buying a beginner racing bike

klop

Oct 4, 2010
i have a budget of about $700 AU and want to buy a bike for racing i have no problem going second hand i just dont know what to look for. the main racing i will be doing will be with a club near me obviously in the lowest skill group. i have looked at a few different bikes including the felt f95, giant TCR and giant OCR range i have also seen the cell s2200 but have read mixed reviews for those who dont know what it is look here http://www.cellbikes.com.au/Beginner-Road-Bike-Shimano-2200-CELL-2010?sc=7&category=12632. what bikes should i be looking at?

scratch that its come down to an oppy A4 or A5 (preferably A5) and a scoot speedster s20. which is better and are there any bikes similar that i should be looking at?

Originally Posted by klop .

scratch that its come down to an oppy A4 or A5 (preferably A5) and a scoot speedster s20. which is better and are there any bikes similar that i should be looking at?
S-2200 Road Bike. it will be better.

Steve
dealsourcedirect.com

i was hoping to get a 105 groupset at minimum as i would like to race it. ignore the budget i realize that it is completely hopeless to find a bike for my needs on that budget unless its second hand and at the moment there are not really and second hand bikes on ebay or craigslist i could use.

A 105 groupset or equivalent SRAM groupset would be a great choice as a minimum. But don't disregard racing on lesser components. Tiagra, while not as fancy, can still be raced. I did for years and kept up with the group no problem. Heck there were a few guys racing with downtube shifters that could blow me away. So don't think you need to spend an incredible amount of money to get into racing. If you can afford it great, but if not get what you can and ride it hard.

so essentially I'm to look at tiagra or better and whatever bike feels the best go with?

ive been looking at the oppy A4 now i havnt seen a bad review for them but cant decide if i should save up a bit longer and get the a5? any advice?

Well the A4 certainly looks nice and the components are fine. If the price difference is small then the A5 is certainly a better choice, but if it means a long wait then you have to decide. Just so you know, there will always be a better bike for just a bit more. At some point you need to decide what your limit is.

You are looking for a beginner road racing bike. I was as well. I opted for the Trek 1200 with Tiagra and it was a great choice. After a few years I felt I needed an upgrade and went with a carbon fiber road bike with 105/ultegra and it is really a great bike. But I still have the old Trek which I use on bad weather days and early season training. I have even fitted a rack on it for commuting to work on. I certainly don't regret buying the "lesser bike" top start with.

i've decided to go for the A4 so i have money for pedals, shoes and whatever else i need to get thanks for the advice.

Reactions: TKOS
haha thanks now its just a matter of convincing my parents im not wasting my money /img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif