'm thinking of using material that I
saw which is about 1.5" thick, black in color and cellular, much more open than a sponge. I'm sure
you guys know what I mean. I have no idea of how much it compresses, but wouldn't be surprised if it
is rather stiff ... I don't know. I saw that material in a bike store looking though the window; the
store was closed.

What I'd like to know, how do you work with it. I assume I can easily cut it with large scissors
or a razor blade. What I'd like to know, how is it mounted to another surface. How do you guys
work with it?

Thanks, Dave Horne

DH <[email protected]> wrote:

: Giant offers a hybrid bike and it comes with a back support. I'm thinking of using material that I
: saw which is about 1.5" thick, black in color and cellular, much more open than a sponge. I'm sure
: you guys know what I mean. I have no idea of how much it compresses, but wouldn't be surprised if
: it is rather stiff ... I don't know. I saw that material in a bike store looking though the
: window; the store was closed.

Hmm if you are talking about seat cushion material for recumbents... Yes it compresses quite a bit.

: What I'd like to know, how do you work with it. I assume I can easily cut it with large scissors
: or a razor blade. What I'd like to know, how is it mounted to another surface. How do you guys
: work with it?

I cut it with a large knife... maybe scissors. I make a patch that is somewhat larger than the
seat, cover it with fabric and tie it to the seat with a kind of strap around both. (Pictures
coming some day.)

--
Risto Varanka | http://www.helsinki.fi/~rvaranka/hpv/hpv.html varis at no spam please iki fi

"DH" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> I'm thinking about modifying a bike that I haven't yet ordered and what to have an idea of what
> to expect.
>
> Giant offers a hybrid bike and it comes with a back support. I'm thinking of using material that I
> saw which is about 1.5" thick, black in color and cellular, much more open than a sponge. I'm sure
> you guys know what I mean. I have no idea of how much it compresses, but wouldn't be surprised if
> it is rather stiff ... I don't know. I saw that material in a bike store looking though the
> window; the store was closed.
>
> What I'd like to know, how do you work with it. I assume I can easily cut it with large scissors
> or a razor blade. What I'd like to know, how is it mounted to another surface. How do you guys
> work with it?
>
> Thanks, Dave Horne
>
>

My Optima Dolphin has the open cell black foam cushion and is attached with 2 large Velcro patches.
Also I read in another forum that some are using padding made from the roll up pads you use under a
sleeping bag available at outdoor stores.

"DH" skrev...

> Giant offers a hybrid bike and it comes with a back support. I'm thinking of using material that I
> saw which is about 1.5" thick, black in color and cellular, much more open than a sponge. I'm sure
> you guys know what I mean. I have no idea of how much it compresses, but wouldn't be surprised if
> it is rather stiff ... I don't know. I saw that material in a bike store looking though the
> window; the store was closed.

It compresses enough not to feel bouncy but still supports in the right places. (Well mine does
anyway :) )

> What I'd like to know, how do you work with it. I assume I can easily cut it with large scissors
> or a razor blade. What I'd like to know, how is it mounted to another surface. How do you guys
> work with it?

Scissors and carpettape (adhesive on both sides). Theres carpettape and carpettape though. You need
something sticky. Then just place cut pad on seat and sit on it for a while. I just use the foam
without any cover. This is on a HP Velotechnik carbonseat.

Regards Mikael

The best way to cut open cell foam is with your electric carving knife.

"Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "DH" skrev...
>
> > Giant offers a hybrid bike and it comes with a back support. I'm
thinking
> > of using material that I saw which is about 1.5" thick, black in color
and
> > cellular, much more open than a sponge. I'm sure you guys know what I mean. I have no idea of
> > how much it compresses, but wouldn't be
surprised
> > if it is rather stiff ... I don't know. I saw that material in a bike store looking though the
> > window; the store was closed.
>
> It compresses enough not to feel bouncy but still supports in the right
places.
> (Well mine does anyway :) )
>
> > What I'd like to know, how do you work with it. I assume I can easily
cut
> > it with large scissors or a razor blade. What I'd like to know, how is
it
> > mounted to another surface. How do you guys work with it?
>
> Scissors and carpettape (adhesive on both sides). Theres carpettape and
carpettape
> though. You need something sticky. Then just place cut pad on seat and sit
on it
> for a while. I just use the foam without any cover. This is on a HP
Velotechnik carbonseat.
>
> Regards Mikael

"DrJoel" skrev...
> The best way to cut open cell foam is with your electric carving knife.

Ah. That would be the electric carving knife I don't own. ;-)

M.

Dave Myers, how do you attach the Velcro to the open mesh material? There's little surface area. Do
you sew directly to the mesh or do first make a cover and sew to that?

There are adhesives that work well on this material. I currently use 5 min epoxy for both that pad
and seat velcro. If you are prone to removal of the pad often a real good bond is necessary. As my
opencell pad is over a year old and is falling apart at the bottom edge and infiltrating my shorts
Ugh! I am forced make a new one. An associate has used inexpensive 5/8" closed cell material from a
sleeping pad. He likes it. However.....WARNING! If you have comfort issues with thicker pads you
will likely not like this approach. I routinely ride 60/100 with minimal stops (1/2) and have no
comfort issues with the M5/Optima/Swanson type seats. No RB or back pain.
--
Jude....///Bacchetta AERO St. Michaels and Tilghman Island.. Maryland Wheel Doctor Cycle and Sports,
Inc 1-800-586-6645 "DH" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dave Myers, how do you attach the Velcro to the open mesh material? There's little surface area.
> Do you sew directly to the mesh or do first make a cover and sew to that?

Status
Not open for further replies.