Buying from BikesDirect

hopheadhippy

Jan 31, 2015
Hey all, I'm new to this and looking to make a new purchase. After a lot of research I have read pros and cons of both buying online and at my local shop. I can't seem to find anything at a local shop anywhere near the deals i am seeing online. Wondering if their is any real problem with buying online and if anyone can recommend a better deal for the price and build quality (though I know it's low end it is still quality entry level stuff from what Ive read) than this... http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29_sport_xiii.htm I welcome any and all advice. Thanks in advance.

If you simply type "bikesdirect" in the search window at the top of the page, you will find at least a dozen threads dealing with the ins and outs and upsides and downsides of dealing with BikesDirect.

For your convenience, I will repeat my mantra on this vendor.

The MSRPs listed are BS. They generally refer to the MSRPs of comparably equipped bikes from top rate vendors like Trek and Specialized, which they are not. Also, those top rated bikes are usually selling 5-8 percent below MSRP. Take MSRP with a grain of salt. The frame designs are somewhat dated, the finish is perfunctory, and there is scrimping in the parts spec, usually where less experienced buyers are not likely to see it.

If you've never worked on bikes before, or if the quality of your work is not up to the level of what you'd put your kid or best friend on, plan on having the bike built professionally, or enlisting the aid of a local bike repair co-op. That will cost money. Call around to find out how much. It still beats having the bike fail under you, or having a miserable ride, or having something fail miles down the road because it was poorly installed in the first place, or paying a shop to correct the mistakes you've made and complete the build. If you saw the brand new Motobecane cyclocross bike that was wheeled into our shop dragging a trail of brake and shift cables, you'd clearly understand what I'm talking about.

That said, BikesDirect is a business that wants your repeat business and positive referrals. The company stands behind its products, and the prices plus the cost of a pro build accurately reflects the value of the bikes.

+1 on what Bobcat said and a few additional comments...

Regardless of price, a bicycle that doesn't fit right is never a good deal. It is very easy to get a bicycle that's too big or too small. If you're new to cycling, now's a great time to get to find a good local bicycle shop (LBS) and talk fit.

There are quite a few very specialized tools that are required to properly build and adjust a bicycle. If you don't own, or have a good friend who owns, then purchasing these tools will add to the cost of your project. Over time, however, one will likely acquire many of these tools or will become a good customer of the LBS. It's great to know how to work on one's bicycle.

Cheers,
Greg

Thanks much gentlemen! Though I have a few friends with minor knowledge, think it's time to head to my local shop and do this right. Appreciate the advise.

Originally Posted by hopheadhippy

Thanks much gentlemen! Though I have a few friends with minor knowledge, think it's time to head to my local shop and do this right. Appreciate the advise.
Good idea. I don't like to discourage people from working on their own bikes, but it's best for beginners to start with a bike that has already been properly set up, a baseline. In the long run the advice and support you get from a good shop are worth a few more bucks up front.

Hey guys, I found these two bikes at my local Performance Cycles shop. I know its a national chain with online presence but they have a store right in my town. Can you let me know your thoughts on these couple bikes both in my price range please? Is either Fugi or GT more reputable with higher quality? Does it matter or is it more about components? Would greatly appreciate your input! Thanks for your help to date. Can't wait to start riding again! http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mProduct4_10551_10052_1159681_-1_catNav http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mProduct4_10551_10052_1170256_-1_catNav

