Bike / touring gear shake-down ride questions / observations

Ken M

Guest
Okay I just got back from my 25 mile shakedown ride. No major problems.
Just a few quirky little things.

(1) frame / mini pump - Mine sucks for topping up road tires.
Suggestions? Does anyone know if someone makes a co2 inflator that
doesn't have to be used all in one shot? One with some sort of on/off
valve deal. Or perhaps a small floor type pump, small enough to be
packed on a touring bike.

(2) cycling shoes - mine feel fine while riding, but when I am off the
bike they hurt my toes a little. Anyone else have this problem? Or is
it just me and my shoes?

(3) Handlebar bar bag compressing shifter cables and causing the
"auto-shift" syndrome. So I put the bag behind all the cables but now
it is really not easy to get into. Thinking that this might have been a
waste of money, this may get left behind.

(4) cycling shorts - My first time wearing them, they are FAR more
comfortable than I ever imagined! Should have started wearing them
months ago!

(5) handlebar mounted rear-view mirror - It's okay, but I still find
myself looking over my shoulder.

(6) Old Man Mountain racks - The best!

(7) Ortlieb panniers - The best!

(8) Hydropack / camelback / sippysack - Great product, well designed,
easy to use and carry on your back. But whats up with the funky taste?
It's brand new, is there someway to clean out that taste? Or does it
just go away over time?

Comments? Feedback? Suggestions?

All in all it was a pretty successful ride.

Ken

Ken M wrote:

> (8) Hydropack / camelback / sippysack - Great product, well designed,
> easy to use and carry on your back. But whats up with the funky taste?
> It's brand new, is there someway to clean out that taste? Or does it
> just go away over time?

Rinse it out with a small amount of bleach and water, then rinse very
thoroughly before refilling.

On 25 Sep 2005 08:21:30 -0700, "Ken M" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Okay I just got back from my 25 mile shakedown ride. No major problems.
>Just a few quirky little things.
>
>(1) frame / mini pump - Mine sucks for topping up road tires.
>Suggestions? Does anyone know if someone makes a co2 inflator that
>doesn't have to be used all in one shot? One with some sort of on/off
>valve deal. Or perhaps a small floor type pump, small enough to be
>packed on a touring bike.

Topeak MorphPump - take a look:
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?...1963&sku=11578&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

>(2) cycling shoes - mine feel fine while riding, but when I am off the
>bike they hurt my toes a little. Anyone else have this problem? Or is
>it just me and my shoes?

Maybe, not so tight, when putting on, or loosen as you ride. . My
feet swell a little when riding.

>(3) Handlebar bar bag compressing shifter cables and causing the
>"auto-shift" syndrome. So I put the bag behind all the cables but now
>it is really not easy to get into. Thinking that this might have been a
>waste of money, this may get left behind.
>
>(4) cycling shorts - My first time wearing them, they are FAR more
>comfortable than I ever imagined! Should have started wearing them
>months ago!
>
>(5) handlebar mounted rear-view mirror - It's okay, but I still find
>myself looking over my shoulder.

As you should. Just like checking your blind spot, when driving.
mirrors are to be trusted when they show that a car [for example] is
there. When they show nothing, then you should double check. I have a
mirror on both of my bikes, I like them.

>(6) Old Man Mountain racks - The best!
>
>(7) Ortlieb panniers - The best!
>
>(8) Hydropack / camelback / sippysack - Great product, well designed,
>easy to use and carry on your back. But whats up with the funky taste?
>It's brand new, is there someway to clean out that taste? Or does it
>just go away over time?
>
>Comments? Feedback? Suggestions?
>
>All in all it was a pretty successful ride.
>
>Ken

Life is Good!
Jeff

On 9/25/05 10:21 AM, in article
[email protected], "Ken M"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Okay I just got back from my 25 mile shakedown ride. No major problems.
> Just a few quirky little things.
>
> (1) frame / mini pump - Mine sucks for topping up road tires.
> Suggestions? Does anyone know if someone makes a co2 inflator that
> doesn't have to be used all in one shot? One with some sort of on/off
> valve deal. Or perhaps a small floor type pump, small enough to be
> packed on a touring bike.

Genuine Innovations makes a CO2 inflator (I believe the Proflate 16) that
that is operated by a trigger so that it can easily turned on and off. I
have one and it uses the larger 16 gram refills which is nice. I don't
however, leave a partially used cartridge in the inflator for a long periods
of time so I can't really tell you how long the remaining cartridge pressure
would be maintained. I do know that pressure is maintained for at least
several hours.
Chuck

Joe Canuck wrote:
> Ken M wrote:
>
>> (8) Hydropack / camelback / sippysack - Great product, well designed,
>> easy to use and carry on your back. But whats up with the funky taste?
>> It's brand new, is there someway to clean out that taste? Or does it
>> just go away over time?

> Rinse it out with a small amount of bleach and water, then rinse very
> thoroughly before refilling.

Citric Acid works very well also. It comes in powder form. I got some
from my grandmother who uses it for canning. I think you can find it in
grocery stores, or online at some place like:

<http://www.canningpantry.com/citric-acid.html>

Note: I found the above doing a google search, and I have not actually
bought anything from that site.

