Bikesdirect.com

some bloke

Jul 27, 2004
Is bikesdirect.com a reputable source? Their website looks a little on the cheap side, and they boast of amazing one time special buys which allow them to sell at such discounts. Is it for real, so they sell older models, what is the story?

some bloke said:
Is bikesdirect.com a reputable source? Their website looks a little on the cheap side, and they boast of amazing one time special buys which allow them to sell at such discounts. Is it for real, so they sell older models, what is the story?
I was happy with them. I bought the 2004 Motebecane Legacy Pro. It is one sweet bike!

They deal with Fuji (which is available at many LBS's), Motobecane, Windsor, and Mercier which are hard to find and not mainstream names any longer. These names were once considered top of the line bikes made in various places (France, UK, Mexico)--now they are made in Taiwan (but so are many other bikes!).

The components are good, the frames are made by respectable companies, and, from my experience and from what I've read in this forum and others, most people have had good experiences with their purchases.

If you are considering a Fuji, I'd suggest you go to a shop that carries the bike you are interested in, get fitted and try it out. You can then see if the LBS will be competitive enough for you to buy the bike there or through Bikes Direct.

I bought mine sight unseen and that worked fine in my case!

They sell a lot on ebay, both as set-price and auctioned (with reserve).
I bought a Windsor Dover from them and it's everything I expected. It is the least expensive aluminum road bike (steel fork) that I have seen. I paid $355 plus shipping. They make all kinds of frames, and you have a good choice of frame sizes for most models. The components are Shimano Sora, but you can go up from there.
I think the reason bikesdirect can sell so cheap is that they sell in volume over the internet, and the bike brands are less well-known.
I can say they met or exceeded my expectations.

some bloke said:

gazookas said:
I was happy with them. I bought the 2004 Motebecane Legacy Pro. It is one sweet bike!

They deal with Fuji (which is available at many LBS's), Motobecane, Windsor, and Mercier which are hard to find and not mainstream names any longer. These names were once considered top of the line bikes made in various places (France, UK, Mexico)--now they are made in Taiwan (but so are many other bikes!).

The components are good, the frames are made by respectable companies, and, from my experience and from what I've read in this forum and others, most people have had good experiences with their purchases.

If you are considering a Fuji, I'd suggest you go to a shop that carries the bike you are interested in, get fitted and try it out. You can then see if the LBS will be competitive enough for you to buy the bike there or through Bikes Direct.

I bought mine sight unseen and that worked fine in my case!
Thank you for suggesting people go waste bike shop's time fitting them up with a bike properly so they can go order it on the internet. No LBS can compete with mail order warehouse prices very well. We have greater overhead, deal in less volume, so good prices aren't available to us, and we have to staff the place with people that know what they're doing, so we can fit these people with bikes. We give away too much everyday, we get used and abused by non customers. They want to come in, try on our bikes and clothes and shoes ( ie. overhead) and then go get it elsewhere. But they shamelessly show up for our group rides on their mail oreder bikes and mail order clothes and they take advantage of our rides, our free waterbottles, free drinks, hanging out and drinking our good coffee, wanting "deals" on service because they are our "riding buddies" Good bike shops are dropping like flies. Everyone wants us to have the sharpest mechanics, the latest and coolest bikes and gear in stock so they can touch it and try it great facilities, and big contributions to the sport. But they don't want to pay for it. While they want all of these things, they want a bargain even more. So when there is nobody but Nashbar and Bikes Direct left, where are all these losers gonna try on their shoes?

wayfastwhitey said:
Thank you for suggesting people go waste bike shop's time fitting them up with a bike properly so they can go order it on the internet. No LBS can compete with mail order warehouse prices very well. We have greater overhead, deal in less volume, so good prices aren't available to us, and we have to staff the place with people that know what they're doing, so we can fit these people with bikes. We give away too much everyday, we get used and abused by non customers. They want to come in, try on our bikes and clothes and shoes ( ie. overhead) and then go get it elsewhere. But they shamelessly show up for our group rides on their mail oreder bikes and mail order clothes and they take advantage of our rides, our free waterbottles, free drinks, hanging out and drinking our good coffee, wanting "deals" on service because they are our "riding buddies" Good bike shops are dropping like flies. Everyone wants us to have the sharpest mechanics, the latest and coolest bikes and gear in stock so they can touch it and try it great facilities, and big contributions to the sport. But they don't want to pay for it. While they want all of these things, they want a bargain even more. So when there is nobody but Nashbar and Bikes Direct left, where are all these losers gonna try on their shoes?

