Bolt on bike lights

bornfree

Guest
I have a bolted-on rear light light for my bike... I can leave it on
the bike over a couple of hours without worrying about it being
stolen.

Do you know of something the same for my front?

"bornfree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>I have a bolted-on rear light light for my bike... I can leave it on
> the bike over a couple of hours without worrying about it being
> stolen.
>
> Do you know of something the same for my front?

A dynamo powered front light?

In article <f94b699e-a0b6-4cd8-85c4-191687f19a85
@s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, bornfree
[email protected] says...
> I have a bolted-on rear light light for my bike... I can leave it on
> the bike over a couple of hours without worrying about it being
> stolen.
>
> Do you know of something the same for my front?

In the past I've put a self-tapping screw through the base of a light
and into the bracket to stop it from shaking loose - with many lights
that would also stop casual theft.

On 9 Feb, 17:30, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "bornfree" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >I have a bolted-on rear light light for my bike... I can leave it on
> > the bike over a couple of hours without worrying about it being
> > stolen.

> > Do you know of something the same for my front?

> A dynamo powered front light?

Recommend a product / brand ? It should be discreet and good value.

On Feb 9, 9:45 pm, bornfree <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 9 Feb, 17:30, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "bornfree" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> > >I have a bolted-on rear light light for my bike... I can leave it on
> > > the bike over a couple of hours without worrying about it being
> > > stolen.

> > > Do you know of something the same for my front?

> > A dynamo powered front light?

> Recommend a product / brand ? It should be discreet and good value.

I have a dynamo powered Solidlight <http://www.solidlights.co.uk/>
mounted on the fork crown and have often left the bike parked with it.
I seem to have got away with it so far but it's by no means thief
proof. It's an excellent light too, though not cheap.

--
Dave...

"dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Feb 9, 9:45 pm, bornfree <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On 9 Feb, 17:30, "vernon" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> > "bornfree" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>> > A dynamo powered front light?

>> Recommend a product / brand ? It should be discreet and good value.

> I have a dynamo powered Solidlight <http://www.solidlights.co.uk/>
> mounted on the fork crown and have often left the bike parked with it.
> I seem to have got away with it so far but it's by no means thief
> proof. It's an excellent light too, though not cheap.

Be interesting to see how it compares with the B+M IQ fly, which is a
stunning light, and about 1/3 the price. I suspect the B+M light has a more
modern (ie more efficient lumens/watt) LED, better optics, and the benefits
of economy of scale for it, whereas the solidlight has slightly more cunning
electronics. Whether the increased input power of the solidlight (where the
cunning electronics win) makes up for the losses elsewhere would be
interesting.

The B+M is a more conventionally mounted dynamo light, ie bolted on - and
they've got a better mount than the topal experiments of a couple of years
ago.

Mounted on the fork crown I suspect would count as discreet.

cheers,
clive

On 9 Feb, 19:00, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <f94b699e-a0b6-4cd8-85c4-191687f19a85
> @s13g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, bornfree
> [email protected] says...> I have a bolted-on rear light light for my bike... I can leave it on
> > the bike over a couple of hours without worrying about it being
> > stolen.

> > Do you know of something the same for my front?

> In the past I've put a self-tapping screw through the base of a light
> and into the bracket to stop it from shaking loose -

In combination with what light?

On 10 Feb, 03:52, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "dkahn400" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> >> Recommend a product / brand ? It should be discreet and good value.

> > I have a dynamo powered Solidlight <http://www.solidlights.co.uk/>
> > mounted on the fork crown and have often left the bike parked with it.
> > I seem to have got away with it so far but it's by no means thief
> > proof. It's an excellent light too, though not cheap.

> Be interesting to see how it compares with the B+M IQ fly, which is a
> stunning light, and about 1/3 the price. I suspect the B+M light has a more
> modern (ie more efficient lumens/watt) LED, better optics, and the benefits
> of economy of scale for it, whereas the solidlight has slightly more cunning
> electronics. Whether the increased input power of the solidlight (where the
> cunning electronics win) makes up for the losses elsewhere would be
> interesting.
>
> The B+M is a more conventionally mounted dynamo light, ie bolted on - and
> they've got a better mount than the topal experiments of a couple of years
> ago.
>
> Mounted on the fork crown I suspect would count as discreet.

Mounted on a what-what?

Does a dynamo not slow you down?

>> Mounted on the fork crown I suspect would count as discreet.
>>

> Mounted on a what-what?

Fork crown. Front fork, the crown is the top of the bit with the legs -
where the brakes are. Most (road bike) forks have a hole through there to
mount mudguards/caliper brakes, and you mount the light on that bolt.

> Does a dynamo not slow you down?

Yes, but IME not noticably for a hub dynamo - they really are that good.

cheers,
clive

"bornfree" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On 10 Feb, 03:52, "Clive George" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> Does a dynamo not slow you down?

I'm a convert to the use of a dynamo and it isn't that noticeable. Mind you
I'm using a bottom bracket mounted dynamo that I had given. A hub dynamo
offers less rolling resistance.

In article <8f59e127-fd62-4864-9a38-c33227d9cb63
@l16g2000hsh.googlegroups.com>, bornfree
[email protected] says...
> On 9 Feb, 19:00, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:

> > In the past I've put a self-tapping screw through the base of a light
> > and into the bracket to stop it from shaking loose -

> In combination with what light?

Halfords Krypton or something similar.