Brooks Saddles

Peter Clinch wrote:
> David Damerell wrote:
>
>> Do you perceive a problem with your existing saddle?

> /Obviously/ it isn't New! and Improved! ;-)
>
> Pete.

If it's new then its the first of its kind and therefore not improved.
If it's improved then there was a model before so it's not new.
Therefore nothing can be both new and improved.

Mike

In news:[email protected],
Mike Ellis <[email protected]> tweaked the Babbage-Engine to tell us:
> Peter Clinch wrote:
>> David Damerell wrote:
>>
>>> Do you perceive a problem with your existing saddle?

>> /Obviously/ it isn't New! and Improved! ;-)
>>
>> Pete.

> If it's new then its the first of its kind and therefore not improved.
> If it's improved then there was a model before so it's not new.
> Therefore nothing can be both new and improved.

You've never worked in advertising, have you?

:)

--
Dave Larrington
God was my co-pilot, but we crashed in the mountains and I had

Mike Ellis wrote:

> If it's new then its the first of its kind and therefore not improved.
> If it's improved then there was a model before so it's not new.
> Therefore nothing can be both new and improved.

But... but... *that* would mean that some marketing blurb is /not
strictly 100% on the level!/ Shurely not! ;-/

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

On 2007-01-22 09:58:50 +0000, Peter <[email protected]> said:

> On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 01:24:59 +0000, Andrew_S wrote:
>
>> The width ranking goes Swift < Team Pro < B17 Std
>> (not sure about where a B17 narrow fits in)

> In the '80s I used to get stuff from Whiskers. My girlfriend at the time
> preferred a narrow B17 Std and I'd look through the box at Whiskers to get
> the right one. There's quite a range of width within the same model (or was
> then - automation might have standardised them).
> It's well worth inspecting any leather saddle before buying it. One had
> only half the thickness of leather on one side, so it would have become
> distorted very quickly.

Thanks for all the replies. It was interesting to see just how many are
in favour of Brooks.

In the end I couldn't bring myself to buy the Swift - it was just too
much money. On the other hand my current saddle is pretty knackered and
becoming uncomfortable. I went for the B17 narrow which initially felt
like FAR too much pressure applied to my delicates. I've eased the nose
down and it seems better although this may be an iterative process.

Initial impression is very positive though.
--
Cheers,

Steve

The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

regarding
> If it's new then its the first of its kind and therefore not improved.
> If it's improved then there was a model before so it's not new.
> Therefore nothing can be both new and improved.

Putting on my pedantic hat, yes it can.

Something can be "new" - I think we can take this as self-evident.

and A "new" version of something existing can be produced - shouldn't
need to argue about that either.

The "new" version, might also be an "improvement" hence "new and
improved", or in fact the new version might be inferior "new and
worse", though this possiblity is rarely stressed by marketeers for
some reason. This happens due to cost-cutting, or addition of some
novelty feature which is in fact ****.

You can also get something produced in say 1920, with an improved
version produced in 1922. This can hardly be considered "new" so could
reasonably be said to be "old and improved".

Granted "old and improved" might be considered contrived, but it is a
possible state, and could be more desirable than the latest "new but
worse" model. The one to get might thus be the improved model with
titanium bits, but not the new model made of plastic!

Pedatic hat back on hat-stand

Hywel

On 28 Jan 2007 03:44:07 -0800, "hyweldavies" <[email protected]>
wrote:

[---]

>You can also get something produced in say 1920, with an improved
>version produced in 1922. This can hardly be considered "new" so could
>reasonably be said to be "old and improved".

Well, the B-17 qualifies for that - it was in their catalogue for
1905.