Bolt stuck in water bottle mount

azul_fahrrad

Jul 11, 2007
I have an aluminum frame bike, the bolt for one of the water bottle mounts will not come out. There is a threaded ring set in the seat tube of the frame. When I turn the bolt in either direction, the ring turns with it. I have not found a way to grip the ring without risiking damage to the frame.

Has anyone else ever seen this situation and if so have you found a solution?

azul_fahrrad said:
I have an aluminum frame bike, the bolt for one of the water bottle mounts will not come out. There is a threaded ring set in the seat tube of the frame. When I turn the bolt in either direction, the ring turns with it. I have not found a way to grip the ring without risiking damage to the frame.

Has anyone else ever seen this situation and if so have you found a solution?
Try this (no guarantees, of course) ...
Take a SMALL, flat-bladed screwdriver (heck, even a pocket knife) ...
And, wedge the blade between the lip of the threaded bushing & the frame ...
Hopefully, you will be able to loosen-and-remove the bolt ...
Reset the bushing with some JB WELD (or, other "grey" epoxy if that's what you already have on hand).

Yes hopefully....

If that doesn't work,

If you take it to a bike shop, they will use pliers to hold the boss and unscrew the bolt, then they will drill out the old boss (usually destroyed in the process) and use a fancy type of rivet gun to put a new boss in (securely).

Prevention is better than cure, however, and in this case you can use some grease (thick stuff) on all metal/metal threads. It will help prevent seizing, which is a major cause of these sorts of issues.