Campy Daytona?

moe42171

Apr 20, 2004
I am looking at buying a 2002 Wilier mortirolo Scandium and it is stocked with Campy Daytona 10 speed. I know very little about Daytona other than the fact it didn't ship for very long and was replaced by Centaur I believe. I am currently riding an older Tommasini steel bike with a Ultegra group and am pretty happy with the performance. Will the Daytona group be similar, better or worse than my current Ultegra? Thanks to any responses provided.

Originally posted by moe42171
I am looking at buying a 2002 Wilier mortirolo Scandium and it is stocked with Campy Daytona 10 speed. I know very little about Daytona other than the fact it didn't ship for very long and was replaced by Centaur I believe. I am currently riding an older Tommasini steel bike with a Ultegra group and am pretty happy with the performance. Will the Daytona group be similar, better or worse than my current Ultegra? Thanks to any responses provided.
Depends on if you like campy or shimano better, and how well each is tuned. Centaur/daytona is about the equavilant of ultegra,in the comparative lineups.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Depends on if you like campy or shimano better, and how well each is tuned. Centaur/daytona is about the equavilant of ultegra,in the comparative lineups.

To be honest I have never used Campy but would not want to take a step down from Ultegra. I figured they were about an equivalent especially since my Ultegra is about 4/5 years old. Thanks for your response.

Originally posted by moe42171
To be honest I have never used Campy but would not want to take a step down from Ultegra. I figured they were about an equivalent especially since my Ultegra is about 4/5 years old. Thanks for your response.

I think you would find the Centaur/Daytona to be better than 6 year old Ultegra. This debate rages on and on, but honestly, It would NOT be a step down.

Originally posted by angrydave
I think you would find the Centaur/Daytona to be better than 6 year old Ultegra. This debate rages on and on, but honestly, It would NOT be a step down.
6 year old ultegra is still 9 speed, and later changes are relatively minor. Assuming it ain't wore out,but it is still a bit of an apples to organges comparison to new stuff.

The other thing, which you probably know already, is that the levers work differently - you use a thumb lever to shift to smaller cogs, and the front shifter is essentially friction. You might find that's the biggest difference you notice.