Boy, are you gonna hate this.

[email protected] (Peter Krynicki) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
[...]
> > I visited his house that he had in Key West many years ago and it was very interesting to say
> > the least. There were dozens of cats all over the place. That was fine with me as I like cats
> > too. But I could see that he was always striving for a certain ambiance to his life, and it
> > always struck me as being a bit phony. After all, he was just a kid from Michigan.
>
> From the very get-go, people had similar opinions to ours; they liked him very much or didn't see
> what all the fuss was about. I don't single-mindedly defend him, but he has to be one of the most
> mis-understood people ever. He was pretty much of a stinker to all of his wives and many of his
> friends. But throughout much of his life he was about as a non-phony as you could he. He simply
> didn't care what people thought of him, so he didn't do things so as to elicit a public response.
> He *did* care what people thought of his writing, at least to the extent that they took the time
> to understand it. All five of the biographers make the point that, in spite of the amount of
> notoriety he achieved, he was a very private individual whose greatest pleasure was reading. BTW,
> one of the surviving Hemingway cousins says there were no cats in the Key West house when he
> lived there.

I go along with everything you say about Hemingway above, but I would like to point out that
Hemingway could never live any place that did not have lots of ambiance (Romance) attached to it. He
liked Paris, Africa, Key West, Havana, Ketchum. He did not like his Michigan home once he left it
and he did not like southern Minnesota or any other place that was not Romantic. He pursued the
Romantic and exotic all his life. That is what I wanted too when I was kid, but like most everyone
else in the world I outgrew it. Hemingway never did. That is what I meant by phony.

I think all those cats in his house in Key West must have been due to one of his wives. They were
really big and fat cats!

> > His last years were very sad. He came to the Mayo Clinic here in Rochester, Minnesota to be
> > treated for his paranoia, and they completely dropped the ball on him. He ended up living in
> > Ketchum (near Sun Valley), Idaho. He never liked the Midwest from what I could gather once he
> > left it as a young man. He thought southern Minnesota (where the Mayo Clinic is located) was a
> > horrible place. There is a very nice memorial to him outside of Ketchum which can really bring a
> > tear to the eye for anyone who has ever read Ernest Hemingway.

> Don't get me started :cool: When he died one of his matador friends, before he began a bullfight,
> asked for a moment of silence. 200,000 were still for a few minutes in the arena. The owner of the
> Botin café in Madrid set a place for one for the next week - for Don Ernesto. The Cubans declared
> a national day of morning and people were seen to be crying in the streets when the news got out.
> A fan wrote years later that he heard the news while living in Paris. He decided to visit one of
> the cafés made famous by Hemingway and have a drink. Then he went to another then another, then he
> noticed that he was seeing the same people at each place. Dozens of people had decided that the
> best way to commemorate his death, his life, really, was to go to Le Dome to Les Deux Magots to Le
> Select to Lipps to Harry's Bar, etc. and have a drink.

Thanks Peter for the very nice remembrance of Hemingway. My brother went to Paris on a vacation a
few years back and visited those Hemingway haunts and they are still places of pilgrimage to this
very day. Amazing! He had a few drinks there in commemoration of Hemingway too.

I don't think Hemingway ever made it into an old age. I am now older than he ever got as I think he
died in his early 60's. I think a lot of his problem toward the end is that he simply couldn't face
the prospect of growing old. Women were always very important to him and when that aspect of his
life was gone he didn't really want to live anymore. Like I said, a very sad end. [...]

> > Writers like Hemingway will have their ups and downs in the English classrooms of academe. But
> > he surely was a great influence, and mostly for the good. However, what has really happened in
> > the past generation or two is that no one reads novels anymore. It is becoming a dead and lost
> > art. I myself haven't read a novel in over 40 years. Gore Vidal says the novel is as dead as a
> > door nail. I think he might be right about this. Novels of course are mainly read by the young
> > who can identify with the protagonists, but do young people read novels anymore?
> >
>
> I read one a week and the NY Times fiction best seller list seems to be filled with them. Try
> "Easter Day, 1941."

According to Gore Vidal, you are the last of a dying generation. You can't judge the country by what
is happening in New York though. That is the mecca of literary culture in this country. I think the
Jews have a lot to do with that as they love to read books and go to concerts, etc. In fact, it is
the Jews that make New York the cosmopolitan city that it is. That is what they used to say about
Vienna a hundred years ago too, and it was probably true.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Still on topic, it appears that a recent ruling by the State Supreme Court has added Missouri to the
list of "shall issue" states.

See:

http://volokh.com/2004_02_22_volokh_archive.html#107782481048502166

--
--Scott
"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Freewheeling" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
>
> > Cletus:
> >
> > Sorry to see that happen, but my original post and the topic of the
thread
> > were "on topic" and most of my replies have been as well. Moreover,
> > virtually everythinng I said has been contained in this one thread. I
> > gather you don't like the topic of concealed carry on bikes, but don't
claim
> > you're killfiling me because I'm off topic, especially when it ought to
be
> > fairly easy to kill the thread instead.
>
> Yes, your thread topic was on topic, but Cletus no doubt didn't like
> the subject of it and so as far as he was concerned it was off topic.
> What a sorehead he must be. I sure am glad that I don't know him and
> never will. But I have that feeling about most folks.
>
> I must admit that once I get involved in a thread it is sure to wander
> off topic because I have a knack for saying interesting things in an
> interesting way. But usually that does not happen until most everyone
> has had their say on the topic anyway, and so what I bring to the
> table is the desert. It is really too bad that some folks here on ARBR
> have such terrible hang ups about off topic when it could contribute
> so much to their delight and edification.
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

[email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Thanks Peter for the very nice remembrance of Hemingway. My brother went to Paris on a vacation a
> few years back and visited those Hemingway haunts and they are still places of pilgrimage to this
> very day. Amazing! He had a few drinks there in commemoration of Hemingway too.
>
> I don't think Hemingway ever made it into an old age. I am now older than he ever got as I think
> he died in his early 60's. I think a lot of his problem toward the end is that he simply couldn't
> face the prospect of growing old. Women were always very important to him and when that aspect of
> his life was gone he didn't really want to live anymore. Like I said, a very sad end. [...]
>

I finally made it to Paris last October and walked everywhere and saw as many of the well-known
tourist sites as possible in 7 days; the Eiffel Tower, Ile de Cite, Notre Dame, etc. And took the
boat ride up and down the Seine - the Batteaux Mouches. But the thing I liked most was simply
walking along the Seine and over the various ponts over the river, and sitting up to all hours
seeing how long I could make a drink last (Pastis - mon prefere) while reading - A Moveable Feast
of course. And visiting all of those cafes that the ex-pats made famous. I'll go back next year.
Spain someday.

And (don't get me started, again) I went to Key West in about '93 and liked it so much that I've
been back almost each year since then. And I don't usually travel well. But starting from New
Jersey at about
8:00 AM, I can be by the pool by 1:30 with an Hatuay Beer (Hemingway's fav).

Thanks Pjk

[email protected] (Peter Krynicki) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... [...]

> I finally made it to Paris last October and walked everywhere and saw as many of the well-known
> tourist sites as possible in 7 days; the Eiffel Tower, Ile de Cite, Notre Dame, etc. And took the
> boat ride up and down the Seine - the Batteaux Mouches. But the thing I liked most was simply
> walking along the Seine and over the various ponts over the river, and sitting up to all hours
> seeing how long I could make a drink last (Pastis - mon prefere) while reading - A Moveable Feast
> of course. And visiting all of those cafes that the ex-pats made famous. I'll go back next year.
> Spain someday.

Peter, here is a note I got from my brother which I think you might enjoy.

"The Hemingway comments from all were very interesting. He bought the shotgun he used to kill
himself with in a store in downtown Rochester before he went back to Ketchum. It was a very
expensive gun. Everyone knew what he was going to do with it as he told anyone who asked.

The best Hemingway bar and the most famous is Harry's in Venice. It was there he used to drink
martinis because Harry's is where they say they invented them. Bridget Bardot used to drink there
too. I had four martinis there which was always my limit. They were the best martinis I've ever had.
They were premixed and kept in a freezer until you ordered them."

> And (don't get me started, again) I went to Key West in about '93 and liked it so much that I've
> been back almost each year since then. And I don't usually travel well. But starting from New
> Jersey at about
> 8:00 AM, I can be by the pool by 1:30 with an Hatuay Beer (Hemingway's fav).

There are truths that exist for us when we are 20 and there are different truths that exist for
us when we are 60. Both truths are equally valid and we should never disown the truths of our
youth. Hemingway belonged to my youth and I am lucky that I read him then when I could enjoy him
to the utmost. Remembering Hemingway is like remembering who I once was, but am no more. Thanks
for the memories.

Regards,

Ed Dolan - Minnesota