Brake caliper pivot nut / shoulder nut question

Spizz

Jul 27, 2009
Greetings all

A question from a first time bike builder that I am sure has a simple answer. ( I just want to be sure I am doing this task correctly) :

I am fitting a Dura Ace BR-7800 caliper to an Easton EC70 carbon fork.

With regards to selecting the correct "pivot nut" / "sunken nut" length, the Shimano documentation states to " use nuts of the appropriate length which can be turned six times or more ".

Question is: (looking at attached pic.), should the surface that the pivot nut contacts the aperture in the fork be at its head (red arrow) or at its end (blue arrow) ? ... or does it not matter ? :confused:

Cheers
Spizz

Spizz said:
Greetings all

A question from a first time bike builder that I am sure has a simple answer. ( I just want to be sure I am doing this task correctly) :

With regards to selecting the correct "pivot nut" / "sunken nut" length, the Shimano documentation states to " use nuts of the appropriate length which can be turned six times or more ".

Question is: (looking at attached pic.), should the surface that the pivot nut contacts the aperture in the fork be at its head (red arrow) or at its end (blue arrow) ? ... or does it not matter ? :confused:

Cheers
Spizz

Blue arrow goes into the fork.

Spizz said:
Greetings all

Cheers
Spizz

The blue end goes first into the hole. As the Shimano blurb says, you should be able to get the nut on the bolt with 6 turns. When torqued appropriately. The red end of the nut should be partially or fully recessed into the rear of the fork.

Thank you for the quick replies.
Yes, definitely the blue end goes first in the hole. (would be impossible to tighten it the other way around!)

To clarify, which end should bottom out first? The flanged part at the head (red), or the end closer to the caliper (blue) ?

Cheers
Spizz

Can't help you
6.gif

The red end has to be bottom first, else the brakes won't remain in position.