Boonen rides the Tour

tonyzackery said:
Come into the "real world", my friend.

As long as human beings, with their accompanying frailties, are administering "justice" all the subjective negatives you can conjure will abound. Until such time as robots are made guardians of "the law", never will it be as orthodox as you apparently wish...

Oh yeah, I apologize if you hurt one of your feelings with my previous response. Unintentional, of course...

Boonen riding the tour is a good case in point.

1) He hasn't broken any UCI laws (coke only a PED during the race season - Tom was tested out of season). So he should ride the TdF.
2) ASO has a rule that allows them to deny a start to anyone who has tainted the image of cycling (as quoted previously). So he shouldn't ride the tour.

So which is it? Both organisations have laws - one suggests he should ride - one not. So does he ride?

Eldron said:
2) ASO has a rule that allows them to deny a start to anyone who has tainted the image of cycling (as quoted previously).
where was that quoted ?

lucybears said:
where was that quoted ?

Ooops - I made a stuff up - I read your post as the ASO saying it was their rule to disallow athletes due to "poor image" - after a reread its the UCI rules...

DOH!

It does make it more interesting though - UCI say Tom's OK by the UCI rule book - ASO says Tommy aint welcome because of the UCI rule book...

Ah gotta love "rules".

Valverde latest even more interesting

http://www.elperiodico.com/default.asp?idpublicacio_PK=46&idioma=CAS&idnoticia_PK=623544&idseccio_PK=1011&h=

googled

Those responsible for the Tour is trying to find a way to unblock the situation of Alejandro Valverde, ranking number one in the cycling world, so that it can compete in the next round of the French, which begins on July 4 in Monaco.
The rider from Murcia has been suspended as a precautionary measure by the Italian National Olympic Committee (CONI) that it has, contrary to the terms of the time by the Spanish and international sports authorities, the port operation and prevents it from competing for two years in Italy. The 16th stage of the Tour 2009 through the valley of Aosta, and then all the controversy that has occurred.
The Caisse d'Epargne, with support from the leadership of the French savings bank which sponsors the team, is now much more optimistic and still maintains his leader in all that take part in the test. The ASO company, responsible for the race, as the Caisse d'Epargne are awaiting a ruling from Pat McQuaid, president of the International Cycling Union (UCI), which calls into question the legal arguments Italian It would be enough to give you back twice winner of the Dauphiné Libéré.

INTERNATIONAL CAMPAIGN / McQuaid, in 2007, was the architect of an international campaign that questioned Valverde, and which led to the broker, defended by the Spanish Cycling Federation and supported by the Consejo Superior de Deportes (CSD) go and won in the TAS (Court of Arbitration for Sport) The lawsuit against UCI. In fact, Valverde was the only scapegoat in a clash at that time maintained the UCI and the CSD against Spanish federation.
But now the situation has totally changed. McQuaid is an ally of the new board of the Spanish federation and the UCI has made peace with the full Tour, Patrice Clerc after he left the presidency of the company that hosts the race last year.
Moreover, the ruling of the CONI against Valverde offers various interpretations on the explicit prohibition to compete in Italy. The rider is not allowed to take part in competitions organized by Italian federations or clubs. However, this is not the case in the Tour, which is managed by a French entity (ASO) and not Italian.

Eldron said:
Armstrong. Fixation.

@meek one. When I said legally I meant according to UCI rules. Coke is only banned during the racing season - apparently out of season is a cokefest?!
wwwwwwwwww

Boonen Can Start In The Tour | Cyclingnews.com

I've been "done" with pro cycling for some time now, but this is another nail in the coffin as far as I'm concerned.

"If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything." Some smart person said that (don't feel like googling it right now), and it definitely rings true with me. Cokeheads in the tour; what next - heroin?

Boonen recreational use of drugs is more a personal problem, rather than a performance enhancing one.

In fact cocaine use is positively deterimental to sporting performances

True enough - I guess. I've never used coke to try and enhance performance. Maybe it works as a PED for him though. Furthermore, for example sake - beating your wife could be considered a "personal problem" too. Do you allow multiple time wife-beaters to start the tour? Oh, being a cokehead is more acceptable than being a wife-beater I suppose...