BR: Quick detour to work

"blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Yeah, I was flapping. Legs felt like they were lead. Lungs were pretty
> fine, just had no power in the legs so I ran out of energy quickly.

Isn't that where you drop a gear and spin?

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Yeah, I was flapping. Legs felt like they were lead. Lungs were pretty
>> fine, just had no power in the legs so I ran out of energy quickly.
>>

> Isn't that where you drop a gear and spin?

When by myself, of course. When there's six guys and expectations behind me,
pride takes over and I push very hard. The point of that bit of BR is speed
and (minor&crappy) heroics, not prudence. That bit is one of the main
reasons I come out and climb all the hills leading up to it, so why take it
easy? (oh yeah, the pain etc etc...)
Cheers

flyingdutch said:
Brilliant!!!

them weights could come in handy for argy-bargy drivers too :rolleyes:

seriously tho. bunchride wise the faster guys get real cold standing around and the slower guys feel 'pressured'. Howabout we trial starting over the Warrandyte bridge together, the quicker guys go straightish onto WatsonsCreek and back up to Panton Hill which should take up most of the slack/time that it takes for the slower ones to get there. The extra loop is about 15-20min (anyone noticed?) extra which should allow the 'lantern-rougers' to get to Panton Hill at about the same time.

the fastest guy is getting to KG 7-8 (tops) ahead of the slowest.
Watsons Creek loop should bring the fastest back to the slowest at roughly the same time then. Think of it like an Austral with hills :D (and smaller legs)

So, in summary.
faster ones go Kground and Watsons Creek onto Smiths Gully caf
'lantern-rougers' Kground and straight to SMc

yes/no?
So Dutch are you saying continue on after the warrandyte climb, and cut out the stop at the top?

hippy wrote:
> Shabby wrote:
>
>> I've had the solution to bunches getting split in the hills in my mind
>> for a while:
>> 1. Someone who drives anyway brings scales along with them.
>> 2. Everyone is forced to carry a crumpler or panniers.
>> 3. Start where a house is being built.
>> 4. Before ride starts, riders are weighed with bike, and bricks from
>> the house being built are added to each persons crumpler or panniers
>> until the scales show 100kg (unless the scales are above 100kg already,
>> in which case water bottles are redistributed to the dwarfs and
>> greyhounds.
>>
>> Simple. And the sprinters still get to contest the sprint at the end.
>> Everyone goes home happy.

> I like it! I like it..
> So which one of you lightweights wants to carry my water? :D
>
> hippy

hahahahaha...now you've got an excuse to buy heaps of ultra light bits :)

--
Nick

Gags wrote:
> "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message news:[email protected]...
>
>>TimC Wrote:
>>
>>>On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 at 07:32 GMT, DaveB (aka Bruce)
>>>was almost, but not quite, entirely unlike tea:

>>>The really start (ie, not the steep sections, and even in the shallow
>>>sections we were swapping places quite often - weird)! You beat my up
>>>to the top of the hill, but not by much :)
>>>
>>>--
>>>TimC -- http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/staff/tconnors/
>>>"If geiger counter does not click, the coffee, she is just not thick."
>>>-- Pitr Dubovich, User Friendly

>>and a big welcome to PiledHigher. was that your first BR?
>>or ahd you done another whilst i was chasing herbal remedies? :D
>>
>>Damn BRs are getting over-populated by, eegads, climbers!
>>
>>Suggestions:
>>i think next week we need to delay our ride a tad to allow the full
>>contingent of staff at Smiths Gully cafe to arrive. The poor lone sod
>>doing 11 coffees.
>>and he aint so... 'barista'd' :D
>>and perhaps the front markers could order for all so we dont get so
>>cold next time waiting?
>>--
>>flyingdutch
>>

