campagnolo cassette pawl spring

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Woodall, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    Investigating why my (old) campag 8 speed cassette hub wasn't running smoothly I discovered that one
    of the pawl springs had broken. The other two springs don't look too healthy either, appearing
    slightly rusty. In addition the O-ring has stretched (presumably allowing the salty water in over
    the winter)

    I cleaned out the hub earlier in the year so the broken spring might just be hamfistedness when I
    reassembled it so the other two springs might be ok.

    I've found http://www.branfordbike.com/campy/campy.html which sells the springs and O-ring. Does
    anybody know any UK site that sells the springs at least?

    Or will I do better getting a new hub (or wheel)? Am I going to end up having to upgrade almost
    everything?

    Regards,

    Tim.

  2. Pete Whelan

    Pete Whelan Guest

    Tim Woodall wrote:
    > Investigating why my (old) campag 8 speed cassette hub wasn't running smoothly I discovered that
    > one of the pawl springs had broken. The other two springs don't look too healthy either, appearing
    > slightly rusty. In addition the O-ring has stretched (presumably allowing the salty water in over
    > the winter)
    >
    > I cleaned out the hub earlier in the year so the broken spring might just be hamfistedness when I
    > reassembled it so the other two springs might be ok.
    >
    > I've found http://www.branfordbike.com/campy/campy.html which sells the springs and O-ring. Does
    > anybody know any UK site that sells the springs at least?
    >
    > Or will I do better getting a new hub (or wheel)? Am I going to end up having to upgrade almost
    > everything?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Tim.

    Mercian Cycles (Derby) or Whiskers (Hertford area) should be able to provide. There is a Campagnolo
    main agent in the UK, but I forget who it is now. A few years ago it was Mercian.

    Pete

    interchange 12 for 21 to reply

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Tim Woodall wrote:
    > Investigating why my (old) campag 8 speed cassette hub wasn't running smoothly I discovered that
    > one of the pawl springs had broken. The other two springs don't look too healthy either, appearing
    > slightly rusty. In addition the O-ring has stretched (presumably allowing the salty water in over
    > the winter)
    >
    > I cleaned out the hub earlier in the year so the broken spring might just be hamfistedness when I
    > reassembled it so the other two springs might be ok.
    >
    > I've found http://www.branfordbike.com/campy/campy.html which sells the springs and O-ring. Does
    > anybody know any UK site that sells the springs at least?

    Email or phone these companies: http://www.parker-international.co.uk/components.htm
    http://www.btinternet.com/~merciancycleslimited/ http://www.sdeals.com/system/index.html

    Alternatively, could find a second-hand hub for parts.

    > Or will I do better getting a new hub (or wheel)?

    Maybe it would be a good idea to cut your losses if hub bearings are dodgy as well, etc.......

    > Am I going to end up having to upgrade almost everything?

    No, you could get a 9*-speed hub and respace cassette for 8-speed if you wish. There would also be
    the advantage of more and cheaper cassettes (Veloce) - and lighter weight and easier servicing if
    getting Centaur+.

    * All current Campag hubs take both 9 and 10sp cassettes.

    ~PB

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > There is a Campagnolo main agent in the UK, but I forget who it is now.

    Select Cycles. Has anyone here used them? Wot R they like?

    ~PB