As far as BikesDirect as a place to get a bike, I have a friend who got one from there and is very satisfied with it. The only drawback I noticed (and this was a year ago) was that there isn't much ability to customize compenents and so on--one way they minimize their costs.

As for the quote above, there are always going to be people looking for the absolute best deal they can find--and as long as they're not doing anything illegal there isn't anything wrong with that. You sound pretty upset about being in the bike shop business, so cut your losses and get out. If I were one of your customers or people that showed up to your rides, I can certainly tell you that after reading your post I wouldn't come back. The biggest benefit to a LBS is the customer service you get, and referring to your clients that like to try stuff on, fit bikes, and join your rides on their internet-bought-bikes as "losers" is quite unprofessional.

It is understandable to be upset about it, but do you really think that getting mad at customers that don't want to buy from your store is going to help you in any way?? I don't think it works that way. When I go into my LBS', if I get extremely good customer service, a person that is willing to spend time with me and answer my questions, I'm willing to spend the extra money to support them. If I feel any pressure to buy the first thing I look at, or notice someone being "bothered" by my questions, then I'll use them what I came there for--information only. I'm not going to hand over extra money to a shop that doesn't want to help me.

Thank you for suggesting people go waste bike shop's time fitting them up with a bike properly so they can go order it on the internet.
I must admit that I am guilty of doing the same. I recently bought a Specialized Roubaix Pro and got fitted and test rode at a LBS. I had mixed feelings about doing this. I am a business owner myself and understand the scenario very well. I did however return to that shop and paid them to build the bike and fit me on it, as well as purchase some minor accessories. I have also referred everyone that has commented on my bike to that shop. I really did want to support the shop more, but it was just to hard to resist when they wanted $1500 for the DA 10spd group and it was going on eBay for $1100 (just one example). I saved almost a $1000 buy piecing it together off of eBay. I could tell the shop owner was frustrated when I came in with everything for them to build up. He ended up charging me about $50 more then he originally quoted for the build and fit. It didn't really bother me, if I put myself in his shoes, I'd do the same. I also stated my intentions at the time of the test ride and fit. I told him that I was in no rush and would keep my eyes open for a frame set on eBay, and if I couldn't find one I would purchase one from him. At least we can be honest when doing this.

Good point, and a valid source of guilt.

Ultimately, you've got to strike a balance between not exploiting the stores, and not allowing yourself to be exploited. If I can save several hundred dollars by evaluating a bike at a store and actually purchasing online or by mail, I'll do it--and I'll make a serious attempt to use that LBS as my regular pickup spot for tubes and repairs.

It works out.

martin_j001 said:
As far as BikesDirect as a place to get a bike, I have a friend who got one from there and is very satisfied with it. The only drawback I noticed (and this was a year ago) was that there isn't much ability to customize compenents and so on--one way they minimize their costs.

As for the quote above, there are always going to be people looking for the absolute best deal they can find--and as long as they're not doing anything illegal there isn't anything wrong with that. You sound pretty upset about being in the bike shop business, so cut your losses and get out. If I were one of your customers or people that showed up to your rides, I can certainly tell you that after reading your post I wouldn't come back. The biggest benefit to a LBS is the customer service you get, and referring to your clients that like to try stuff on, fit bikes, and join your rides on their internet-bought-bikes as "losers" is quite unprofessional.

