Building a paired spoke wheel?

Dave

Guest
Does anyone have any experience with combining a 24 hole paired spoke
Bontrager rim to a standard 24 hole front hub? Does the even spacing of
the holes on a standard hub allow building it with same length spokes,
or would you run in to a pattern problem?

Thanks, Dave

A Dave asked:

> Does anyone have any experience with combining a 24 hole paired spoke
> Bontrager rim to a standard 24 hole front hub? Does the even spacing of
> the holes on a standard hub allow building it with same length spokes,
> or would you run in to a pattern problem?

I've built several 24 spoke front wheels for my own bikes, using 36 hole
hubs. Simplest is to use a radial pattern. Due to the mismatch, the
spokes will not be _perfectly_ radial, but I've never had any trouble
with this in practice.

Sheldon "Twenty Four" Brown
| And you are right, and I am right |
| and everything is quite correct |
| --W.S. Gilbert |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

On 23 Dec 2004 09:35:04 -0800, "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Does anyone have any experience with combining a 24 hole paired spoke
>Bontrager rim to a standard 24 hole front hub? Does the even spacing of
>the holes on a standard hub allow building it with same length spokes,
>or would you run in to a pattern problem?
>
>Thanks, Dave

Sheldon's right; use radial and you'll be fine.

The spokes on one flange will be slightly "ahead" of the spokes in the
other flange, but in practice it works well.

> Does anyone have any experience with combining a 24 hole paired spoke
> Bontrager rim to a standard 24 hole front hub? Does the even spacing of
> the holes on a standard hub allow building it with same length spokes,
> or would you run in to a pattern problem?
>
> Thanks, Dave

Dave: 24-spoke Bontrager road rims are generally used for rear wheels, and
will often have an asymmetrical spoke bead. Those should not be used for a
front wheel, where the rim doesn't require "dishing."

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> Dave: 24-spoke Bontrager road rims are generally used for rear

wheels, and
> will often have an asymmetrical spoke bead. Those should not be used

for a
> front wheel, where the rim doesn't require "dishing."
>
> --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
> www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Mike's right about the 24 hole Bontrager road rims being asym (for rear
wheels), but I've used them for fronts without any problems. The dish
is only about 1.5mm, not mch compared to rear wheels. And with 4 more
spokes than Bontrager front wheels they've worked well for me and a
friend so far.