Bleeding Hayes disk brakes

Kim

Guest
I've followed the instructions for bleeding hayes disk brakes that come
with the Hayes bleed kit, but when I get to the part about pushing
fluid through the system and squeezing the brake levers, the pistons
fall out and fluid goes everywhere. I tried pushing some wooden shims
between the pistons, but then the posts dig into the wood and it's hard
to get the shim out. It seems like there must be a better solution and
it surprises me that Hayes completely ignored this problem in their kit
instructions. Am I missing something? Is there a tool that can be
used to prevent this problem?

Kim wrote:
> I've followed the instructions for bleeding hayes disk brakes that come
> with the Hayes bleed kit, but when I get to the part about pushing
> fluid through the system and squeezing the brake levers, the pistons
> fall out and fluid goes everywhere. I tried pushing some wooden shims
> between the pistons, but then the posts dig into the wood and it's hard
> to get the shim out. It seems like there must be a better solution and
> it surprises me that Hayes completely ignored this problem in their kit
> instructions. Am I missing something? Is there a tool that can be
> used to prevent this problem?

Yikes! It sounds like your bleeding them with one end closed off. Both
ends should be open so the fluid runs through without any bubbles, then
seal them. You've got a big mess on your hands now. Make sure your
clean them with alcohol before putting the pads in.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

"Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've followed the instructions for bleeding hayes disk brakes that come
> with the Hayes bleed kit, but when I get to the part about pushing
> fluid through the system and squeezing the brake levers, the pistons
> fall out and fluid goes everywhere. I tried pushing some wooden shims
> between the pistons, but then the posts dig into the wood and it's hard
> to get the shim out. It seems like there must be a better solution and
> it surprises me that Hayes completely ignored this problem in their kit
> instructions. Am I missing something? Is there a tool that can be
> used to prevent this problem?

"Kim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've followed the instructions for bleeding hayes disk brakes that come
> with the Hayes bleed kit, but when I get to the part about pushing
> fluid through the system and squeezing the brake levers, the pistons
> fall out and fluid goes everywhere. I tried pushing some wooden shims
> between the pistons, but then the posts dig into the wood and it's hard
> to get the shim out. It seems like there must be a better solution and
> it surprises me that Hayes completely ignored this problem in their kit
> instructions. Am I missing something? Is there a tool that can be
> used to prevent this problem?

Yes - it's called a frame, wheels, and brake disk - bleed the bleeding
things while they are mounted on the bike as normal FFS, you dummy...

Shaun aRe

The instructions say to remove the wheel when bleeding the brakes so
that you don't get brake fluid on the brake pads, wheels, etc. (This
makes it so that the calipers can fall out when fluid pressure rises.)
The Hayes instructions also say to keep pressure on the fluid bottle
while pumping the brake levers - this is when the calipers fall out.
Seems like a common problem. I don't understand your lame answer or
your sarcasm...