It is understandable to be upset about it, but do you really think that getting mad at customers that don't want to buy from your store is going to help you in any way?? I don't think it works that way. When I go into my LBS', if I get extremely good customer service, a person that is willing to spend time with me and answer my questions, I'm willing to spend the extra money to support them. If I feel any pressure to buy the first thing I look at, or notice someone being "bothered" by my questions, then I'll use them what I came there for--information only. I'm not going to hand over extra money to a shop that doesn't want to help me.
I am not overly upset, nor am I interested in getting out of the business, I was emphatically saying that this is a frustrating and all too common scenario that happens. Most people look at it only from their point of view which is dollars and cents to them, I was merely trying to point out that on the other side of the table is the LBS . We are on the front line, and are responsible for educating people, promoting cycling in our area, providing products and services, and generally keeping the cycling culture going at a local level. This requires a love for the sport which I have, and not a focus on profits. If you come in my store you will get the same treatment that everybody does. Friendly, helpful , informative, and supportive. You don't make any friends being a pretetious ass, and I never am, all I am saying is you hope for a little give and take, so I was trying to point out what the LBS does for you, and how by buying cheap from mail order in the long run might be shooting yourself in the foot. I like to look for the best deal too, but it is the local businesses that I frequent that scratch my back too. I could get my car parts somewhere online, but I go to the local parts store. When I needed a jump box on a Sunday night, the owner set it outside around the back for me, and I brought it back the next day. I don't think he would offer the same treatment to me if I came in, and made hime price out parts for a timing belt job, and said ok thanks I'll go get it online for 15% less. Maybe my view is too optimistic in the business world, but I don't do this for business, I do it for bikes.

WFW

lokstah said:
Good point, and a valid source of guilt.

Ultimately, you've got to strike a balance between not exploiting the stores, and not allowing yourself to be exploited. If I can save several hundred dollars by evaluating a bike at a store and actually purchasing online or by mail, I'll do it--and I'll make a serious attempt to use that LBS as my regular pickup spot for tubes and repairs.

It works out.
Hey, I appreciate your recognition of needing a balance, that is exactly my point. We don't try to exploit anyone, but there is only so much we can do on pricing.

wayfastwhitey said:
Hey, I appreciate your recognition of needing a balance, that is exactly my point. We don't try to exploit anyone, but there is only so much we can do on pricing.

Agreed. WFW, if you don't mind me asking, what causes such a difference in prices of bikes between the places like BikesDirect and LBS'--is it just volume? Is there a difference in the price that you would pay vs what BikesDirect would pay for the same bike? Sorry for my ignorance on the subject.

OCRoadie said:
I must admit that I am guilty of doing the same. I recently bought a Specialized Roubaix Pro and got fitted and test rode at a LBS. I had mixed feelings about doing this. I am a business owner myself and understand the scenario very well. I did however return to that shop and paid them to build the bike and fit me on it, as well as purchase some minor accessories. I have also referred everyone that has commented on my bike to that shop. I really did want to support the shop more, but it was just to hard to resist when they wanted $1500 for the DA 10spd group and it was going on eBay for $1100 (just one example). I saved almost a $1000 buy piecing it together off of eBay. I could tell the shop owner was frustrated when I came in with everything for them to build up. He ended up charging me about $50 more then he originally quoted for the build and fit. It didn't really bother me, if I put myself in his shoes, I'd do the same. I also stated my intentions at the time of the test ride and fit. I told him that I was in no rush and would keep my eyes open for a frame set on eBay, and if I couldn't find one I would purchase one from him. At least we can be honest when doing this.
I understand you work hard for yor money, and you want to be wise with it. We work hard too, and if people keep coming in and doing that, we have a really used roubaix that we can't even sell for cost anymore. We can stock a bunch of low end bikes, because most people in that price range aren't enthusiasts yet, and come in for education, and they like to be helped in buying the bike. They don't have all the bike warehouses in their favorites on their computer. They appreciate our help, we make them comfortable on the bikes, and they buy one that they like. The high end stuff costs more to keep in stock, people like you (not trying to point the finger, just an example) are looking for us to have full size runs of the higher end bikes you want to try out so you can try one that fits. But now if you, and everyone els leave and go get it cheaper, what do we do with our big inventory? Eventually we'll have to start renting them out instead of doing test rides, and then selling them used at the end of the year. I know you guys see what I am saying. Maybe you are not all small business owners, but I can tell you it is tough, especially retail.

