Bikers of the world, organize? or not?

AryaSnark

May 5, 2016
Central Europe
I was talking with a friend recently about how bad are often bike lanes in Poland - poorly planned, and sometimes mantained, how in some places municipial police turns a blind eye to them used as free parking space etc. and we came to a conclusion that what could help would be a national organization of casual cyclists. We have several now, but only local, and while they do good stuff, I wonder if soem form of federation of these wouldn't have more clout when negotiating with various city authorities. Or maybe it would be all superficial? Let me know what do you think of this idea.

(Before you ask, I don't see myself as a president of this ;) I'm not an activist)

Sad to say that bike lane sometimes turns to be parking space on some places. Well, helping one another have a safe ride is not being an activist. Negotiating the city authorities to free up the bike lane and give parking fines and penalty charge for those having a free parking space - is not a bad idea.

Yes! It should not be taken into consideration for those people who uses the bike lane as parking space. It's a shame to those people who does that, there should be a big fine or penalty to that circumstance.

Yes! It should not be taken into consideration for those people who uses the bike lane as parking space. It's a shame to those people who does that, there should be a big fine or penalty to that circumstance.

In most places where the parking lane extends into the bike lane there is no option. We don't need no fracking bike lanes. The law allows us to take up as much space as we require up to and including an entire lane should that be necessary.

So if we're allowed to take a lane it's only meet that we allow cars to park in bike lanes where there is no other options.

Sad to say that bike lane sometimes turns to be parking space on some places. Well, helping one another have a safe ride is not being an activist. Negotiating the city authorities to free up the bike lane and give parking fines and penalty charge for those having a free parking space - is not a bad idea.

I agree with you on the need for the authorities to act more on ensuring that the car are parked on the right lane while the bike lanes are left for them as well. It is not really nice to see situations where the bikes lane are filled up with cars.

This is why I usually have a spot that's free for putting my bike. It's hard to find open areas where you don't have to worry about it. I tend to avoid areas that get crowded easily such as bike lanes that frequently get taken by vehicles.

Yea, bike lanes are usually not taken seriously by other motorists especially on the wider roads, so I guess letting ourselves known can work through an organization.

Yea, bike lanes are usually not taken seriously by other motorists especially on the wider roads, so I guess letting ourselves known can work through an organization.

That us true. It is paramount that we have an organization that will protect the interest of those of us that ride especially on some roads. Ensuring that we've got a good lane along the road is one agenda that the organization should try to put in place as we aim to be have fun riding.