broken spokes

bigkev

Sep 23, 2006
i have a giant boulder which i put slicks on and i only ride on the road i was doing about 30km per hr and did not hit any thing and i heard a ting noise then i stoped and 1 spoke was broken and 4 others loose the wheel is still rnging true just a very small bit out where the spoke is broken and loose can anyone help why and is there diferant quality spokes what should i replace them with it seems like spokes are streched .help please thanks the bike has only done 2000km seince new to.

bigkev said:
ican anyone help why and is there diferant quality spokes what should i replace them with
Think of a bicycle wheel as having four components: hub, rim, spokes, and build quality. One could argue that build quality is the most important of these.

Besides being round and true from side-to-side, it's important for all of the spokes to be as close to equal tension as is possible. If they're not, the spokes that have the least amount of tension will load and unload with every revolution and eventually fatigue and break.

You need to have your entire wheel either replaced or rebuilt.

Have a local shop handle it.

DIY:
Read sheldonbrown.com on wheel building.
There is a tool called a tensionometer ($50 or so from park) that might help you.

the lbs said that it has just got cheap and nasty spoker and he has seen it before and i got some better quality ones to put on i am changeing them tomorrow thanks for the help guys

bigkev said:
i have a giant boulder which i put slicks on and i only ride on the road i was doing about 30km per hr and did not hit any thing and i heard a ting noise then i stoped and 1 spoke was broken and 4 others loose the wheel is still rnging true just a very small bit out where the spoke is broken and loose can anyone help why and is there diferant quality spokes what should i replace them with it seems like spokes are streched .help please thanks the bike has only done 2000km seince new to.