Campy Mirage vs Veloce

Paul Westall

Guest
Has anyone compared Campy's Mirage to their Veloce line of components? Is there a great difference
in durability and accuracy/smoothness of shifting? Or are the differences mostly in weight and
cosmetics. Also, whatever happened to the Athena and Daytona lines-just renamed? Paul

The Athena group got changed to Daytona and then changed again to Centaur. Can't say anything about
Mirage or Veloce. I would think that they are in the 105 range where as the Centaur group is more
news:[email protected]...

Paul Westall wrote:
> Has anyone compared Campy's Mirage to their Veloce line of components? Is there a great difference
> in durability and accuracy/smoothness of shifting? Or are the differences mostly in weight and
> cosmetics.

They are similar.

A few examples: Mirage & Veloce cranks are the same but the Mirage triple (now) comes with a
steel inner ring. Mirage has plastic brake and gear levers but the shifting innards of the Veloce
Ergos are the same (so they must shift equally well). Hoods and pulley wheels are the same.
Veloce brake calipers have orbital adjustment. Mirage deraillurs have some plastic parts. Veloce
cassettes are chromed.

> Also, whatever happened to the Athena and Daytona lines-just renamed?

Daytona was renamed Centaur in 2002 for trade mark reasons. Athena is no more.

~PB

On Sun, 06 Apr 2003 17:31:23 GMT, "Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Has anyone compared Campy's Mirage to their Veloce line of components? Is there a great difference
>in durability and accuracy/smoothness of shifting? Or are the differences mostly in weight and
>cosmetics. Also, whatever happened to the Athena and Daytona lines-just renamed? Paul

Cosmetics mainly. I happen to like the black plastic Mirage Ergo including the black painted
rear derailleur. The internal replacement parts are the same. It appears that the chainrings
are the same.

> It appears that the chainrings are the same.

Except for the 2003 Mirage Triple inner which is steel.

~PB

"Paul Westall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Has anyone compared Campy's Mirage to their Veloce line of
components?
> Is there a great difference in durability and
accuracy/smoothness of
> shifting? Or are the differences mostly in weight and
cosmetics.

Mostly the latter. I prefer Veloce's metal shift levers to Mirage's plastic ones. Other than that,
the biggest practical difference for me is that Mirage has cartridge bearing hubs rather than normal
cup and cone ones. I much prefer good old cups and cones, for easy serviceability. However, I'm not
sure if Daytona has these either.

Matt O.

>> It appears that the chainrings are the same.
>
> Except for the 2003 Mirage Triple inner which is steel.

After checking the website, I see that the double inner is steel as well. The rest are al. See:
www.campagnolo.com/groupsets.php?gid=5&cid=7

~PB

Matt O'Toole wrote: ..........
> the biggest practical difference for me is that Mirage has cartridge bearing hubs rather than
> normal cup and cone ones.

That's no longer the case. Both Mirage and Veloce current rear hubs use cartridge bearings. See:
www.campagnolo.com/pdf/spares03_B.pdf - page 13

> I much prefer good old cups and cones, for easy serviceability.

The Campagnolo cartridge ones seem to work and last well though, and at least you never have to
worry about any adjustment.

> However, I'm not sure if Daytona has these either.

No, Daytona/Centaur/Chorus/Record use cup and cones (with a new design). They're very nice.

~PB

pwestall-<< Has anyone compared Campy's Mirage to their Veloce line of components? Is there a great
difference in durability and accuracy/smoothness of shifting?

Take the Veloce ERGO, replace the shifters and brake blade with a plastic ones and you get Mirage.
Paint the fder and rder body black and you get Mirage.

<< Or are the differences mostly in weight and cosmetics. Also, whatever happened to the Athena and
Daytona lines-just renamed?

Cosmetics almost entirely-Athena became Daytona in 2000, became Centaur in 2002-

Paul Kopit <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...

> Cosmetics mainly. I happen to like the black plastic Mirage Ergo including the black painted
> rear derailleur. The internal replacement parts are the same. It appears that the chainrings are
> the same.

Not keen on the plastic Ergo levers, but the black paintwork on the derailleurs is a nice touch -
reminiscent of the old Mavic ones! Aside from the paint, not sure if there are any differences
other than cosmetic between the gear mechs in the two groups. Only possible one is the use of steel
for inner *and* outer link plates on the rear mech in the Mirage group; think both have all-steel
pulley cages.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

matt-<< Other than that, the biggest practical difference for me is that Mirage has cartridge
bearing hubs rather than normal cup and cone ones.

Mirage and Veloce hubs are the same-

<< However, I'm not sure if Daytona has these either.

Cup and cone, like Chorus and Record, with an oversized aluminum axle-

> matt-<< Other than that, the biggest practical difference for me is that Mirage has cartridge
> bearing hubs rather than normal cup and cone ones.
>
> Mirage and Veloce hubs are the same-
>
> << However, I'm not sure if Daytona has these either.
>
> Cup and cone, like Chorus and Record, with an oversized
aluminum axle-

Couldn't remember where the "break point" was in the Campy line...

How about the brakes these days? Mirage used to have single pivot, "better" groups double...

Anyway, even though I'd prefer the "better" stuff, there's nothing wrong with Mirage. I've put
in many miles on a friend's Mirage bike, and I like it a lot. Works great, even the single
pivot brakes.

Matt O.

Matt O'Toole wrote:
> How about the brakes these days? Mirage used to have single pivot, "better" groups double...

They're all dual pivot* now, right down to Xenon - the new bottom group.

* except for rear brake in the "Differential" Chrorus/Record option.

~PB