hopheadhippy said:
Hey all, I'm new to this and looking to make a new purchase. After a lot of research I have read pros and cons of both buying online and at my local shop. I can't seem to find anything at a local shop anywhere near the deals i am seeing online. Wondering if their is any real problem with buying online and if anyone can recommend a better deal for the price and build quality (though I know it's low end it is still quality entry level stuff from what Ive read) than this... http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/fantom29_sport_xiii.htm I welcome any and all advice. Thanks in advance.
Up front, you need to be aware that the [COLOR=0000FF]Motobecane Fantom29[/COLOR] has an 8-speed drivetrain vs. a 9-speed or 10-speed drivetrain ...
  • Does that matter? Probably not for a "first" bike.
Regardless, that is probably where at least $50+ in the "retail" cost difference comes from when compared to an more-or-less comparable LBS bike that is on sale ... The frame uses a comparatively old-fashioned external headset with a Fork which has a non-tapered steerer ...
  • Does that matter? I, for one, think THAT is better than a non-yet-standardized, tapered Fork + internal headset bearings. So, THAT is actually a [COLOR=008000]BIG PLUS[/COLOR] in-my-book. [COLOR=008000]Ditto[/COLOR] for the mundane English threaded BB shell.
FWIW. The other-side-of-the-coin is that a lot of newbies who buy entry level TREKs[COLOR=FF0000]/[/COLOR]etc. from a bike shop frequently end up ponying up MORE for another, better bike in the foreseeable future OR abandoning cycling ...
  • So, is it better to save a couple of hundred dollars in the here-and-now to be used on a future bike? OR, is it better to spend that $200 ([COLOR=808080]just picking a random number[/COLOR]) on a set of 180mm cranks ([COLOR=808080]just another example[/COLOR]), now, which won't be available on that hypothetical TREK[COLOR=FF0000]/[/COLOR]whatever bike as a free component swap out? IMO, the difference between inexpensive ([COLOR=808080]e.g., Acera[/COLOR]) derailleurs & much nicer derailleurs ([COLOR=808080]SLX to XTR[/COLOR]) is mostly material ([COLOR=808080]steel instead of alloy[/COLOR]) & finish AND as long as the less expensive components are maintained ([COLOR=808080]kept lubed ([COLOR=FF0000]NOT allowed to rust!![/COLOR]) & adjusted[/COLOR]) ... THAT speaks very well for Shimano's derailleurs, IMO. MY concern with the particular MOTOBECANE Fantom29 is the "quality" of the suspension fork for the terrain you anticipate that you will be riding on. I presume that one of your buddies has a 29er[COLOR=008000]/[/COLOR]26er and that your intention is to ride with them on whatever trails are in your neck-of-the-woods ... So, IMO, you need to figure out if that SunTour Suspension Fork is good-or-not for the type of riding conditions you expect to encounter AND, especially, if the fork on that hypothetical TREK[COLOR=FF0000]/[/COLOR]whatever will be comparably adequate-or-inadequate If I had to guess, sight unseen, I would guess that the SunTour crankset has steel chainrings and is really porky AND uses a square taper BB. PORKY is good if you are using the bike as a commuter because it diminishes the likelihood that it will be stolen unless the crackhead is so out of it that s/he can't tell the difference. The crankset can be replaced ... [COLOR=FF0000]It will cost as much to upgrade/update the bike from an 8-speed drivetrain to a 10-speed as from a 9-speed drivetrain to a 10-speed drivetain.[/COLOR] Heck, you may decide that you want a trendy 2x10 or trendier 1x10 drivetrain!
BTW. There is no assurance of getting a properly sized bike from a bike shop. And, after a few rides/months, you may find out that you are a VERY AGGRESSIVE rider & then you may want a smaller frame in the future ... Also, while you should expect the same quality of service from your LBS as oldbobcat provides his customers, there is no assurance that you will receive it. BTW. The difference between a really nice Hardtail frame made of aluminum & a less expensive aluminum Hardtail frame is usually in the finish of the welds ...
  • ... a trivial matter, IMO; but, of extreme importance for some.
I don't think that a Hardtail's frame contributes that much difference to the ride. Others may disagree.
  • So, assess the components on ALL of the bikes you are considering .... entry-level AND potential future bike "upgrades" ...
Will the $1000+ bike have a better Fork than the Bikes Direct bike would have if you get the FOX or MARZOCCHI or whatever-brand Fork that you might possibly put on your Motobecane as an alternate[COLOR=FF0000]/[/COLOR]replacement for the SunTour Suspension Fork?
  • Heck, you may decide that you want a Rigid Fork!
Will the $1000+ bike have better derailleurs than the Shimano SLX (?) derailleurs you eventually put on the Bikes Direct Motobecane? Will you be "okay" with whatever crankset comes on the $1000+ bike OR will you have to replace it? What about the Motobecane's disc brake calipers which I presume are cable-actuated vs. hydraulic brake calipers?
  • MY preference would actually be for cable-actuated disc brake calipers ([COLOR=808080]which I may be mistaken in believing are lower maintenance[/COLOR]). I suspect that many other people would prefer having hydraulic disc brake calipers ... The pads on hydraulic calipers close symmetrically ... a good thing, but ...
In the end, will you be able to re-sell the entry level TREK[COLOR=FF0000]/[/COLOR]whatever for enough to make up the cost difference from the Motobecane?
  • ... Probably not.
While it will probably be easier to re-sell an entry level Trek than the Motobecane should the day ever come when you feel a need for a new bike, will the future amount received be that much ([COLOR=FF00000]bikes depreciate at a more horrendous rate than automobiles!!![/COLOR])?!?
  • ... Probably not.

