Body for Life ????

Denver C. Fox

Guest
Our rec center is sponsoring a 12 week course emphasizing the "Body for Life Challenge" and the use
of a personal trainer (no more than two persons per trainer) for a minimum of a 4 week period along
with various group meetings, measurement of the body fat and size. You must meet with your trainer 3
times per week first 4 weeks, then optionally throughout the rest of the 12 weeks, with a group
meeting at the end.

Our situation:

My wife (65 yo) and I (63 yo) both walk at least 2 miles per day winter and summer, no matter what
the weather, excpet on those days when we can get a significant (10+ miles or more) bike ride in.

Generally, I bike more than she does, and I can do 30 mile rides. She can also, but we just don't
have the time nor opportunity, especially considering our work sechdules and winter weateher. In the
past, I have done centuries and Ride the Rickies kinds of things.

However, I have been chagrined this last winter because of a sharp drop in aerobic fitness this
spring. A major contributor has been the lousy weather, and I havbe managed to gain some weight. My
commute and intense work load have contributed to all of this, also.

My wife also needs to lose some weight. Probably she need to lose 20 pounds, and I need to lose 30.

I also consistently weight lift, doing so approximately 2 times per week, and lift in the
neighborhood of 205-225 pounds in the bench press, squats of 225 pounds, 8 full body weight
dips, etc.

I have tried a bike trainer in the winter, and the only thing I can say is "yuk," even using the
spinergy tapes.

The brochure for the course states:

"20 minutes of aerobic activity 3 times per week" - we are already far beyond that in our
aerobic activity.

"Weight training 3 times per week with a trainer." I suspect that I am far ahead in weight training
of their "average" customer.

My wife has tried weight training bu feels lost. We have a complete gym in the basement with free
weights, etc.

So, my goals (and her goals) are:

1. Weight loss, including a change in eating habits.

2. I would like more suppleness, stretching, about which I am clueless. I ffel my body
tightening up as I grow older, have tried stretching, and just don't seem to get the message
about how to do it.

3. My wife wants to do weight lifting, but feels the need for a more competent instructor for her
than I am (and also not to take lessons from her husband).

So, my concerns:

4. I don't want some BIMBO instructor (trainer) who hasn't a clue about life or the stresses that
we (as parents of two children who are profoundly handicapped) have been through and how those
stresses have affected our lives and attitudes.

5. I feel that I am already in pretty good shape regarding musculature and in fair shape regarding
aerobic activities. I feel that I am beyond a "beginner's" course.

6. I do know we both need to have a change in eating habits - something that neither of us has been
able to pull off permanently, despite our best efforts.

The cost of the course is $199 each with a partner and $299 without a partner. The money
(fortunately) is of no concern. We can walk or bike to the rec center - just 1.5 miles away.

So, I would like the thoughts of folks out there who might have experienced or know about "Body
for Life".

Thanks.

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns (Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox (Family Web Page)

"Denver C. Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in >
> So, I would like the thoughts of folks out there who might have
experienced or
> know about "Body for Life".

Denver--

I'm currently in my first month of BFL. I don't think you need to pay for anything to do
it. It's pretty simple, especially for someone as experienced with both strength training
and cardio as you are. I've lifted weights for a few years, and the BFL workouts are
pretty tough. They consist of three weight sessions/week---upper body/lower body/upper
body one week, then the opposite the next. The program is based around doing sets of
12,10,8,6, then 12 reps, increasing in weight with the first four, then doing the last set
with the weight you used for 8 reps. The book is very good about explaining HOW to work
out, but he does go on a bit about "intensity levels", which is kind of vague. The
workouts are very taxing, though(at least for me). The cardio is also based on "intensity
levels"---basically intervals. It's broken down into 4 five minute periods---with a 9
level intensity at the 6th, 10th, 14th, and 18th minute, and a "10 level"(all out, I
guess) effort at the 19th minute, then a 5 level cooldown for the 20th minute. That's
probably not a very good explanation, but you should be able to find more at
www.bodyforlife.com. There's also a pretty detailed diet plan involved. It's just a basic
bodybuilder type diet--6 small meals/day. The plan emphasizes the use of Myoplex(meal
replacement powder),which is actually pretty handy for getting a meal in at work. You
don't HAVE to use it, though. Good luck! I don't think you need to fork out the bucks for
a trainer---I've seen you posting here and on MFW for a long time now. You know what
you're doing. Buy the BFL book and get to work!

Mike

Thanks for the responses.

I think we are going to try it. I posted on several boards, and got a mixture of fairly favorable

But, I think we are both convinced that the one thing we need help with is the weight loss thing,
and that my wife needs help with the weight lifting aspect. Also, I am sure that I will learn new
things also.

http://members.aol.com/foxcondorsrvtns (Colorado rental condo)

http://members.aol.com/dnvrfox (Family Web Page)

>My wife also needs to lose some weight. Probably she need to lose 20 pounds, and I need to lose 30.

>I have tried a bike trainer in the winter, and the only thing I can say is "yuk," even using the
>spinergy tapes.

My wife lost about 25 lbs. by changing her eating habits and riding her bike on a trainer between 30
and 40 minutes 4 to 5 days a week.

We have the trainer setup in the back room with a couple of big fans and she watches DVDs while
she rides.

I think there are lots of ways to loose weight and gain fitness, they all require on thing:
Commitment. Pay somebody $300 and that will help one stay committed.

jon

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote: [...]
: 2) riding to work is time-efficient: since I only took about 15 minutes more each way than taking
: my car, I was able to do a 1-hour workout each day I rode in only 30 minutes. The only way to
: do better is to ride to work at relativistic speeds.

Yah. A co-worker was asking me about such things. He opined that he tried to get to the gym to do
the stationary bike thing but it was hard to find the free time.

My response: 'You get in your car [a single occupant SUV to commute across town yet] drive to work
then drive home only to later drive to a gym to sit on a stationary bike and wonder why you can't
find the time to exercise more?!?!?'

And our workplace does have showers.

Along with the commitment, building the exercise into your lifestyle [like making it your commute]
is probably key to success.

--
'They paved paradise And put up a parking lot' -Joni Mitchell

On 12 May 2003 15:01:33 GMT, Barry Gaudet <[email protected]> wrote:

> Yah. A co-worker was asking me about such things. He opined that he tried to get to the gym to do
> the stationary bike thing but it was hard to find the free time.

"Let us have a moment of silence for all Americans who are now stuck in traffic on their way to a
health club to ride a stationary bicycle."

Congressman Earl Blumenauer (OR)

Kind of says it all, really :)

Guy
===