It's probably great that there is a market for both and hopefully folk like myself can keep the LBS entertained with a purchase.

Last week a guy at the gym asked to join us on the group rides, but at the same time he has a loaner road bike that does not fit him and he does not have the income to get a decent bike. I told him of the importance of being fitted to the bike and that was worth the cost of a LBS and to know they can keep it tuned up as well, but I also showed him a mail order bike with high end components for almost half the cost of the LBS.

I have reached a point in my life that I can casually lay 2 or 3 K down without a problem. It was worth it to me to be fitted correctly and the guys at www.all3sports.com did a great job. The owner spent about 45 minutes fitting me to the bike and I left the store feeling good about the purchase. On the flip side I have been in some other LBS near me and the guys in those shops acted as if I wasn't even there and didn't seem interested to find out if I wanted to purchase. Not every LBS is a nice place to visit and they provide so little help that one might as well take a chance on mail order. Fortunately the guys that carried Felt were very helpful.

martin_j001 said:
Agreed. WFW, if you don't mind me asking, what causes such a difference in prices of bikes between the places like BikesDirect and LBS'--is it just volume? Is there a difference in the price that you would pay vs what BikesDirect would pay for the same bike? Sorry for my ignorance on the subject.
Volume plays a part in cost of bikes, parts etc. It get's cheaper in large volume, but most LBS target market not large enough to deal in volume. Also overhead is a huge part of end cost to consumer. We have a full staff of qualified and trained mechanics, fitters etc. We pay a little more to our employees, but we get more out of it, and so do customers. This is the biggest overhead expense, also the shop. It is a nice place to come to. What you would expect of proffessional operation, also all associated bills and insurances as well as supporting local charities, events, reapair clinics, group rides etc. to promote cycling. Most of these expenses are avoided by warehouses.

Felt_Rider said:
It's probably great that there is a market for both and hopefully folk like myself can keep the LBS entertained with a purchase.

Last week a guy at the gym asked to join us on the group rides, but at the same time he has a loaner road bike that does not fit him and he does not have the income to get a decent bike. I told him of the importance of being fitted to the bike and that was worth the cost of a LBS and to know they can keep it tuned up as well, but I also showed him a mail order bike with high end components for almost half the cost of the LBS.

I have reached a point in my life that I can casually lay 2 or 3 K down without a problem. It was worth it to me to be fitted correctly and the guys at www.all3sports.com did a great job. The owner spent about 45 minutes fitting me to the bike and I left the store feeling good about the purchase. On the flip side I have been in some other LBS near me and the guys in those shops acted as if I wasn't even there and didn't seem interested to find out if I wanted to purchase. Not every LBS is a nice place to visit and they provide so little help that one might as well take a chance on mail order. Fortunately the guys that carried Felt were very helpful.
I agree with you about the pervasiveness of bad bike shops, I am on a continuing quest to spread the joys of ours though. I spent 2.5 hours helping a first time customer get cleats lined up properly on her spin class shoes. I set her up on a stationary and worked with her for a while to make them comfortable and properly positioned. Will she come back? I don't know, but I know she is spinning away right now comfortably and pain free. That makes me happy.

