Bike shop employees: nightmare customers

Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:
> So who here has nightmare customers who make you want to just grab them and
> shake the sense out of them?

It can work both ways. An aquantance was shopping for a bike and was
offered a sale price on a nice Land Shark w/ Campy group. He haggles
over the price and they make a deal. Later, the salesman calls him at
home and tells him a mistake has been made. He calculated the price
incorrectly by not taking the Ergo levers into account. This was back
in the day when most bikes still had downtube levers and Ergo was an
expensive upgrade. Salesman wants the bike back so they can take the
Ergo off. Otherwise they will put an additional charge on his credit
card. He refuses and contacts us for advice. We suggest he discuss the
issue with shop owner who we considered to be a reasonable man. He does
that and gets accused of intentionally cheating the shop. He's told
that if he brings the bike in for the free service that was part of the
deal, the Ergo levers will come off. So, instead of a satisfied
customer telling everyone what a great deal he got, they have a ******
off customer telling a horror story. The salesman was later arrested
for embezzling from the shop. The shop later went out of business.

Bret