> There were a few PBs today.....
>
> DaveB took 40 seconds off of his best time up the hill from the roundabout
> at Diamond Creek.
> I cracked 13:58 for the climb out of Warrandyte.
> Blah sculled his latte in about 5 seconds......
>
> If the BR keeps growing at this rate, we will have to ask the cafe to get in
> some more tables and chairs!!
>
> I really noticed the effects of including the "goat track" detour
> again.....I ran out of legs at the front way too soon on the way back from
> St Andrews and then struggled to get back on when Blah and Dutch went past.
> Once I was drafting again I started feeling OK and decided to have another
> crack at the front when Blah was tiring and I promptly felt like **** again
> within about a minute or so. I was madly waving the right elbow and Blah
> came around for another turn at the front (god bless him).....he died in the
> ****....I went around....I died in the ****.....etc. I was actually pretty
> happy when we met up with the "short cutters" again as I was well and truly
> pedalling in squares by then.
>
> Blah......you gotta practice your "taking a turn at the front" technique.
> Note how when I went past you for my turn, I crept in front of you so that
> you were immediately on my wheel?? When you got out of the saddle and flew
> past me, it took me about another 100m or so to make up the 10m or so break
> that you got on me! The main reason for this is probably because nobody
> except you ever has a crack at the front along there so you haven't had to
> do it before, but...I expect to see a vast improvement next time so that my
> lungs can stay on the inside of my body :)
>
> Ride On,
>
> Gags

Isn't the idea that the person on the front moves over and slows until
they get to the back? ie. the second person doesn't actually accelerate
to take up the front position?

I've only ever been in a functioning paceline once. It takes a bit of
practice with people you trust to get it working well.

--
Nick

essendon93 said:
So Dutch are you saying continue on after the warrandyte climb, and cut out the stop at the top?

yah. basically the extra loop acts as a handicap for the quicker ones.
but its only suggestion. maybe we trial it this week and see how it goes and if it sucks we come up with 'plan B' ???

F"currently somewhere between the quicker and the dead"Dutch

flyingdutch said:
yah. basically the extra loop acts as a handicap for the quicker ones.
but its only suggestion. maybe we trial it this week and see how it goes and if it sucks we come up with 'plan B' ???

F"currently somewhere between the quicker and the dead"Dutch
Yeah sounds alright, I'll hang around at the top for a few minutes..I really need that recovery time, and then set off for the second climb.

NickZX6R wrote:

> Isn't the idea that the person on the front moves over and slows until
> they get to the back? ie. the second person doesn't actually accelerate
> to take up the front position?
>
> I've only ever been in a functioning paceline once. It takes a bit of
> practice with people you trust to get it working well.

It's great fun. The guys I ride with on Saturdays practise rolling
through every week. The idea is that there are 2 lines of bikes, one
fast and one about 2km/h slower. When the guy/gal at the front of the
fast line (which should be on the leeward side) gets in front of the
bike at the front of the slow line, they move over and slow down.

Would have loved to have had a couple of guys who understand pacelines
in the breakaway with me 2 weeks ago. Instead we had a clueless luser
who refused to do a turn at the front until we were going downhill...

--
Brett

"essendon93" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
>> F"currently somewhere between the quicker and the dead"Dutch

> Yeah sounds alright, I'll hang around at the top for a few minutes..I
> really need that recovery time, and then set off for the second climb.
> essendon93

Sounds like a good idea, or you do a solo effort everytime we head uphill
(unless Jazmo's along? Is that kind of like two spindly, emaciated
superheroes going at it, or what?). Perhaps you faster guys (used to ME,
dammit!) just judge when you give up waiting this week and then get going.
Might be a reality check for guys like me, who'll probably do the goat trail
anyway and have to either scull the coffee at the caf or go without this
week 'til we sort it properly.

essendon93 wrote:
> Yeah sounds alright, I'll hang around at the top for a few minutes..I
> really need that recovery time, and then set off for the second climb.

lets take a leaf out of Gags' sig and ride on! :)

cheers,
GPL

"Brett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> NickZX6R wrote:
>
> > Isn't the idea that the person on the front moves over and slows until
> > they get to the back? ie. the second person doesn't actually accelerate
> > to take up the front position?
> >
> > I've only ever been in a functioning paceline once. It takes a bit of
> > practice with people you trust to get it working well.
> >