wayfastwhitey said:
I understand you work hard for yor money, and you want to be wise with it. We work hard too, and if people keep coming in and doing that, we have a really used roubaix that we can't even sell for cost anymore. We can stock a bunch of low end bikes, because most people in that price range aren't enthusiasts yet, and come in for education, and they like to be helped in buying the bike. They don't have all the bike warehouses in their favorites on their computer. They appreciate our help, we make them comfortable on the bikes, and they buy one that they like. The high end stuff costs more to keep in stock, people like you (not trying to point the finger, just an example) are looking for us to have full size runs of the higher end bikes you want to try out so you can try one that fits. But now if you, and everyone els leave and go get it cheaper, what do we do with our big inventory? Eventually we'll have to start renting them out instead of doing test rides, and then selling them used at the end of the year. I know you guys see what I am saying. Maybe you are not all small business owners, but I can tell you it is tough, especially retail.
I understand completely, like Lookstah said, it's all about balance. I try to support my LBS as much as possible. In the long run, they will probably profit more from bike service, clothes, tubes, tires, referals etc. than from the purchase of a bike. Feel free to point the finger, I'm guilty as charged. But like I mentioned in my original post, first of all I was honest about my intentions (the shop could have turned me away), secondly, because of their superior service, they gained at least one and problaby more loyal customers. A trade off indeed.

wayfastwhitey said:
I agree with you about the pervasiveness of bad bike shops, I am on a continuing quest to spread the joys of ours though. I spent 2.5 hours helping a first time customer get cleats lined up properly on her spin class shoes. I set her up on a stationary and worked with her for a while to make them comfortable and properly positioned. Will she come back? I don't know, but I know she is spinning away right now comfortably and pain free. That makes me happy.
That kind of service makes a great impact I believe.
I would definately go back because of the service and attention that I felt I received. Just like I gave them a plug in my post and I do when talking to local cyclist. I think you will find reward in that.

My bike gets a lot of looks and I had considered taking the LBS decals off the bike, but I like the bike shop enough to keep them on the bike a little while longer. So a good impression with the customer may go further than one might think.

OCRoadie said:
I understand completely, like Lookstah said, it's all about balance. I try to support my LBS as much as possible. In the long run, they will probably profit more from bike service, clothes, tubes, tires, referals etc. than from the purchase of a bike. Feel free to point the finger, I'm guilty as charged. But like I mentioned in my original post, first of all I was honest about my intentions (the shop could have turned me away), secondly, because of their superior service, they gained at least one and problaby more loyal customers. A trade off indeed.
That's good, I'm glad to hear your experience was good, and you will frequent them in the future.

Felt_Rider said:
That kind of service makes a great impact I believe.
I would definately go back because of the service and attention that I felt I received. Just like I gave them a plug in my post and I do when talking to local cyclist. I think you will find reward in that.

My bike gets a lot of looks and I had considered taking the LBS decals off the bike, but I like the bike shop enough to keep them on the bike a little while longer. So a good impression with the customer may go further than one might think.
I hope it does, usually my enthusiasm is pretty contagious anyway. I only got started on this topic because of the way the idea of going to the bike store, test riding their stuff and then mail oreder it was being carelessly tossed around as thought that is THE way to do it. I didn't mean to hijack this thread, sorry guys.

WFW

Wayfast,

Trust me, I know it's upsetting to see things changing into what they are but it's just the way business is done today. Hell, my whole career has turned to scheiße and right now some towel headed ******** named Tarbosh or Sanjay or some such **** is doing my old job in Bangalore for about 1/5th of what I was paid. I can't compete with that. Does my former employer give a rat's ****? Nope. All they saw were dollar signs. Does the government care? Nope. In fact they actually encourage it, thanks in part to Allan Greedspan and the like. They've all somehow blindly looked past all of the undesirable social consequences such as increased alcoholism, increased domestic violence, higher divorce rates, higher crime rates, yadda yadda in favor of saving a few bucks.

What you are describing has already happened or is going to happen to nearly everybody in the United States. And if it doesn't happen to them directly, it will happen indirectly through family members or increased competition in the labor market. Unless we're all willing to have another French Revolution it isn't going to change and will probably get much worse until we have 2 distince classes of income - the very wealthy and the very poor. At least Nashbar is still within the United States.

By the way, what's up with the gummy bear stuff?

Just an FYI, Bikedirect.com also has Local shops as well. I was in Scottsdale, AZ or one of the other northern suburbs of Phoenix a year ago and was shocked to see a Bikedirect shop. I believe they have 5 - 10 shops mainly in the southwestern states. I went in and talked to the guy who was a part owner of the online shop as well. They were knowledgable and a lot of help.