Campy/Shimano drivetrain compatibility issues



ctkrohn

New Member
May 7, 2004
7
0
0
First of all, I don't want this to be a Campy vs. Shimano thread.

Anyway, I have a quick question: What difficulties arise when mixing and matching drivetrain parts from the different manufacturers? For example, is there anything wrong with using an Ultegra 10-speed cassette, chain, and chainrings? How are Campy and Shimano casettes different? Is it just the splines? What about chains and chainrings?

I ask because I might be getting a deal on a cheap Ultegra-10 bike, and I'd like to swap out most of the parts for Campy. But I don't want to buy a new cassette, chain, and chainrings if I don't have to.
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
ctkrohn said:
First of all, I don't want this to be a Campy vs. Shimano thread.

Anyway, I have a quick question: What difficulties arise when mixing and matching drivetrain parts from the different manufacturers? For example, is there anything wrong with using an Ultegra 10-speed cassette, chain, and chainrings? How are Campy and Shimano casettes different? Is it just the splines? What about chains and chainrings?

I ask because I might be getting a deal on a cheap Ultegra-10 bike, and I'd like to swap out most of the parts for Campy. But I don't want to buy a new cassette, chain, and chainrings if I don't have to.
There are major differences, besides cassette/hub spline patterns..Cog spacing is different,Shifter pull and derailer throw ratios are different.Chainrings use different BCD. There may be a shiftmate device that allows the campy 10 shifters and RD to work with a shimano 10 casette.
 

ctkrohn

New Member
May 7, 2004
7
0
0
boudreaux said:
There are major differences, besides cassette/hub spline patterns..Cog spacing is different,Shifter pull and derailer throw ratios are different.Chainrings use different BCD. There may be a shiftmate device that allows the campy 10 shifters and RD to work with a shimano 10 casette.

What do you mean by BCD? Between-chainring distance?

I've seen cranksets used with both Shimano and Campy, e.g. those made by FSA. How does that work out?
 

boudreaux

New Member
Oct 16, 2003
5,133
0
0
ctkrohn said:
What do you mean by BCD? Between-chainring distance?

I've seen cranksets used with both Shimano and Campy, e.g. those made by FSA. How does that work out?
It works.Campy cranks work with shimano drivetrains and the other way around.You sure you are high enough up the ladder for this kind of fooling around without tossing alot of money down a rathole.?
 

ctkrohn

New Member
May 7, 2004
7
0
0
boudreaux said:
It works.Campy cranks work with shimano drivetrains and the other way around.You sure you are high enough up the ladder for this kind of fooling around without tossing alot of money down a rathole.?

Haha, yeah, I'm looking for a new racing bike for the upcoming collegiate road season. Starting off at cat B (Collegiate categories run from D (lowest) to A) and then hoping to move to A before conference championships. Our team has deals with Jamis and Specialized, but they only make bikes with Shimano.
 

Similar threads