Campy Daytona?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by moe42171, Apr 20, 2004.

1. moe42171

moe42171 New Member

I am looking at buying a 2002 Wilier mortirolo Scandium and it is stocked with Campy Daytona 10 speed. I know very little about Daytona other than the fact it didn't ship for very long and was replaced by Centaur I believe. I am currently riding an older Tommasini steel bike with a Ultegra group and am pretty happy with the performance. Will the Daytona group be similar, better or worse than my current Ultegra? Thanks to any responses provided.

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

Depends on if you like campy or shimano better, and how well each is tuned. Centaur/daytona is about the equavilant of ultegra,in the comparative lineups.

3. moe42171

moe42171 New Member

To be honest I have never used Campy but would not want to take a step down from Ultegra. I figured they were about an equivalent especially since my Ultegra is about 4/5 years old. Thanks for your response.

4. angrydave

angrydave New Member

I think you would find the Centaur/Daytona to be better than 6 year old Ultegra. This debate rages on and on, but honestly, It would NOT be a step down.

5. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

6 year old ultegra is still 9 speed, and later changes are relatively minor. Assuming it ain't wore out,but it is still a bit of an apples to organges comparison to new stuff.

6. mjw_byrne

mjw_byrne New Member

The other thing, which you probably know already, is that the levers work differently - you use a thumb lever to shift to smaller cogs, and the front shifter is essentially friction. You might find that's the biggest difference you notice.