Warning about BikesDirect.com

Pjkeebler

Jul 25, 2003
For anyone considering purchasing a bike from bikesdirect.com, please consider the following:

I purchased a Motobecane bike in August, 2002 from this organization. These bikes come with a lifetime warranty guarantee. Unfortunately, when I contaced bikesdirect.com regarding a possible defect with the bike (as covered by the warranty), they were unresponsive. I have since filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and am awaiting the outcome.

Sadly you are not the only person I heard with problems.

That is what happens when people look for the best price. Anyone can advertise and sell lower, but the service. Very ferw online sources are ran by actual people that know the bsuienss and sport. Many are just tech guys with money to dump on a nice ecommerce interface or just business men buying overstocks.

Bikes Direct tends to seel bikes in the box which is 'illegal' by many companies. Bikes they sell must be assembled and not shipped as they ship. But it is up to customers if they want that way or not.

Anyone can tell you lifetime. Truth is very few if any frames carry a real lifetime warranty. Lifetime means many things. On frames lifetime means 1-5 years in many cases.

Sadly you cannot contact Motobecane either.

Best of luck with your problem. I cannot help you.

What exactly is the frame problem? (Emailme direct for faster response)

From the reviews I’ve read (positive and negative) and from my own experience I can sum up the bikesdirect.com experience like this: It’s a crapshoot.

There are 2 main ways that it can go for you:
1) Everything goes smoothly, they have your bike in stock, and you get it in good condition.
Or
2) Something (big or small) goes wrong with your order and you need to get information from them or get any service whatsoever and you wind up in a very frustrating ordeal trying to get some satisfaction.

My experience was mostly the latter and I’m a very patient person but this was really an amazingly bad experience dealing with this company. It went like this:

I ordered a Le Champion SL 58cm from the web page.
My card was charged that same day.
I received a “Tracking Number” from UPS 2 days later (but this tracking number was a “Billing Information Received” information number and essentially doesn’t actually give you a trace). It DID say that the scheduled delivery date was 5 business days later so I waited.
The package did not show up by the scheduled date or by the 7-10 days that is advertised.

I emailed to get some information 8 days after I placed the order but received no response.
I emailed again 12 days after the order date and received the following email:

“You should have gotten the bike by now- I will put a trace in on it and will ship you a replacement. We are sold out of these in our main warehouse and I'll have to find one in one of our subsidiary warehouses - if the silver is not available, is black OK?”

After emailing twice more with no response I finally got a response indicating that the bike was out of stock and that I could either have a refund or get a $200 discount on a choice of 3 other bikes (none of which I really wanted). I indicated that I wanted the refund and then at the very last moment I was offered the bike I had originally ordered but in a 56cm frame (the last one apparently). Since I had almost ordered the 56cm size originally (I was on the fence) I accepted the offer and the bike arrived a week later in good shape (approximately 1 month after I had originally ordered it).

Having said all of that, I’m quite happy with the bike that I got, but the experience was basically a stressful disaster in which most of the time I didn’t even know what was going on or being done to resolve my order.

If the picture isn’t clear from the story above it can be summed up like this:
There is practically NO customer service and there is a reason that there is no phone number to call … they don’t really have a clue where your order is in their “system” so they wouldn’t be able to tell you anything even if there was a number.

If you are lucky you will get your order on time and there will be nothing wrong with it and you will think bikesdirect.com is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

If you are unlucky like me and their website shows that they have the bike in stock when in fact they do not … they will take your money immediately the day you order and you’ll be waiting weeks to get your bike and usually days to get any kind of response as to what the hell is going on!?! I mean really, how in the hell did they not even have an IDEA that my bike wasn’t shipped or even in stock after 2 weeks???

So ultimately you either get a cool bike at a really good price or you get a huge headache and maybe get your bike after much stress and trouble … and like I said … it’s a crapshoot. I would absolutely positively NOT order from here if you need to get the bike on time (say before a trip or something). Don’t take that chance.

I’ve done a lot of purchasing from internet retailers (from computer parts to cookware) and any reputable and professional retailer does not charge your account until your product ships and at the very least they do not charge your account without knowing whether the item is in stock. If an item is backordered it is charged only when shipped. This is absolutely not the case with bikesdirect.com as I’ve illustrated above.