Originally Posted by hopheadhippy

Hey guys,
I found these two bikes at my local Performance Cycles shop. I know its a national chain with online presence but they have a store right in my town. Can you let me know your thoughts on these couple bikes both in my price range please? Is either Fugi or GT more reputable with higher quality? Does it matter or is it more about components? Would greatly appreciate your input! Thanks for your help to date. Can't wait to start riding again!
http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mProduct4_10551_10052_1159681_-1_catNav

http://www.performancebike.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/mProduct4_10551_10052_1170256_-1_catNav
I'm favoring the Fuji.

oldbobcat said:
I'm favoring the Fuji.
[COLOR=FF00AA]EEEEeeee!!!! [/COLOR] Either you didn't read the specs of the two bikes OR you want the OP to have a bad experience ...
  • BECAUSE, the particular FUJI has the only Shimano derailleurs which I would probably try to avoid! And, the apparent lack of lockout on the Fuji's Suspension Fork make it less desirable than a Suspension Fork which has lockout. And, the [COLOR=FF0000]7-speed [/COLOR]14-34 Freewheel is probably inadequate for anything other than paved bike trails ... And, using the Fuji's wheels for any future upgrades is made that much more expensive UNLESS the bike is going to be converted to a Single Speed ...
It's not that I am the arbiter of value in inexpensive bikes, but I would rate the particular Fuji as a distant third of the three ...
  • The Motobecane has the dis-/advantage of having 36h wheels ... nothing wrong with 4 extra spokes.
So, I would consider it to be mostly an aesthetic choice between the Motobecane's frame & the GT's frame ... PLUS, the presumed availability of in store warranty service for the GT vs. limited-or-no warranty beyond initial this-or-that for the Motobecane.

Originally Posted by alfeng

[COLOR=FF00AA]EEEEeeee!!!! [/COLOR]
Y're right, I spaced on finding the spec link on the new Performance web page. An 8-speed freehub is better than a 7-speed freewheel hub any day.

Originally Posted by alfeng

[COLOR=FF00AA]EEEEeeee!!!! [/COLOR]
  • And, the [COLOR=FF0000]7-speed [/COLOR]14-34 Freewheel is probably inadequate for anything other than paved bike trails ...
Wasn't 7-speed state of the art for MTB's "back in the day"???
wink.png

The negative of buying from Bikes Direct is pure nonsense, those negatives were given by someone who either owns or works in an LBS and knows they can't beat Bikes Direct bikes components for components frame for frame in price so they bad mouth them as much as possible. Look, all you have to do is type into your google search the brand and model of the bike your looking and then type after that "reviews" with the quotes of course, and then read for yourself what owners say about those bikes. Not all Bikes Direct bikes are great, they sell some real inexpensive ones that are probably one level up from Walmart quality which isn't saying much, but as the price goes up Bikes Direct bikes get tougher to beat.

