Bike stolen in broad daylight, lock questions

On ebay, there' a guy selling chain with a link size of 19mm !!!, there's very little in the way of portable tools that will get through 19mm chain. Cost is about £100 for 1.5m of 19mm chain, and there are other options.

The company that makes the chain has a website: http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

On ebay, there's a guy selling chain with a link size of 19mm !!!, there`s very little in the way of portable tools that will get through 19mm chain. Cost is about £100 for 1.5m of 19mm chain, and there are other options.

The company that makes the chain has a website: http://www.almax-security-chains.co.uk/

You are crazy!! Hope you do not live in a big city like NY...

JTE83 said:
I take the risk of locking my $3721 Kestrel Talon and $3800 Cervelo Soloist Team. I use those ON GUARD locks now. Hope they never get stolen. If I have to lock my bikes long then I'll just use my cheaper OCR 1, Raleigh Prestige, or TCR Aero 2.

Your best bet is to get a "beater" bike...I went on ebay and put together a decent bike with a few hundred bucks that looks like it is as old as me but can actually move well...when I am training, I make sure I go far enough that I will hit nice small towns where they do not steal bikes or not stopping long and will be heading back home soon enuf...

I hate carrying around the huge chains that weigh more than the bike so the beater is fine with a plain old ulock no lone will care about.

I learned this lesson the hard way as only two weeks after I bought my Lemond Poprad it was stolen...that was going to be my second bike after I sold my Cannondale F400...lucky did not loose the Trek 5000 but it still hurt alot...

-john sirabella

jeffreydse said:
I had the displeasure of getting my bike stolen the other day. I had it locked up properly in a VERY busy area, and it still dissapeared. I was using a thick cable lock with a combo. It makes me sick that people do this to others.

So I'm out $1k but in the meantime I went and visited the bike shop to look at locks. I ended up walking out of the store with $90 in locks - both Onguard. One is a u lock with an added closed loop cable, and the other is an *extremely* thick shielded cable lock, both with keys.

What kinds of locks do you all use? I plan to use both of these at all times now, even though it means I have to carry a backpack. Are there any techniques for lockup that are better than others? Did I make the right choices of locks to buy?

jsirabella said:
You are crazy!! Hope you do not live in a big city like NY...

I live in Chicago, IL. And I do ride and lock up my expensive bikes after a workout to go eat or browse around. I won't leave them out overnight anywhere though.

RAF_Groundcrew said:
On ebay, there's a guy selling chain with a link size of 19mm !!!, there`s very little in the way of portable tools that will get through 19mm chain. Cost is about £100 for 1.5m of 19mm chain, and there are other options.

That is a serious LOCK!! Guys, look at the shot where the chain is on the steam tractor. It really shows the relative size.