I've considered buying a bike from BikesDirect before. However, my intentions were to gut it and put the components on a better frame. :D

Pjkeebler said:
For anyone considering purchasing a bike from bikesdirect.com, please consider the following:

I purchased a Motobecane bike in August, 2002 from this organization. These bikes come with a lifetime warranty guarantee. Unfortunately, when I contaced bikesdirect.com regarding a possible defect with the bike (as covered by the warranty), they were unresponsive. I have since filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and am awaiting the outcome.
Not making excuses for the bikesdirect; they should certainly reply to your emails.

Did you read your "lifetime warranty"? Most that I've read from the major brands cover only defects in materials and workmanship, and specifically exclude wearout, fatigue damage, wear and tear, abuse, etc. Don't know what your failure is, but considering you bought a bargain bike over 3 years ago, seems to me they could claim fair wear and tear. Haven't you gotten your moneys worth already?

On a bike this old, it may be tough to get a warranty claim honored by the major LBS brands, let alone an internet discounter selling whatever the chinese factory ships.

What problem are you having with your Moto. I have one of the entry level Moto's that is about 5 years old now (120 miles plus per week). I had to upgrade the wheels and the BB. The bike has been great otherwise. Give us an idea about your problem. Maybe somebody can give you some help.

Doctor Morbius said:
I've considered buying a bike from BikesDirect before. However, my intentions were to gut it and put the components on a better frame. :D
Same here....

dhk said:
Not making excuses for the bikesdirect; they should certainly reply to your emails.

Did you read your "lifetime warranty"? Most that I've read from the major brands cover only defects in materials and workmanship, and specifically exclude wearout, fatigue damage, wear and tear, abuse, etc. Don't know what your failure is, but considering you bought a bargain bike over 3 years ago, seems to me they could claim fair wear and tear. Haven't you gotten your moneys worth already?

On a bike this old, it may be tough to get a warranty claim honored by the major LBS brands, let alone an internet discounter selling whatever the chinese factory ships.
I tried to copy the info but it is a jpeg so here is the link to their warranty:

http://www.motobecane.com/warranty001.html

it says if any part on a Moto bike ever fails due to a defect it will be replaced

JS

jrstevens said:
it says if any part on a Moto bike ever fails due to a defect it will be replaced
So now the only point of contention is the definition of a "defect" and whether or not it applies to your situation.

cydewaze said:
So now the only point of contention is the definition of a "defect" and whether or not it applies to your situation.
Well, that's not the *only* point left. Another is whether the BikesDirect bike comes with the original manufacturer's warranty, or their own "Lifetime Warranty" which differs from that of the manufacturer. Products not sold by authorized dealers sometimes do not carry the manufacturer's warranty.

frenchyge said:
Well, that's not the *only* point left. Another is whether the BikesDirect bike comes with the original manufacturer's warranty, or their own "Lifetime Warranty" which differs from that of the manufacturer. Products not sold by authorized dealers sometimes do not carry the manufacturer's warranty.
the moto website says every moto sold in the US is warranted free from manufacturing defects forever

that should answer the question

jrstevens said:
the moto website says every moto sold in the US is warranted free from manufacturing defects forever

when you order from bikesdirect it says: FULL FACTORY WARRANTY

jrstevens said:

Actually, it doesn't cover it at all. Just as I said, that warranty only covers failures due to manufacturing defects, ie, those defects that were in the product when it was produced. Wearout and fatigue are certainly not manufacturing defects, and aren't covered at all by that warranty.

The better (more specific) warranties written by Trek and Cannondale specifically exclude any failures which are caused by wear and tear or fatigue due to normal usage. C'dale is to be applauded, IMO, for being upfront in stating that their excellent CAAD 7 frames aren't designed to last forever, but for a season or two of aggressive riding.

All reputable manufacturers should be clear on these points, but sadly, many manufacturers and retailers like to pretend the bikes they sell have an unconditional lifetime warranty, and that they are obligated to replace them when they wear out, even though their written warranties say nothing of the sort.

Just as a reference, my custom frame came with the usual lifetime warranty on materials and workmanship (ie, manufacturing defects), plus a specific 3-year performance warranty on fatigue. Without a specific fatigue warranty, believe it's wise to assume you have none at all.

dhk said:
Actually, it doesn't cover it at all.
To be fair, his statement answers the additional point that I brought up regarding a difference between distributor warranty vs manufacturer warranty.

Your point stands, however, that if the bike has performed for 3 years, then the covered 'manufacturing defects' probably were not the cause of failure.

Pjkeebler said:

Not sure where you guys are coming from. I've been a retailer for 30 years, If I sell you a Sony or Panasonic TV, and the manufacturer goes belly-up, are you expecting me to take over the warrantee on the product? With VERY few exceptions, retailers don't warrantee products they sell. I take it as my job to sell you the right product at a fair price and be there to take care of you with service after the sale. But the warrantee cost? That is- or should be built into the cost of the product sold, and not the margin of the retailer.

I have a Moto and thier website states that bikesdirect.com is an authorized service dealer. I have had no problems and hope to never have any. I was fully satisfied with the product I recieved and the transaction. I guess I was lucky. Good luck.

jrstevens said:
when you order from bikesdirect it says: FULL FACTORY WARRANTY

Here is my experience (yet to be resolved)

1) Ordered bike from Bikesdirect
2) Received Invoice from Bikesdirect
3) Bikesdirect billed my credit card
4) Received phone message from Bikesdirect saying they don't have bike in stock but they had a different bike if I wanted and I should respond by email.
5) Emailed request to cancel order and refund money
6) Received email back from bikesdirect from 2nd person asking if I wanted a different bike and they would refund my credit card ASAP
7) Emailed 2nd request to cancel my order and refund money
8) Received email from bikesdirect from 2nd person again asking if I wanted the same different bike (this time they tell me its a different size - 2 cm smaller)
9) Bikesdirect still has not refunded my money to my credit card

Why they charged my credit card when they did not have the bike in stock may be a honest mistake but could be perceived otherwise.

Why they tried to sell me a different bike (and different size) may be an honest effort to make the customer happy but could be perceived as bait & switch.

Why they still have not refunded my money may be from too much work and not enough resources or may be because they refund only once a week but could be perceived differently.

To be continued......

ohiotool said:
Here is my experience (yet to be resolved)

1) Ordered bike from Bikesdirect
2) Received Invoice from Bikesdirect
3) Bikesdirect billed my credit card
4) Received phone message from Bikesdirect saying they don't have bike in stock but they had a different bike if I wanted and I should respond by email.
5) Emailed request to cancel order and refund money
6) Received email back from bikesdirect from 2nd person asking if I wanted a different bike and they would refund my credit card ASAP
7) Emailed 2nd request to cancel my order and refund money
8) Received email from bikesdirect from 2nd person again asking if I wanted the same different bike (this time they tell me its a different size - 2 cm smaller)
9) Bikesdirect still has not refunded my money to my credit card

Why they charged my credit card when they did not have the bike in stock may be a honest mistake but could be perceived otherwise.

Why they tried to sell me a different bike (and different size) may be an honest effort to make the customer happy but could be perceived as bait & switch.

Why they still have not refunded my money may be from too much work and not enough resources or may be because they refund only once a week but could be perceived differently.

To be continued......
Credit card finally refunded 5 days after it was billed for a non-existent bike. Thanks, bikesdirect.

man there are a couple of issues here.
First, in regards to the original complaint, what exactly was nonresponsive? second, did you pay with credit card? third, if it is a manufacturer's defect, then go through moto rather than the dealer. if the dealer were responsive, then the dealer would be sending it to the manufacturer anyways. why not just cut the middle man out and go directly. normally, manufacturer warranty means you need to send it to the manufacturer. In fact, bikesdirect specifies you go to the manufacturer's website re: warranty information. this would indicate that you have to go directly through the manufacturer, not bikesdirect, for any defect issues.

bikesdirect.com does have 100% satisfaction guarantee, but so long as the bike is in new condition. this is rather absurd and really means there is NO 100% satisfaction guarantee. they also allude to the possibility of a restocking fee, which they did not specify how much.
as far as charging your card before delivery. many states have very specific laws stipulating that charge card can only be charged upon delivery of the item. if there is any issues concerning this, then you should report them to the state attorney general's office or consumer advocacy department. you could also contact your credit card company to block the charge. at least you got your money credited to your account. 5 days isn't that long, but i agree that it shouldn't have been charged in the first place. was it actually charged, or were the funds authorized for charge? there is a difference.

Cycling Forum readers-

Please note that this post is from 2003

We have no record of a customer with the last name Keebler every buying a bike from us.

He is not responding to any questions

He only has ONE post

The second post is coincidentally from a competing company
who conveniently bashes us backhandedly and then conveniently lists his 800 number and his website address. Seems suspicious and perhaps illegal.

We are an authorized dealer for all the bikes we sell
We have a 30 day return policy www.bikesdirect.com/money.htm

We have bikes at 50% off list.

Anne Johnston
bikesdirect

Pjkeebler said: