Blackburn TPS-2 floor pump problem

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes

Guest
Hello,

I got a Blackburn TPS-2 floor pump with dual head. When trying pump up a
tire with a racing valve, it does not work. The air come out from the other
hole.
I cannot find any switches or other moveable part that block the hole that
is not in use.

Any hints?

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/

> Hello,
>
> I got a Blackburn TPS-2 floor pump with dual head. When trying pump up a
> tire with a racing valve, it does not work. The air come out from the other
> hole.
> I cannot find any switches or other moveable part that block the hole that
> is not in use.
>
> Any hints?

You shouldn't have to block the hole, mine works justs fine normally -
sounds like you might have a broken unit and should take it back to
the shop. The only slightly unusual thing about that pump is that the
'gripped' posistion on the lever is 90degs off from every other pump
I've seen, i.e. you pull the lever out in line with the valve, fix it
to the valve, and then close it in line with the air hose to pump.
Have you tried it with a couple of tubes? Maybe the air is racing out
of a hole in the tube near the valve...?

HTH,

Duncan

Duncan Smith wrote:

>> Hello,
>>
>> I got a Blackburn TPS-2 floor pump with dual head. When trying pump up a
>> tire with a racing valve, it does not work. The air come out from the
>> other hole.
>> I cannot find any switches or other moveable part that block the hole
>> that is not in use.
>>
>> Any hints?
>>

> You shouldn't have to block the hole, mine works justs fine normally -
> sounds like you might have a broken unit and should take it back to
> the shop. The only slightly unusual thing about that pump is that the
> 'gripped' posistion on the lever is 90degs off from every other pump
> I've seen, i.e. you pull the lever out in line with the valve, fix it
> to the valve, and then close it in line with the air hose to pump.
> Have you tried it with a couple of tubes? Maybe the air is racing out
> of a hole in the tube near the valve...?

I can insert the racing valve (presta? if I remember correctly) into the
pump head when the level is position right out from the pump head. I then
move the level 90 deg and try to pump and the are comes out from the other
hole.

I have tried with different tubes and with the level in both position - same
****.

Seems like I have a broken unit. So I have to ride back to the shop for the
4th time... :-(
(not due to this pump but to change parts that is not working)

Thanks for your reply.

--
Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:32:27 +0100, Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I got a Blackburn TPS-2 floor pump with dual head. When trying pump up a
>tire with a racing valve, it does not work. The air come out from the other
>hole.
>I cannot find any switches or other moveable part that block the hole that
>is not in use.
>
>Any hints?

Dear Jørn,

Dual pump heads will randomly use the wrong hole.

Putting a finger over the open hole seems like the sensible thing to
do, but it's actually guaranteed not to work.

The pump head's internal valve is delicate enough that it can switch
randomly from one hole to the other when you wave it around or bang
it.

So it may be set to use the wrong hole when you attach it to your
tire.

The dual pump head automatically switches to the hole that provides
resistance, so putting a finger over the open hole just forces the
pump to keep using the wrong hole.

If the pump head is randomly set to the open hole when you try to use
it on your tire, your uninflated tube may not provide enough back
pressure to cause the pump head to switch over to the right hole.

So you have to block the hole that you want to use, not the one that
the air is coming out of.

Put your finger over the Presta/racing valve hole and push on the pump
_before_ you attach the pump head to the tire. You'll feel the
pressure when the pump head switches over.

If air comes out of the wrong hole when the pump is attached, you can
push hard on the tire to mash the tube against the base of the tire
valve. That will provide the back pressure that makes the pump head
switch to the right hole.

Or you can rap the side of the pump head with any handy tool--this
just jars the little ball valve in the pump head enough to shift
things to the other hole.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

"Jørn Dahl-Stamnes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hello,
>
> I got a Blackburn TPS-2 floor pump with dual head. When trying pump up a
> tire with a racing valve, it does not work. The air come out from the
> other
> hole.
> I cannot find any switches or other moveable part that block the hole that
> is not in use.
>
> Any hints?
>
> --
> Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
> http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/

I find that putting a little air in the tube by mouth can help. Sometimes
tubes with no air in they don't provide enough resistance to let the head
know which hole has the valve in it. With Presta tubes just loosen the nut
on the valve, depress in once to make sure it is not sticking, and blow a
little air into it. I do this for on the road repairs all the time as it
gives the tube a little shape easing installation.

Tim McTeague

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:32:27 +0100, Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >I got a Blackburn TPS-2 floor pump with dual head. When trying pump up a
> >tire with a racing valve, it does not work. The air come out from the other
> >hole.
> >I cannot find any switches or other moveable part that block the hole that
> >is not in use.
> >
> >Any hints?