On that Motobecane Fantom 29er I found this review site that 55 owners told their story about that bike; see: http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/29er-hardtail/motobecane/fantom/prd_437376_1548crx.aspx There are more on the internet so research it yourself.

Assembling a bike isn't a big deal, they give you instructions, and if you're still not sure you can order this: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/parts/assembly_kit.htm Once you have the bike all put together than take it to an LBS if your not sure on how to tune it. Assembling a bike can cost from $125 to $150, but checking a bike over and tuning it cost around $60 (prices do vary from city to city).

Originally Posted by Froze
-snip-

Assembling a bike isn't a big deal, they give you instructions, and if you're still not sure you can order this: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/parts/assembly_kit.htm Once you have the bike all put together than take it to an LBS if your not sure on how to tune it. Assembling a bike can cost from $125 to $150, but checking a bike over and tuning it cost around $60 (prices do vary from city to city).
In addition to what Froze posted... Should you pick a bike with hydraulic brakes, these can be a multi dimensional learning experience. There's the first time one squeezes the lever when the disk isn't installed you will learn how to pry open the brake pads. Getting air out of the brake lines is simple with the right stuff. It's much less "fun" if you do this with a friend with experience. Shops out here charge $80 or so to bleed a set of hydraulic brakes. If the brakes are setup properly by the factory or BD, then no worries and you're good for a long time. Bike maintenance and setup isn't rocket science, just a bit of patience and perseverance.

Ya know, I don't know if it's just because I've gotten older or that I'm just more cynical in my old age, but I would be willing to bet that 99.9% of the people spending their hard earned money on all these high dollar bikes do not make a living with said bike.

Why is it that everyone thinks he/she must run out and buy the most expensive, or damn well near it, bike they can find because some guy at their local bike shop made them feel as inadequate as they could possibly feel if they didn't spend a few grand on an "entry level" bike?

Remember the days at Christmas time when you woke up, ran to the Christmas tree to see what good 'ol Saint Nick brought you and low and behold it was a shiny new bike? Most people had never even heard of the Tour de France. Yet all these people now have this overwhelming need to spend their hard earned money buying a bike that could actually win the Tour de France with the right rider.

It's the same thing with cooking. You used to be able to buy quality cooking utensils and pots and pans and spices and everything else you needed for pretty cheap...until that damn Food Network came to town. Now everybody is a chef and God forbid you cook with a Lodge cast iron Dutch oven that you can find on sale for less than $40. Noooo, if you aren't cooking with a $320 Le Creuset cast iron dutch oven then I'm not even coming to your house to eat!

I'm going to tell you all a little secret. Don't worry about what everybody else thinks about your biking gear, your hiking gear, your camping gear, or your cooking gear. Go to your local Walmart, pick you out a bike, take it home, and enjoy it. I promise you, you are not going to be crippled for life just because you rode a Walmart bicycle for the two to three months that you are actually going to ride it before sticking it in the back corner of your garage or basement. Seriously, that's about as long as most people are going to stick with it before cooking up all kinds of excuses as to why they can't continue riding their bike.

Don't believe me? Get on Craigslist and do a search for the type of bike you are interested in. Nearly every single one of them will tell you the exorbitant amount of money they paid for it, how it was barely ridden, and what a great deal they are letting you have it for, AND if you act now they will throw in every single piece of gear that makes you look and feel like Lance Armstrong while riding that awesome gently used bike. A lot of them will probably also mention the fact that they thought they would like riding a bike better than what they actually did. I'll bet they wished they would have seen this rant.

