Can Campy nine-speed bar ends be used in friction mode?

billhpeloton

May 20, 2010
I inherited a set of Campy nine-speed bar end shifters and would like to use them. Does anyone know if the levers can be switched to friction mode? If that's possible how is it done?

Thanks!

Bill H.

billhpeloton said:
I inherited a set of Campy nine-speed bar end shifters and would like to use them. Does anyone know if the levers can be switched to friction mode? If that's possible how is it done?

Thanks!

Bill H.

Nope, cannot.

billhpeloton said:

Thanks!

Bill H.

Throw them away and get some proper shimano gears ;)

billhpeloton said:
How is your bike currently configured? Shimano 9-speed?

10-speed?

Less?

Other?

So, what type of bike were you trying to use the bar ends on?

BTW. I presume the LEFT Campagnolo bar end shifter is friction ...

If that is the case, then just use the normally-LEFT shifter for the rear derailleur and the normally-RIGHT shifter for the front derailleur -- that is, mount the Left shifter on the right side of the handlebar, and the Right shifter on the left side of the handlebar & attach the cables the way you normally would.
Voilà ... you've transformed the Campagnolo bar ends into Friction Mode use!
You should (now) be able to use the Campagnolo bar ends with anything from a vintage/("10-speed") bike which may have SIMPLEX derailleurs (or, similarly vintage derailleurs) to an 11-speed Campagnolo drivetrain.

Of course, the normally-RIGHT shifter will be compatible with a Triple crankset/derailleur, too.