> Dear Jørn,
>
> Dual pump heads will randomly use the wrong hole.
>
> Putting a finger over the open hole seems like the sensible thing to
> do, but it's actually guaranteed not to work.
>
> The pump head's internal valve is delicate enough that it can switch
> randomly from one hole to the other when you wave it around or bang
> it.
>
> So it may be set to use the wrong hole when you attach it to your
> tire.
>
> The dual pump head automatically switches to the hole that provides
> resistance, so putting a finger over the open hole just forces the
> pump to keep using the wrong hole.
>
> If the pump head is randomly set to the open hole when you try to use
> it on your tire, your uninflated tube may not provide enough back
> pressure to cause the pump head to switch over to the right hole.
>
> So you have to block the hole that you want to use, not the one that
> the air is coming out of.
>
> Put your finger over the Presta/racing valve hole and push on the pump
> _before_ you attach the pump head to the tire. You'll feel the
> pressure when the pump head switches over.
>
> If air comes out of the wrong hole when the pump is attached, you can
> push hard on the tire to mash the tube against the base of the tire
> valve. That will provide the back pressure that makes the pump head
> switch to the right hole.
>
> Or you can rap the side of the pump head with any handy tool--this
> just jars the little ball valve in the pump head enough to shift
> things to the other hole.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

My Beto floor pump has a similar automatic two-hole head, and since I am
inevitably pumping up flat tires with it, I usually end up failing,
remembering the problem, and then I lean over and squeeze the tube
against the bottom of the valve stem, which causes enough resistance
when I pump the pump to get the valve in the right place.

"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.
Not true - I am a talented lawyer." - Sandy in rec.bicycles.racing

[email protected] wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 11:32:27 +0100, Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I got a Blackburn TPS-2 floor pump with dual head. When trying pump up a
>>tire with a racing valve, it does not work. The air come out from the
>>other hole.
>>I cannot find any switches or other moveable part that block the hole that
>>is not in use.
>>
>>Any hints?

> Dear Jørn,
>
> Dual pump heads will randomly use the wrong hole.
>
> Putting a finger over the open hole seems like the sensible thing to
> do, but it's actually guaranteed not to work.
>
> The pump head's internal valve is delicate enough that it can switch
> randomly from one hole to the other when you wave it around or bang
> it.
>
> So it may be set to use the wrong hole when you attach it to your
> tire.
>
> The dual pump head automatically switches to the hole that provides
> resistance, so putting a finger over the open hole just forces the
> pump to keep using the wrong hole.
>
> If the pump head is randomly set to the open hole when you try to use
> it on your tire, your uninflated tube may not provide enough back
> pressure to cause the pump head to switch over to the right hole.
>
> So you have to block the hole that you want to use, not the one that
> the air is coming out of.
>
> Put your finger over the Presta/racing valve hole and push on the pump
> _before_ you attach the pump head to the tire. You'll feel the
> pressure when the pump head switches over.
>
> If air comes out of the wrong hole when the pump is attached, you can
> push hard on the tire to mash the tube against the base of the tire
> valve. That will provide the back pressure that makes the pump head
> switch to the right hole.
>
> Or you can rap the side of the pump head with any handy tool--this
> just jars the little ball valve in the pump head enough to shift
> things to the other hole.

I returned the pump to the shop. They tried it and found out that there must
be something wrong with the pump head. So they change the hose including a
new valve head. The new one is different (better since I can change the
gaskets).

Thanks for the replies.

--

Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:

> I returned the pump to the shop. They tried it and found out that there must
> be something wrong with the pump head. So they change the hose including a
> new valve head. The new one is different (better since I can change the
> gaskets).
>
> Thanks for the replies.

I have a two year old TPS-2 that had a blowout in the hose. The whole
shebang only cost 20 or 30 dollars new and I could only find a hose and
pump head unit online for 13.50, more or less, before shipping. I like
the dual head and would replace it if the price were reasonable. I
Googled and searched Yahoo and was disappointed in what I found, so I
just bought another pump. My shop was not helpful, saying they can't
come out stocking pump parts, so I went somewhere else and bought the
pump. Is there a better source for pump parts?

Blackburn has a technical support line you can call for assistance and
probably can order the parts you need.
I have a 4-year old Blackburn TP-4. They sold those with a lifetime
warranty and I got to use it when the dual-head unit went bad. It's
the kind where you stick the head onto the valve and turn the head 90
degrees to seal. Inside it, there's a rotating plastic cam that
pushes a rubber ring against the side of the head you're not using for
a seal.

catzz66 wrote:
> Jørn Dahl-Stamnes wrote:
>>

>> I returned the pump to the shop. They tried it and found out that
>> there must
>> be something wrong with the pump head. So they change the hose
>> including a
>> new valve head. The new one is different (better since I can change the
>> gaskets).
>>
>> Thanks for the replies.
>>

> I have a two year old TPS-2 that had a blowout in the hose. The whole
> shebang only cost 20 or 30 dollars new and I could only find a hose and
> pump head unit online for 13.50, more or less, before shipping. I like
> the dual head and would replace it if the price were reasonable. I
> Googled and searched Yahoo and was disappointed in what I found, so I
> just bought another pump. My shop was not helpful, saying they can't
> come out stocking pump parts, so I went somewhere else and bought the
> pump. Is there a better source for pump parts?

Go directly to Blackburn, they've always been great in the past.