With new water bottles, I generally rinse them with dish soap. After
rinsing all the soap out, I fill with water and a spoon of citric acid
and let sit for atleast 2-3 hours; longer is better. Then rinse with
soap again. That gets rid of the funky taste from the plastic.

It also works well for cleaning electric water kettles, coffee makers, etc.

Randy.

Ken M <[email protected]> wrote:
:>
:> (3) Handlebar bar bag compressing shifter cables and causing the
:> "auto-shift" syndrome. So I put the bag behind all the cables but now
:> it is really not easy to get into. Thinking that this might have
:> been a waste of money, this may get left behind.

http://www.timberlinestore.com/timberlinetimingstore/bitoptugebag.html

Top tube frame pack

http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FFP

:>
:> (5) handlebar mounted rear-view mirror - It's okay, but I still find
:> myself looking over my shoulder.

Ditch that. Google Take-a-look mirror.

Check out the site "outdoor frontier" They have a good mini floor pump
for $25. comes in a small bag that you can strap to the frame. Has
gauge. I just used mine for the first time an got 100PSi on a 700/38 in
no time. No more tired arms, just sit down and use your legs

Ed

On 25 Sep 2005 13:51:10 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

>Check out the site "outdoor frontier" They have a good mini floor pump
>for $25. comes in a small bag that you can strap to the frame. Has
>gauge. I just used mine for the first time an got 100PSi on a 700/38 in
>no time. No more tired arms, just sit down and use your legs

Howdy,

It is apparently Outdoors Frontier...
^

They are at: http://www.outdoorsfrontier.com

All the best,
--
Kenneth

"Ken M" wrote ...
> Okay I just got back from my 25 mile shakedown ride. No major problems.
> Just a few quirky little things.
>
> (1) frame / mini pump - Mine sucks for topping up road tires.
> Suggestions? Does anyone know if someone makes a co2 inflator that
> doesn't have to be used all in one shot? One with some sort of on/off
> valve deal. Or perhaps a small floor type pump, small enough to be
> packed on a touring bike.

Zefal HpX, the gold standard in frame pumps. Apparently there's a new and
improved model out (heresy! sacrilege! ).

> (2) cycling shoes - mine feel fine while riding, but when I am off the
> bike they hurt my toes a little. Anyone else have this problem? Or is
> it just me and my shoes?

Bike racers traditionally wear their shoes tight. Thinner socks? Throw a
pair of Teva sandals in the panniers?

> (3) Handlebar bar bag compressing shifter cables and causing the
> "auto-shift" syndrome. So I put the bag behind all the cables but now
> it is really not easy to get into. Thinking that this might have been a
> waste of money, this may get left behind.

Campagnolo ErgoPower has concealed shifter and brake cables, but changing
your whole drive train could cost a fair bit. Rivendell's Baggins Hobo Bag
probably wouldn't interfere with the shifter cables as much (or at all) if
you're into waxed cotton, leather and brass. Real Cycle Tourists (TM) use
bar end shifters, preferably non indexed or with the indexing disabled.

> (4) cycling shorts - My first time wearing them, they are FAR more
> comfortable than I ever imagined! Should have started wearing them
> months ago!

Bib shorts are even nicer, as long as your cycling and not trying to answer
the call of nature. Be careful, though, there's a lady on uk.rec.cycling who
gets violent when you mention bibshorts.

> (5) handlebar mounted rear-view mirror - It's okay, but I still find
> myself looking over my shoulder.
>
> (6) Old Man Mountain racks - The best!

I like my Nitto Campee (yes, that's the name) front and rear racks.

> (7) Ortlieb panniers - The best!

Yes, they are. When I was in Scotland last year I saw cycle tourists whose
Ortlieb panniers probably cost more than the bikes they were attached to.
Waterproofness definitely trumps light weight (and a lot of other things)
when you cycle in the UK.
--
mark

Ken M wrote:
> Okay I just got back from my 25 mile shakedown ride. No major problems.
> Just a few quirky little things.

<snip>

> (3) Handlebar bar bag compressing shifter cables and causing the
> "auto-shift" syndrome. So I put the bag behind all the cables but now
> it is really not easy to get into. Thinking that this might have been a
> waste of money, this may get left behind.

Here's a link to Arkel's solution to bar bag blues:

http://www.arkel-od.com/technical/shiftersBB.asp

Two Avid Rollamajigs or two v-brake noodles will re-route your shifter
cables to a more convenient positions.

-Buck

"Ken M" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> (2) cycling shoes - mine feel fine while riding, but when I am off the
> bike they hurt my toes a little. Anyone else have this problem? Or is
> it just me and my shoes?

My feet also swell slightly when I bike long distances. I now wear sandals
that solves the swelling problem but they have other advantages. They dry
quickly when wet and are cooler in hot weather. Many in our bike club prefer
them and a few wear them year round but with layers of socks in the colder
months. I wear a light sock or apply sun screen to prevent sunburn.
Richard