rebuilding campy daytona rd

-Lsq Dhs ]

Guest
i recently upgraded my road bike to chorus and moved my 2yo daytona stuff onto an older frame for
time trial use. however, the barrel adjustment on the rear derailleur is, well, shot, with rotating
the barrel in either direction not doing squat; the spring is also missing.

can this be repaired/rebuilt, or am i really needing to buy a new rear derailleur?

so far, it is functioning just fine, but i am curious about 6 months and on down the road.

reply as you can.//d

In article <[email protected]>, [ dhs ] <[email protected]> wrote:
>i recently upgraded my road bike to chorus and moved my 2yo daytona stuff onto an older frame for
>time trial use. however, the barrel adjustment on the rear derailleur is, well, shot, with rotating
>the barrel in either direction not doing squat; the spring is also missing.
>
>can this be repaired/rebuilt, or am i really needing to buy a new rear derailleur?
>
>so far, it is functioning just fine, but i am curious about 6 months and on down the road.

Here are a few ways to deal with it:

1. Use a barrel-adjuster somewhere else on the bike, such as where the housing from the shift lever
meets the frame (assumes Ergo style shifter).

2. Use a barrel adjuster with a nut on it. If the adjuster spins freely in the derailleur, add a nut
to the adjuster so that you can operate it by holding the nut and moving the adjuster normally.

3. Get a (slightly) larger diameter threaded barrel adjuster and tap the derailleur to match it.

Also, just wondering if the adjuster in your derailleur is actually the original one, or if it got
lost and replaced with one that is the wrong thread for your derailleur.

--Paul

You can put a barrel stop adjuster into the cable stop.

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003 21:29:04 GMT, "[ dhs ]" <[email protected]> wrote:

>i recently upgraded my road bike to chorus and moved my 2yo daytona stuff onto an older frame for
>time trial use. however, the barrel adjustment on the rear derailleur is, well, shot, with rotating
>the barrel in either direction not doing squat; the spring is also missing.
>
>can this be repaired/rebuilt, or am i really needing to buy a new rear derailleur?
>
>so far, it is functioning just fine, but i am curious about 6 months and on down the road.
>
>reply as you can.//d

dseiler-<< i recently upgraded my road bike to chorus and moved my 2yo daytona stuff onto an older
frame for time trial use. however, the barrel adjustment on the rear derailleur is, well, shot, with
rotating the barrel in either direction not doing squat; the spring is also missing.

So ya need a new barrall adjuster? Part number is RD-AT-115(9s rear der), spring is RD-RE-013 but
any spring will
do.

If the rder is a 10s unit(starting in 2001), then the barrell adjuster is a finer pitch
one-RD-DA-014-

See yer bike shop, they should have them.

<< however, the barrel adjustment on the rear derailleur is, well, shot, with rotating the barrel in
either direction not doing squat; the spring is also missing.

I guess from the other two answers, that the threads of the rear der are toasted for the barrel
adjuster. Try to get these threads tapped, then use a barrel adjuster or as others have said, use
the BA on the down tube on an inline one-

"[ dhs ]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> i recently upgraded my road bike to chorus and moved my 2yo daytona stuff onto an older frame for
> time trial use. however, the barrel adjustment on the rear derailleur is, well, shot, with
> rotating the barrel in either direction not doing squat; the spring is also missing.
>
> can this be repaired/rebuilt, or am i really needing to buy a new rear derailleur?
>
> so far, it is functioning just fine, but i am curious about 6 months and on down the road.

Doesn't all Campagnolo parts/groups have 3 year warranties? If this is "normal" wear and tear, it
should be covered. That's why I am mystified by inquiries about replacing their springs in ERGO
brifters when they should be warrantied (unless the Campagnolo warranties are a myth).

chan-<< That's why I am mystified by inquiries about replacing their springs in ERGO brifters when
they should be warrantied (unless the Campagnolo warranties are a myth).

See 'normal wear and tear' above. Would you really want to send your lever to a service facility for
1-2 weeks instead of having it fixed on the spot??

In article <[email protected]>, Qui si parla Campagnolo
<[email protected]> wrote:

>So ya need a new barrall adjuster? Part number is RD-AT-115(9s rear der), spring is RD-RE-013 but
>any spring will
>do.
>
>If the rder is a 10s unit(starting in 2001), then the barrell adjuster is a finer pitch
>one-RD-DA-014-
>
>See yer bike shop, they should have them.

Peter you are such an infernal optimist.

Have you ever tried finding small parts like that at any bike shop other than Vecchio's? :)

There is a small minority of shops that stock small parts and an even smaller minority that stock
Campy small parts.

I have had local shops with $5000 carbon bikes on the floor tell me that there is "no such thing" as
a 10mm keyed axle washer for sale... but they could sell me a hub. Do ya think they have 10s
derailleur barrel adjusters with funny Eyetalian threading?

--Paul