Can anyone become a pro bike racer?

Number 9

Guest
Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating, training,
etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?

Thanks in advance!

Number 9 wrote:
> Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating,

training,
> etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?
>

> Thanks in advance!

No.

"Number 9" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating, training,
> etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?
>

> Thanks in advance!

Maybe.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

Number 9 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating, training,
> etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?

> Thanks in advance!

MAYBE

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 03:33:42 GMT, "Number 9" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating, training,
>etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?

Depends. Can you afford to finance your own team?

Number 9 wrote:
> Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating,

training,
> etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?
>

> Thanks in advance!

Dumbass -

Just call up that D3 team that you pay to be on. They'll be happy to
have you.

K. Gringioni.

Number 9 wrote:
> Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating, training,
> etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?

Depends on your vet and your dog.

crit PRO wrote:
> Number 9 wrote:
> > Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating,

> training,
> > etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?
> >

> > Thanks in advance!

> No.

Ha loser. The answer is Yes. Just more hate.

"Number 9" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating, training,
> etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?

You get to be a super-athlete by training, training, training - PROPERLY.
You may not be able make any significant achievements if you aren't
physically gifted to some extent or another, but you can certainly become a
pro simply by working hard at it. There are plenty of guys who have.

On 19 Jan 2005 13:07:43 -0800, "Rik Van Diesel"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>crit PRO wrote:
>> Number 9 wrote:
>> > Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating,

>> training,
>> > etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?
>> >

>> > Thanks in advance!

>> No.

>Ha loser. The answer is Yes. Just more hate.

he says No because they didn't include EPO.

Musashi

In article <[email protected]>, Rik
Van Diesel <[email protected]> wrote:

> crit PRO wrote:
> > Number 9 wrote:
> > > Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating,

> > training,
> > > etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?
> > >

> > > Thanks in advance!

> > No.

> Ha loser. The answer is Yes. Just more hate.

Well since you have to be a Cat 1 racer before you can become a Pro (
in the U.S. at least for the past couple of years this has been the
case) I'd say not just anyone can be a Pro.

"Number 9" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating, training,
> etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?
>

> Thanks in advance!

You know, I would have to say yes, because the 1st thing you need is
dedication. 2ndly I say yes because you say miles, eating and training, not
drugs; because drugs is one of the 1st things that can kill a pro career;
now I know a lot of folks will jump on that and say I am wrong, but the fact
is that the uci is getting stricter on cheaters and sophisticated detection
methods are improving, if you are in your youth as you sound to be, in a few
years you should be able to start a pro career and have it last much longer
staying drug-free.

Great cyclists are not just born- they really work hard to develop their
talent; no one just falls on a bike and starts racing away- so there you go,
follow your passion to the extreme

Laz

> "Number 9" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating,
>> training,
>> etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?

> You get to be a super-athlete by training, training, training -
> PROPERLY. You may not be able make any significant achievements if you
> aren't physically gifted to some extent or another, but you can
> certainly become a pro simply by working hard at it. There are plenty
> of guys who have.

Does the "plenty who have" outnumber the plenty who haven't. Obviously
this does not include everybody or anybody. I would think that a basic
minimum natural ability would be a major determining factor. Even then,
the minimum natural ability would require a maximum of dedication to
succeed. Again not everyone has that kind of dedication so the answer is
"no". What's in your wallet?

Phil H

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:07:17 -0800, "Philip Holman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "Number 9" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>> Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating,
>>> training,
>>> etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?

>> You get to be a super-athlete by training, training, training -
>> PROPERLY. You may not be able make any significant achievements if you
>> aren't physically gifted to some extent or another, but you can
>> certainly become a pro simply by working hard at it. There are plenty
>> of guys who have.

>Does the "plenty who have" outnumber the plenty who haven't. Obviously
>this does not include everybody or anybody. I would think that a basic
>minimum natural ability would be a major determining factor. Even then,
>the minimum natural ability would require a maximum of dedication to
>succeed. Again not everyone has that kind of dedication so the answer is
>"no". What's in your wallet?
>
>Phil H

Maybe he means that anyone can become a Pro in the sense that--

If you quit your job and live solely on your winnings from bicycle
racing then you are a professional bike racer. Any knucklehead can do
that.

Maybe the question should read... Can anyone make a living as a pro
bike racer? But then we have to define what making a living is. I know
some Pros who don't make what I would call a living but they are Pros
none the less.

Ok, Can just anyone make 30K+ per year as a professional bicycle
racer?

I'd say NO. In fact, I'd say HELL NO. Most people, no matter how hard
they train, how well they eat, or even how much instruction they
receive cannot become a professional bicycle racer that would make
30K+ per year.

Musashi

Fricking junior.

The hard work and dedication angle can possibly get you on-par with Cat
1 and 2 riders. Might even get you to the back of the starting line at
Downer's Grove. But to end up in the Tour, you'll have to demonstrate
your star qualities pretty early in your bike racing career.

I'm curious: How many of you riders (over the age of 25) still have
"become a pro" at the top of your list of long-term goals? How many of
you are Cat 1's? How many are Cat 3's? Get my drift?

What I'm getting at: If you don't have (very) significant results by
this age (Prospect Park does not count), do you really think you're
ever headed to Paris? NO.

Makes alot of sense, thanks!

> "Number 9" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Can anyone become a "pro" bike racer with enough miles, eating,

training,
> > etc? Or are all these guys super-atheletes?

> You get to be a super-athlete by training, training, training - PROPERLY.
> You may not be able make any significant achievements if you aren't
> physically gifted to some extent or another, but you can certainly become

> pro simply by working hard at it. There are plenty of guys who have.

Makes sense!

news:[email protected]...