Seriously, people, don't be a sheeple. Buy you and/or your family a cheap bike(s) and go have fun. Then, with all your hard earned money you saved, put that into your retirement fund or put it towards your mortgage. Then, one day when you are too old to ride a bike you can sit on the front porch of your paid off home and watch the other sheeple ride their multi-thousand dollar bikes and just smile that knowing smile.

And by the way, this concept applies to every purchase you make from this point on for the rest of your life. It took me a lot of years to figure this out and I wish someone would've pointed this out to me a long time ago, but better late than never I guess.

You're welcome.

Ya know, I don't know if it's just because I've gotten older or that I'm just more cynical in my old age, but I would be willing to bet that 99.9% of the people spending their hard earned money on all these high dollar bikes do not make a living with said bike.

Why is it that everyone thinks he/she must run out and buy the most expensive, or damn well near it, bike they can find because some guy at their local bike shop made them feel as inadequate as they could possibly feel if they didn't spend a few grand on an "entry level" bike?

Remember the days at Christmas time when you woke up, ran to the Christmas tree to see what good 'ol Saint Nick brought you and low and behold it was a shiny new bike? Most people had never even heard of the Tour de France. Yet all these people now have this overwhelming need to spend their hard earned money buying a bike that could actually win the Tour de France with the right rider.
I'm going to tell you all a little secret. Don't worry about what everybody else thinks about your biking gear, your hiking gear, your camping gear, or your cooking gear. Go to your local Walmart, pick you out a bike, take it home, and enjoy it. I promise you, you are not going to be crippled for life just because you rode a Walmart bicycle for the two to three months that you are actually going to ride it before sticking it in the back corner of your garage or basement. Seriously, that's about as long as most people are going to stick with it...

Rayzer - I appreciate you're thoughts & even thought process, but while I agree with the concept of what you are saying, you could be giving very dangerous BAD information here!

Yes - I also see waaaay too many people spending waaaay more than they should on a bike. But the Huffy, Murray, Pacifica, etc. **** bikes from Walmart, target, and dept stores have EARNED their reputation of being "disposable" bikes. If you are lucky, it will just be the poorly built wheels or the cheap @Ss components that break down whilst on a leasurely 5 mph roll on the paved bike path through the park. If someone gets their "road" bike up to max velocity or even worse attempts to take one of those craptastic "mountain" bikes on an actual hard core trail... It could result in actual & very serious injury. I have seen it happen, many many times. None of those Junkers are made strong enough to actually hold together when pushed (as in someone trying to really fly on their road bike or someone trying to actual jam through actual singletrack/downhill trails). I've seen frames buckle under the pressure (yes, actually bend) or have parts snap (crank arm broke on one guy & what was left of the crank arm dove into his leg just above his ankle bone). also seen bikes bust right at the welds, hard to ride with the bottom bracket scrapping ont the ground (after the down tube separated from the head to, the chainrings also folded like origami.

To follow your idea - I will agree many people are given poor guidance from their LBS spoke jockeys and pay way more than they need to, but even buying the base line "mountain" Trek isn't actually a strong enough bike to go thrash & jam around in the woods. If someone is going to go do some real off-road riding or some serious road bike riding, they should get a certain level of bike. BUT I AGREE THEY DON'T HAVE TO SPEND A COUPLE/FEW THOUSAND BUCKS TO GET ONE!
What I usually recommend is that Craigslist route to pick up a good quality "old" bike. Especially for road bikes, an old steel Panasonic, Trek, Peugeot, Raleigh, Fuji, or a not-as-old aluminum Cannondale, Trek, Giant... Can be picked up for the same price as those $#itty dept store bikes, will last way longer, and will actually be fun (not to mention safer) to ride. But mtbs too - there are some GREAT old hardtail steel & aluminum frame 26ers out there that can still thrash & crash through the gnarly **** & just need washed off at the end of a great ride.

I agree with your thought, but don't get carried away and give dangerous advice... a Lodge cast iron pan (which I own! For the same reason you gave) IS WAY DIFFERENT than a bike, dude.