Birthday and a record broken.!

whuppingboy

Feb 22, 2010
Today is my 40th birthday and i have been cycling for about 2 and a half to 3 years on and off. I cycle the short distance to work every day. I weigh around 14 stone but have a low fat % (big chap) so am better at sprints than climbing/
Fortunately for me there are no hills on one route and so i hammered it this morning, broke my record and arrived at work 15mins dead on with an average speed of 21.6 mph just over six miles The average may be out cause i cannot remember if i reset before start, (old age getting to my memory LOL).
Is this a good pace for a dinosaur like me at my weight?
Or is it just a flight of fantasy beleiving i could get good at this lark?

Whupp

It's all relative depending a lot of factor. Is it good for Cancellara? No, but I think it is a respectable speed.

Sounds good to me./img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

I just did 9.78 miles in the rain 18.4 average and 50+ years of age. I cant remember the last time I finished any ride with over a 20 MPH average. Must be my memory it cant be my fitness. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/rolleyes.gif

I would say that's pretty darn good whupp! I too broke my record riding to work this morning, relatively flat at the beginning with 3 steep hills just before I get to work (and only 1 ride down one of the hills). 15 mins, 37 seconds where my previous record was 16 mins and 17 secs. Avg of 17 mph. I'm 21 years old @ 165 lbs, average/low fit, so I imagine you could probably drop me if you wanted to!

You flatter me, my mates rip me all the time for being 'large' and on the hills they whupp my ass. (but i'm working on that!) BUT last year we did a mini TT and i beat the rest of the guys HA HA.
This year we have all been looking forward to doing the same race and they are already asking me about retaining my crown..
I'm gonna whup them again!!!!!
(They don't know that yet)...
We'll see...
Thanks again.

Good luck in the upcoming TT. 21.6MPH on a six mile commute is very respectable.