> It's great fun. The guys I ride with on Saturdays practise rolling
> through every week. The idea is that there are 2 lines of bikes, one
> fast and one about 2km/h slower. When the guy/gal at the front of the
> fast line (which should be on the leeward side) gets in front of the
> bike at the front of the slow line, they move over and slow down.
>
> Would have loved to have had a couple of guys who understand pacelines
> in the breakaway with me 2 weeks ago. Instead we had a clueless luser
> who refused to do a turn at the front until we were going downhill...
>
> --
> Brett

Yeah....ideally we would set up a paceline but as mentioned before, the road
is pretty narrow and winding in that section and there are way to many hoons
in commodores to be able to have two lines of riders.

Usually it is just Blah who smashes himself at the front for that whole
section and everyone else just hangs on.....all aboard for the BR train.
This week Blah was feeling a bit off so I had a bit of a crack at the front.
Basically Blah and I just took it in turns to smash ourselves and try to
keep the pace above 40 km/h. Great fun but hurts a bit.

Ride On,

Gags

"Brett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> NickZX6R wrote:
>
>> Isn't the idea that the person on the front moves over and slows until
>> they get to the back? ie. the second person doesn't actually accelerate
>> to take up the front position?
>>
>> I've only ever been in a functioning paceline once. It takes a bit of
>> practice with people you trust to get it working well.
>>

> It's great fun. The guys I ride with on Saturdays practise rolling
> through every week. The idea is that there are 2 lines of bikes, one fast
> and one about 2km/h slower. When the guy/gal at the front of the fast
> line (which should be on the leeward side) gets in front of the bike at
> the front of the slow line, they move over and slow down.

Yeah, as I understand it, that's called the 'ball' . You sort of rotate
around a circle, or elipsoid, one leg (of the elipse, not each rider!) going
fast, the other slow(ish). Apparently not as efficient as the 'line' which
has only the first guy going hard 'til he drops right back to the end and
then gets back in line. Apologies to Hugo Pene(sp?) who explained it in his
book 'a significant other'.

> Would have loved to have had a couple of guys who understand pacelines in
> the breakaway with me 2 weeks ago. Instead we had a clueless luser who
> refused to do a turn at the front until we were going downhill...

Sounds like me on Sunday...

> Shabby wrote:
> > I've had the solution to bunches getting split in the hills in my mind
> > for a while:
> > 1. Someone who drives anyway brings scales along with them.
> > 2. Everyone is forced to carry a crumpler or panniers.
> > 3. Start where a house is being built.
> > 4. Before ride starts, riders are weighed with bike, and bricks from
> > the house being built are added to each persons crumpler or panniers
> > until the scales show 100kg (unless the scales are above 100kg already,
> > in which case water bottles are redistributed to the dwarfs and
> > greyhounds.
> >
> > Simple. And the sprinters still get to contest the sprint at the end.
> > Everyone goes home happy.

> I like it! I like it..
> So which one of you lightweights wants to carry my water? :D
>
> hippy

Needs a slight modification......Weigh the heaviest guy (woulda been me on
Sunday) and bike, bottles, etc.....then bring everyone else up to the same
weight. I am between 99kg and 100kg, add bike at probably about 10kg or so,
two water bottles at approx 2kg and I am at a ballpark figure of about
112kg. Before all the light guys start complaining, just think of how much
faster you will be able to go downhill!!!

Also, I would hazard a guess that I might have the biggest frontal area as
well so we might have to introduce some way of bulking the smaller
guys/girls out.....maybe the weights could be medicine-ball-like bean bags
that can be tucked into the jersey to increase frontal area????

This is gonna rock!!

Gags

NickZX6R wrote:
> [...]

