Bleeding Hayes HFX+ Disc Brakes: Quick pre-op question

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Westie

Just making sure I'm on the right track here before I go and do something that I do or shouldn't
need to (like missing the adjustment screws or something!)

I'm new to bleeding Hayes disc brakes. I have had the factory assembled brakes/bike a couple or
three months now and the lever has gradually gone soft and is pulling back towards the grips. This
needs bleeding, doesn't it? The pads etc. are fine. Is it necessary to buy the Hayes Bleed Kit? I
don't know how much it is but is there a cheaper alternative? TIA
--
Westie

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just making sure I'm on the right track here before I go and do something that I do or shouldn't
> need to (like missing the adjustment screws or something!)
>
> I'm new to bleeding Hayes disc brakes. I have had the factory assembled brakes/bike a couple or
> three months now and the lever has gradually gone soft and is pulling back towards the grips. This
> needs bleeding, doesn't it? The pads etc. are fine. Is it necessary to buy the Hayes Bleed Kit? I
> don't know how much it is
but
> is there a cheaper alternative? TIA
> --
> Westie
>

have you tried adjusting (tightening) the allen screw under the lever. It's a small one and hard to
see. That will move the lever back out.

--
DTW .../\.../\.../\...

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

Westie wrote:
> Just making sure I'm on the right track here before I go and do something that I do or shouldn't
>
> I'm new to bleeding Hayes disc brakes. I have had the factory assembled brakes/bike a couple or
> three months now and the lever has gradually gone soft and is pulling back towards the grips. This
> needs bleeding, doesn't it? The pads etc. are fine. Is it necessary to buy the Hayes Bleed Kit? I
> don't know how much it is but is there a cheaper alternative? TIA

If it's only been 3 months, you better check for a leak or make sure the bleed screws were tight.
Bleeding hydro brakes if really not that hard. Get a hayes kit, it's not that expensive and you can
use it over and over again. Follow the directions that come with it and you'll be back in no time. I
do it every now and then because I like my brakes very tight (I get a nervous feeling about
stopping).

In news:[email protected],
Westie <[email protected]> typed:
>
> don't know how much it is but is there a cheaper alternative? TIA

Bleeding the HFX lever requires a small fitting for the master cylinder drain hose that comes with
the Hayes Bleed Kit. Add to the kit a large syringe that has an IV line connection tip. (The hayes
hose will fit on that.) Also get some rubber exam gloves to protect your skin from the brake fluid.

It may be an internal leak in the hose. The hose is made up of an inner liner, a kevelar sheath and
an outer cover. Sometimes the inner liner will develop a leak into the kevelar sheath. Your lever
will go soft but there will be no leak visible. If you bleed and refill the system and squeeze the
lever hard it will become an external leak! Look for where the hose may be kinked like at a zip tie
to the frame or fork. More than likely it's just a bit of air in the system and bleeding should take
care of it.

Mike

"Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> don't know how much it is
but
> is there a cheaper alternative? TIA
> --
> Westie
>

I had the same thing happen with my Hayes brakes after a couple of months, I spoke to the mechanic
at my local bike shop who showed me there's a small allen bolt behind the level that adjusts it.
According to the mechanic it's quite common for this to work loose on Hayes brakes resulting in what
you've described so you may just need to tighten this bolt.

"M" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> "Westie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Just making sure I'm on the right track here before I go and do
something
> > that I do or shouldn't need to (like missing the adjustment screws or something!)
> >
> > I'm new to bleeding Hayes disc brakes. I have had the factory assembled brakes/bike a couple or
> > three months now and the lever has gradually
gone
> > soft and is pulling back towards the grips. This needs bleeding,
doesn't
> > it? The pads etc. are fine. Is it necessary to buy the Hayes Bleed Kit? I don't know how
> > much it is
> but
> > is there a cheaper alternative? TIA
> > --
> > Westie
> >
>
> I had the same thing happen with my Hayes brakes after a couple of months,
I
> spoke to the mechanic at my local bike shop who showed me there's a small allen bolt behind the
> level that adjusts it. According to the mechanic
it's
> quite common for this to work loose on Hayes brakes resulting in what
you've
> described so you may just need to tighten this bolt.
>
>

Thanks everyone. I've found the allen bolt behind the lever and adjusted that. It was loctite'd and
had not moved but I gave it a turn for good luck. Easy to pass over if you didn't know that it was
there. I have also adjusted the placement of the whole unit on the handle bars by about 4mm. The
lever was getting to the point where it would touch the trigger and change gear for me as I braked!

The issue is now resolved as far as i am concerned; although I don't believe that it is quite as
tight as it was when the bike was new. Perhaps there is a small amount of bedding in?

Thanks for the help everyone. I'll order the bleed kit next time I'm at the LBS anyway as it sounds
like I'll need it at some stage.
--
Westie

Status
Not open for further replies.