>> flew
>> past me, it took me about another 100m or so to make up the 10m or so
>> break
>> that you got on me! The main reason for this is probably because nobody
>> except you ever has a crack at the front along there so you haven't
>> had to
>> do it before, but...I expect to see a vast improvement next time so
>> that my
>> lungs can stay on the inside of my body :)
>>
>> Ride On,
>>
>> Gags
>>

> Isn't the idea that the person on the front moves over and slows until
> they get to the back? ie. the second person doesn't actually accelerate
> to take up the front position?
>
> I've only ever been in a functioning paceline once. It takes a bit of
> practice with people you trust to get it working well.

That might work on Beach Rd where you can take up a whole lane but not
so feasible on tight country roads with lots of bends and no shoulder.

DaveB

Gags said:
...maybe the weights could be medicine-ball-like bean bags
that can be tucked into the jersey to increase frontal area????

beanbags! finally a good suggestion :D

now, if someone can just bring a gaggia, muffins and nubile bint to serve and we can stop wherever we please :D :D :D

flyingdutch said:
beanbags! finally a good suggestion :D

now, if someone can just bring a gaggia, muffins and nubile bint to serve and we can stop wherever we please :D :D :D

I think we'd have to let the barista off on the weight rule so she can go ahead and let the gaggia warm up before the heavyweights arrive.

Note: Currently I'm a Heavyweight, Cruiserweight when in form. "I'm not fat, I'm a sprinter".

If you're not sure whether you're a heavyweight or not:

Strawweight up to 105 lbs up to 102 lbs (46.36 kilos)

Mini Flyweight - up to 105 lbs (47.627 kilos)

Junior Flyweight 105 to 108 lbs 105 to 108 lbs (48.988 kilos)

Flyweight 108 to 112 lbs 108 to 112 lbs (50.802 kilos)

Super Flyweight/Junior Bantam Weight 112 to 115 lbs 112 to 115 lbs (52.163 kilos)

Bantamweight 115 to 118 lbs 115 to 118 lbs (53.524 kilos)

Super Bantamweight/Junior Featherweight 118 to 122 lbs 118 to 122 lbs (55.338 kilos)

Featherweight 122 to 126 lbs 122 to 126 lbs (57.153 kilos)

Super Featherweight/Junior Lightweight 126 to 130 lbs 126 to 130 lbs (58.967 kilos)

Lightweight 130 to 135 lbs 130 to 135 lbs (61.235 kilos)

Super Lightweight/Junior Welterweight 135 to 140 lbs 135 to 140 lbs (63.503 kilos)

Welterweight 140 to 147 lbs 140 to 147 lbs (66.678 kilos)

Super Welterweight 147 to 154 lbs - (69.853 kilos)

Junior Middleweight - 147 to 154 lbs (69.853 kilos)

Middleweight 154 to 160 lbs 154 to 160 lbs (72.575 kilos)

Super Middleweight 160 to 168 lbs 160 to 168 lbs (76.204 kilos)

Light Heavyweight 168 to 175 lbs 168 to 175 lbs (79.379 kilos)

Cruiserweight 175 to 200 lbs - (90.719 kilos)

Heavyweight over 200 lbs Over 175 lbs -

So that makes me a lightweight I guess, if I put on a couple of kg's I'd be right for Junior Welterweight :)

essendon93 wrote:
> So that makes me a lightweight I guess, if I put on a couple of kg's I'd
> be right for Junior Welterweight :)

Suddenly I feel a whole lot better about you leaving me for dead on the
climbs. Although that's balanced by the depression that I am a light
heavyweight. I'm planning to drop 4 kilos over the next couple of months
(in preparation for that "r" word that cannot be mentioned), maybe I
better aim a little higher.

DaveB

DaveB wrote:

> essendon93 wrote:
> > So that makes me a lightweight I guess, if I put on a couple of kg's I'd
> > be right for Junior Welterweight :)
> >

> Suddenly I feel a whole lot better about you leaving me for dead on the
> climbs. Although that's balanced by the depression that I am a light
> heavyweight. I'm planning to drop 4 kilos over the next couple of months
> (in preparation for that "r" word that cannot be mentioned), maybe I
> better aim a little higher.
>
> DaveB

Which "r" are you aiming for?